Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Re: A World First

    Message 1 of 28 , Dec 4, 2009
      Hi,

      This is an enjoyable thread :-). Sorry people didn't hang out in TI last
      Sunday long enough to coincide. I'll certainly be there this coming Sunday
      at noon GMT. Webheads have been meeting at noon GMT each Sunday since
      1998, over 11 years now. It's good to hear that people dropped by this last
      Sunday, even if they didn't hook up, at least we have a record that they
      were there, and there's likelihood there will be people on hand this Sunday,
      and the one after, etc.

      Dennis does pop by now and then, as does Michael, plus a few regulars whom I
      hesitate to mention for fear of omission. We also get a lot of drop-ins,
      some return and others don't, but I think the charm of the event is when
      people we haven't seen in a long while pop by just to say hello.

      It could be that there are better times to meet for some, but of course
      there is no one-size-fits-all when it comes to scheduling worldwide events.
      Of course anyone is welcome to organize other times, but there are so many
      factors. One is the venue itself. Tapped In is not the most robust meeting
      point these days, but we often migrate elsewhere as circumstances dictate,
      second life, wiziq, elluminate, wherever people are in the mood to go.

      Some such gatherings seek to stage an event at each meeting, and we do that
      sometimes, possibly not often enough. Of course, anyone is welcome to stage
      an event, and we've recently had Speed Geeking, and Speed Lifing events. You
      might notice that gatherings where there is obligation to produce a
      set-piece week after week have short shelf-life, useful when they happen,
      but difficult to sustain.

      The weekly TI event is a simple proof of concept. It's patterned on the pub
      or country club model. It's not a business meeting or professional
      gathering where you are challenged to be at your best each week. You can
      drop in if you feel like it and it's unusual that you'll find no one there.
      There's no obligation to attend but you're welcome when you walk in. What
      goes on at these gathererings? We've often been asked and are as often at a
      loss to answer. I guess in a word: LEARNING. Other words come to mind:
      networking, small-talk, bonding, sharing, demonstrating.

      I've often said that anything that requires the presence of any individual
      in order for it function is probably not worth doing in the long run. The
      true test of an endeavor is if it endures when a given individual withdraws
      for whatever reason. I personally find Webheads too stimulating to want to
      withdraw any time soon, but I'd like to think that the group would carry on
      if any one person left, because it's an integral part of other people's
      lives, independent of any one person.

      So hope to see you this coming Sunday, noon GMT, in the usual place, if
      you're awake, free, so inclined. And if not this Sunday or even this year,
      then some time soon.

      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 4, 2009
        Of course, blanket forgiveness to anyone who wants to enjoy nature or family
        (or both as in my case, our son Glenn flew in from Qatar to meet Bobbi and I
        for diving in Mauritius ;-) ... and Teresa was the ONE Webhead who did the
        Speed Geek in response to our earlier challenge.

        I have an idea for a second one! I don't think this Sunday will be
        convenient for me (first day back at school after a break, a bit hectic!).
        Maybe the 13th, would anyone else like to do a 5-10 minute Speed Geek then?

        Message 3 of 28 , Dec 5, 2009
          That's interesting!

          Dafne says in Spanish the saying is "Cuando el gato no está, los ratones hacen fiesta", but in Argentina we say "Cuando el gato no está los ratones bailan".

          I remember reading somewhere that the second part of a proverb is only seldom used in conversation, since it is shared knowledge, thus giving rise to a number of variations even in the same community.

          A fun thread indeed.

          Mariel

          --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "nina.lyulkun@..." <nina.lyulkun@...> wrote:

          > In Russian: Ð`ез кота мышам раздолье. - The fine day for the mice when cat is
          > away.
          >
          > A fun thread!
          >
          > :-)
          > Keep smiling,
          > Nina

        • Nina Liakos
          Message 4 of 28 , Dec 7, 2009
            Just reading this post on Monday and wanted to say that yesterday's chat at Tapped In was particularly well-attended--thanks perhaps at least in part to Vance's very eloquent post. :-)
            Nina (who usually drops in for at least an hour)