multi-lingual proverbs/sayings

  • Cora
    Message 1 of 37 , Dec 6, 2009
      Dear All,

      It is so interesting to see the variations of the saying "When the cat is way, the mice will play." Many thanks to Dafne, Teresa, Susan Burg, Nina Liuylkun, Jane, Hanaa (hanaakhamis), Andreas AuwÃaerter, and Mariel for their contributions!

      I thought it might be a good idea to put together the sayings in various languages on a site as our ongoing collaborative project by the webheads:

      <http://sites.google.com/site/proverbssayings/cats-mice-3>
      <http://sites.google.com/site/proverbssayings/>

      Having a collection of proverbs and sayings in a variety of languages on a site can be an ongoing fun collaborative project, and we can use this site for teaching as well. Students can also learn about different cultures where these proverbs/sayings are used while comparing the different regional linguistic features in these proverbs/sayings that express the same ideas.

      Each page on this site can start with an English saying on top, followed by the variations of this saying in many languages in their native scripts, with English translations and explanations. Below or next to each of the sayings in different languages, there can be also an audio file in its native language (use one vice tool to create a uniform look or use any voice tools you like. Maybe a voice thread?)

      It's just an idea. Please let me know what you think. Feel free to edit or correct any mistakes you find on the site.

      Log in:
      www.google.com/sites

      username: proverbs(dot)sayings(at)gmail.com
      password: prosaying

      Dear Hanaa: It would be great if you could write your Arabic saying directly on the site, because the Arabic scripts don't seem to show properly in our Yahoo mail.

      Many thanks,
      Cora Chen
    • Mary
      Message 37 of 37 , Feb 14, 2010
        That makes sense, and thank you both for your great advice! :)