Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Re: May I send a message to spanishspeaking members of the group?

    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 21, 2009
      Well, the list has moved on to other topics, but I might speak to this one.
      I didn't want to chime in at first because I wanted to give others an
      opportunity to express their opinion.

      Elizabeth's was the only opinion, but similar to mine, pointing out that the
      request was very polite. But do keep in mind that English is common to all
      on this list which does not mean it's everyone's preferred language, only
      that it's our shared one. Therefore the only way you can engage EVERYone in
      conversation here is through English.

      But you are welcome to post what you like here. This is an unmoderated
      list, so whatever you post will appear here.

      I might suggest that, if you post in other languages, you explain in
      English, a sentence or two, what the message is about, so that all will
      understand its appropriateness.

      And also, keep in mind that whereas we are all teachers and learners of
      languages, and some of us live in cultures where many languages are spoken,
      so it's not that we mind other languages per se, but we have so many
      languages here that you must consider how you might respond to postings in
      Russian, Arabic, Korean, Hungarian... I'm just grabbing languages at random
      to illustrate the point that messages in some of these languages might not
      speak to you personally, while those in English will reach all of us.

      But if it's appropriate, for a worthy cause, and you think this list can
      further your purposes, and if it doesn't impose on others (once won't :-)
      then go ahead.

      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 21, 2009
        Thank you Vance and Elizabeth for your comments. Yes you are wright and
        english is the common language for digital technologies, and there are many
        reasons for that, but one of them, I think is culture. The english speaking
        world (Great Britain, USA, Australia, and many etc's) developed TIC's
        because it is part of their culture. When it comes to other cultures, beyond
        economics, language and educational barriers, there is also the cultural
        one. That�s why I think we ought to develop a whole virtual infraestructure
        in the language of our culture (cheqk on www.World Values Survey for this
        point) but considering the cultural aspects that might restrain or develop
        the use of TIC's.
        In the case of my culture, I think latinos are much more visually and sound
        oriented than other cultures used to written communication, and therefor we
        oughth to be developing audio-visual materials for teaching, for example.
        The idea was to invite the spanish speaking persons in the webheads
        community to join our little experiment at
        http://wikieducator.org/Conectividad_Latinoamericana, but there were no
        answers!
        Hope they join now, and wait for your kind reactions to the present mailing.
        Buenas Fiestas!
        LO

        2009/12/21 Vance Stevens <vstevens@...>

        > Well, the list has moved on to other topics, but I might speak to this one.
        >
        > I didn't want to chime in at first because I wanted to give others an
        > opportunity to express their opinion.
        >
        > Elizabeth's was the only opinion, but similar to mine, pointing out that
        > the
        > request was very polite. But do keep in mind that English is common to all
        > on this list which does not mean it's everyone's preferred language, only
        > that it's our shared one. Therefore the only way you can engage EVERYone in
        >
        > conversation here is through English.
        >
        > But you are welcome to post what you like here. This is an unmoderated
        > list, so whatever you post will appear here.
        >
        > I might suggest that, if you post in other languages, you explain in
        > English, a sentence or two, what the message is about, so that all will
        > understand its appropriateness.
        >
        > And also, keep in mind that whereas we are all teachers and learners of
        > languages, and some of us live in cultures where many languages are spoken,
        >
        > so it's not that we mind other languages per se, but we have so many
        > languages here that you must consider how you might respond to postings in
        > Russian, Arabic, Korean, Hungarian... I'm just grabbing languages at random
        >
        > to illustrate the point that messages in some of these languages might not
        > speak to you personally, while those in English will reach all of us.
        >
        > But if it's appropriate, for a worthy cause, and you think this list can
        > further your purposes, and if it doesn't impose on others (once won't :-)
        > then go ahead.
        >
        > Vance

        Luis Ord��ez

      • Evelyn Izquierdo
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 21, 2009
          Dear Luis:

          I am so sorry for not answering before. I was quite busy finishing my research work (Trabajo de ascenso). I had to hand in it last week, so I focused all my energy on that. Thanks God it's over, I am free now!!!!. I'll be more than glad to join your project. Just let me know what to do.
          Warm wishes,

          Evelyn Izquierdo
          Escuela de Educación
          Universidad Central de Venezuela
          http://evelynizquierdo.wordpress.com/
          http://beyondtheenglishclassroomwalls.blogspot.com/

        • Helping North
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 21, 2009
            Dear Luis,

            I liked the idea of having a section in Wikieducator with information in Spanish. I would like to join you too.
            I started a blog in Spanish some time ago, may I add a link to it in this "conectividad Latinoamericana"?
            Have a look and tell me please (comments are welcome)
            www.explorando-web20.blogspot.com
            Thanks
            Paula

            Reply to sender | Reply to group Messages in this topic (3)
            Recent Activity:

            New Members 1
            Visit Your Group Start a New Topic
            When replying to postings, please delete this footer and extraneous text from reply BUT retain info to help retain context :-) http://webheads.info

            MARKETPLACE

            Going Green: Your Yahoo! Groups resource for green living

            Parenting Zone: Your community resource for family and home

            .

            Yahoo! Cocina

            http://ar.mujer.yahoo.com/cocina/

          • Dafne
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 21, 2009
              Hi Luis,

              Thanks for the invitation. On your first message I did not see any invitation, only a question if you could send a message to this list in Spanish.

              I think that there are visual learners all over the world, and Webheads are known for their creativity in audio-visual artifact creations :-)

              I will visit the site you have shared with us.

              Cheers,

              Daf

> [...]

              > I might suggest that, if you post in other languages, you explain in
              > English, a sentence or two, what the message is about, so that all will
              > understand its appropriateness.
              >
              > And also, keep in mind that whereas we are all teachers and learners of
              > languages, and some of us live in cultures where many languages are spoken,
              >
              > so it's not that we mind other languages per se, but we have so many
              > languages here that you must consider how you might respond to postings in
              > Russian, Arabic, Korean, Hungarian... I'm just grabbing languages at random
              >
              > to illustrate the point that messages in some of these languages might not
              > speak to you personally, while those in English will reach all of us.
              >
              > But if it's appropriate, for a worthy cause, and you think this list can
              > further your purposes, and if it doesn't impose on others (once won't :-)

              Luis Ordóñez

              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 26, 2009
                Dear Luis,

                Please feel free to post your message here.

                There are many things you did correctly. You asked just to be sure. You
                were considerate of list culture. It's obvious that you participate on the
                list (some people just send messages without regard to what the feeling of
                the group will be on receipt of the message). So I would say that you have
                more than earned the right to post this particular message :-)

                To all others,

                I hope you had a happy Friday and I wish you a happy boxing day and best
                wishes for the new year 2010.

                Vance
                reading your messages on return to Abu Dhabi from a brief trip to Doha

> [...]

                > English, a sentence or two, what the message is about, so that all will
                > understand its appropriateness.
                >
                > And also, keep in mind that whereas we are all teachers and learners of
                > languages, and some of us live in cultures where many languages are
                > spoken,
                >
                > so it's not that we mind other languages per se, but we have so many
                > languages here that you must consider how you might respond to postings in
                > Russian, Arabic, Korean, Hungarian... I'm just grabbing languages at
                > random
                >
                > to illustrate the point that messages in some of these languages might not
                > speak to you personally, while those in English will reach all of us.
                >
                > But if it's appropriate, for a worthy cause, and you think this list can
                > further your purposes, and if it doesn't impose on others (once won't :-)

                Luis Ordóñez

              • Maria D
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 26, 2009
                  Dear Vance,

                  Your answer to Luis makes me happy to belong to (lurk in) this list. Some people preach openness, others simply exercise it. Thank you!

                  And... isn't it your birthday today? Same day as one of my sons', right in the middle of the holiday season :-) A very happy birthday to you (if I got it right)

                  Hugs,
                  Mary (in hot, stormy Argentina)

                  --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Vance Stevens <vstevens@...> wrote:

                  > Dear Luis,
                  >
                  > Please feel free to post your message here.
                  >
                  > There are many things you did correctly. You asked just to be sure. You
                  > were considerate of list culture. It's obvious that you participate on the
                  > list (some people just send messages without regard to what the feeling of
                  > the group will be on receipt of the message). So I would say that you have
                  > more than earned the right to post this particular message :-)
                  >
                  > To all others,
                  >
                  > I hope you had a happy Friday and I wish you a happy boxing day and best
                  > wishes for the new year 2010.
                  >
                  > Vance
                  > reading your messages on return to Abu Dhabi from a brief trip to Doha

                • Luis Arnoldo Ordoñez Vela
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 3, 2010
                    !Happy year to all of of you!. Vance you acted as recomended by the fifth
                    discipline.
                    Best wishes
                    LO

                    2009/12/26 Vance Stevens <vstevens@...>

                    > Dear Luis,
                    >
                    > Please feel free to post your message here.
                    >
                    > There are many things you did correctly. You asked just to be sure. You
                    > were considerate of list culture. It's obvious that you participate on the
                    > list (some people just send messages without regard to what the feeling of
                    > the group will be on receipt of the message). So I would say that you have
                    > more than earned the right to post this particular message :-)
                    >
                    > To all others,
                    >
                    > I hope you had a happy Friday and I wish you a happy boxing day and best
                    > wishes for the new year 2010.
                    >
                    > Vance
                    > reading your messages on return to Abu Dhabi from a brief trip to Doha

                    Luis Ord��ez