Re: A World First - cats and mice

  • hanaakhamis
    Message 1 of 28 , Dec 3, 2009
      In Egyptian Arabic: إن غاب القط إلعب يا فار
      Transliterated: [in-3'aab el2ot el3ab ya faar]
      Very close to the English version: When the cat is away, the mice will play.

      Seems to be a universal concept:)

      Hanaa

      --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "susaneburg" <smoky7@...> wrote:

      > As for cats and mice......In Italian you say:
      >
      > Quando il gatto non c'è, i topi ballano!
      >
      > When the cat is gone the mice dance!
      >
      > (Seems like these Latin mice know how to dance, eh?)
      >
      > :-) Susan
      >

      > > In German: "Wenn die Katze aus dem Haus ist, tanzen die Maeuse auf dem Tisch."
      > >
      > > When the cat is out of the house, the mice dance on the table.
      > >
      > > It would be interesting to see similar sayings in other languages as well.
      > >
      > > Cora C.

    • Natasha Jovanovich
      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 3, 2009
        Dear Hanaa

        Universal it is! In my mother tongue it goes the same as well
        I've been told even jokes get around just changing the names of the main
        characters

        Natasha
        Belgrade, Serbia

        _____

        Transliterated: [in-3'aab el2ot el3ab ya faar]
        Very close to the English version: When the cat is away, the mice will play.

        Seems to be a universal concept:)

        Hanaa

        --- In evonline2002_ <mailto:evonline2002_webheads%40yahoogroups.com>
        webheads@yahoogroups.com, "susaneburg" <smoky7@...> wrote:

        > As for cats and mice......In Italian you say:
        >
        > Quando il gatto non c'è, i topi ballano!
        >
        > When the cat is gone the mice dance!
        >
        > (Seems like these Latin mice know how to dance, eh?)
        >
        > :-) Susan
        >

        > > In German: "Wenn die Katze aus dem Haus ist, tanzen die Maeuse auf dem
        Tisch."

        > > When the cat is out of the house, the mice dance on the table.
        > >
        > > It would be interesting to see similar sayings in other languages as
        well.

        > > Cora C.

        19:32:00

      • Andreas Auwärter
        Message 3 of 28 , Dec 3, 2009
          Am 03.12.2009 um 23:06 schrieb Natasha Jovanovich:
          Dear Hanaa,
          >>> In German: "Wenn die Katze aus dem Haus ist, tanzen die Maeuse auf dem
          > Tisch."

          I know this as: "Wenn die Katze aus dem Haus ist, tanzen die Maeuse auf dem Dach.", which means they are dancing on the roof. Would be interesting to find out if it's a regional derivate. But it is also present by others on the web.

          >>> When the cat is out of the house, the mice dance on the table.
          >>>
          >>> It would be interesting to see similar sayings in other languages as
          > well.
          >>>
          >>> Cora C.

          Regards
          Andreas

          Message 4 of 28 , Dec 4, 2009
            Hi,

            This is an enjoyable thread :-). Sorry people didn't hang out in TI last
            Sunday long enough to coincide. I'll certainly be there this coming Sunday
            at noon GMT. Webheads have been meeting at noon GMT each Sunday since
            1998, over 11 years now. It's good to hear that people dropped by this last
            Sunday, even if they didn't hook up, at least we have a record that they
            were there, and there's likelihood there will be people on hand this Sunday,
            and the one after, etc.

            Dennis does pop by now and then, as does Michael, plus a few regulars whom I
            hesitate to mention for fear of omission. We also get a lot of drop-ins,
            some return and others don't, but I think the charm of the event is when
            people we haven't seen in a long while pop by just to say hello.

            It could be that there are better times to meet for some, but of course
            there is no one-size-fits-all when it comes to scheduling worldwide events.
            Of course anyone is welcome to organize other times, but there are so many
            factors. One is the venue itself. Tapped In is not the most robust meeting
            point these days, but we often migrate elsewhere as circumstances dictate,
            second life, wiziq, elluminate, wherever people are in the mood to go.

            Some such gatherings seek to stage an event at each meeting, and we do that
            sometimes, possibly not often enough. Of course, anyone is welcome to stage
            an event, and we've recently had Speed Geeking, and Speed Lifing events. You
            might notice that gatherings where there is obligation to produce a
            set-piece week after week have short shelf-life, useful when they happen,
            but difficult to sustain.

            The weekly TI event is a simple proof of concept. It's patterned on the pub
            or country club model. It's not a business meeting or professional
            gathering where you are challenged to be at your best each week. You can
            drop in if you feel like it and it's unusual that you'll find no one there.
            There's no obligation to attend but you're welcome when you walk in. What
            goes on at these gathererings? We've often been asked and are as often at a
            loss to answer. I guess in a word: LEARNING. Other words come to mind:
            networking, small-talk, bonding, sharing, demonstrating.

            I've often said that anything that requires the presence of any individual
            in order for it function is probably not worth doing in the long run. The
            true test of an endeavor is if it endures when a given individual withdraws
            for whatever reason. I personally find Webheads too stimulating to want to
            withdraw any time soon, but I'd like to think that the group would carry on
            if any one person left, because it's an integral part of other people's
            lives, independent of any one person.

            So hope to see you this coming Sunday, noon GMT, in the usual place, if
            you're awake, free, so inclined. And if not this Sunday or even this year,
            then some time soon.

            Message 5 of 28 , Dec 4, 2009
              Of course, blanket forgiveness to anyone who wants to enjoy nature or family
              (or both as in my case, our son Glenn flew in from Qatar to meet Bobbi and I
              for diving in Mauritius ;-) ... and Teresa was the ONE Webhead who did the
              Speed Geek in response to our earlier challenge.

              I have an idea for a second one! I don't think this Sunday will be
              convenient for me (first day back at school after a break, a bit hectic!).
              Maybe the 13th, would anyone else like to do a 5-10 minute Speed Geek then?

              Message 6 of 28 , Dec 5, 2009
                That's interesting!

                Dafne says in Spanish the saying is "Cuando el gato no está, los ratones hacen fiesta", but in Argentina we say "Cuando el gato no está los ratones bailan".

                I remember reading somewhere that the second part of a proverb is only seldom used in conversation, since it is shared knowledge, thus giving rise to a number of variations even in the same community.

                A fun thread indeed.

                Mariel

                --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "nina.lyulkun@..." <nina.lyulkun@...> wrote:

                > In Russian: Ð`ез кота мышам раздолье. - The fine day for the mice when cat is
                > away.
                >
                > A fun thread!
                >
                > :-)
                > Keep smiling,
                > Nina

              • Nina Liakos
                Message 7 of 28 , Dec 7, 2009
                  Just reading this post on Monday and wanted to say that yesterday's chat at Tapped In was particularly well-attended--thanks perhaps at least in part to Vance's very eloquent post. :-)
                  Nina (who usually drops in for at least an hour)