Administrative list problem. Can you help?

  • Dennis Newson
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 3, 2009
      Dear colleagues,

      I am on the committee of an IATEFL (International Association of Teachers
      of English as a Foreign Language) committee and SIG (special interest
      group) - YLT- young learners and teenagers. We have an administrative
      problem and I am writing to you in case anyone has a practical solution to
      suggest.

      1. The discussion list, of which I am moderator, is open i.e. you do NOT
      have to be be an IATEFL member to belong. We use Yahoogroups and it works
      well except for some problems from pornographers and blatant advertisers.
      2. The paying members can CHOOSE whether or not to belong to the discussion
      list and have access to certain archives that are NOT open to the general
      membership.
      3. We have 680 registered members at the moment and our practical problems
      are:

      A We wish to automatise the registration of paid-up members as members of
      the discussion group. If we leave them to choice to register through us that
      can only be done on Yahoogroups at, currently, 10 per day i.e. theoretically
      68 days' work for one of us!

      B We have ruled out Ning, for example: it is too complex for many of our
      members, who do not all have easy online access.

      C I personally favoured two lists, but most of the other members of the
      committee point our some obvious disadvantages.

      As I write I find myself wondering about a system like listserv - email
      based and with the facility of different channels that can be used for
      different purposes.

      Sumarising question: Do you know of an email-based solution to the
      situation I have described above? Basically I only know of Yahoogroups and
      listserv (quite complicated to run) and thought someone out there might know
      of something unknown to us.

      Thanks very much for your time and attention,

      Dennis

      --
      Dennis Newson, retired,
      Formerly: University of Osnabrück.

    • mariel
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 5, 2009
        Hi, Dennis.

        I'm not quite sure I understand your predicament.
        On Yahoogroups, can't you make the messages section visible to everyone but the files section only to members? Then send an email (not a group invite) with the details of subscription to the group, making approval of new members required. I believe that should override the restrictions on how many to add each day (not too sure).

        Another option for the files would be to create a wiki with a generic (or personalised) username, and direct only paying SIG members there.

        My 2 cents...

        Mariel

        --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Dennis Newson <djn@...> wrote:

        > Dear colleagues,
        >
        > I am on the committee of an IATEFL (International Association of Teachers
        > of English as a Foreign Language) committee and SIG (special interest
        > group) - YLT- young learners and teenagers. We have an administrative
        > problem and I am writing to you in case anyone has a practical solution to
        > suggest.
        >
        > 1. The discussion list, of which I am moderator, is open i.e. you do NOT
        > have to be be an IATEFL member to belong. We use Yahoogroups and it works
        > well except for some problems from pornographers and blatant advertisers.
        > 2. The paying members can CHOOSE whether or not to belong to the discussion
        > list and have access to certain archives that are NOT open to the general
        > membership.
        > 3. We have 680 registered members at the moment and our practical problems
        > are:
        >
        > A We wish to automatise the registration of paid-up members as members of
        > the discussion group. If we leave them to choice to register through us that
        > can only be done on Yahoogroups at, currently, 10 per day i.e. theoretically
        > 68 days' work for one of us!
        >
        > B We have ruled out Ning, for example: it is too complex for many of our
        > members, who do not all have easy online access.
        >
        > C I personally favoured two lists, but most of the other members of the
        > committee point our some obvious disadvantages.
        >
        > As I write I find myself wondering about a system like listserv - email
        > based and with the facility of different channels that can be used for
        > different purposes.
        >
        > Sumarising question: Do you know of an email-based solution to the
        > situation I have described above? Basically I only know of Yahoogroups and
        > listserv (quite complicated to run) and thought someone out there might know
        > of something unknown to us.
        >
        > Thanks very much for your time and attention,
        >

        > Dennis
        >

        > --
        > Dennis Newson, retired,
        > Formerly: University of Osnabrück.
        > Webhead, member of SLexperiments.
        > Moderator OWL and YLTSIG lists,
        > Member of IATEFL YLTSIG committee.
        > Resident of Second Life.
        > Founder of a number of TEFL lists.
        > http://www.dennisnewson.de

      • Elizabeth
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 6, 2009
          Good idea, Mariel--
          A wiki is an easier way to organize and share materials anyway. I began using a wiki for EVO video when it seemed impossible to organize everything with files and folders in YG. The presentation is much nicer.

          Of course, the wiki would have to be made private so that non-members couldn't find the wiki pages through a simple Google search, eh? And Dennis would have to receive and approve requests for membership, if it were going to be a private wiki. And if he were going to encourage members to do some of the work of adding materials themselves.

          I've never had much luck with the latter with any of the groups and wikis I run. Anyone have any ideas on how to get people moving into the share on a wiki mode?

          --Elizabeth

          --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "mariel" <mamez2222@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > can only be done on Yahoogroups at, currently, 10 per day i.e. theoretically
          > > 68 days' work for one of us!
          > >
          > > B We have ruled out Ning, for example: it is too complex for many of our
          > > members, who do not all have easy online access.
          > >
          > > C I personally favoured two lists, but most of the other members of the
          > > committee point our some obvious disadvantages.
          > >
          > > As I write I find myself wondering about a system like listserv - email
          > > based and with the facility of different channels that can be used for
          > > different purposes.
          > >
          > > Sumarising question: Do you know of an email-based solution to the
          > > situation I have described above? Basically I only know of Yahoogroups and
          > > listserv (quite complicated to run) and thought someone out there might know
          > > of something unknown to us.
          > >
          > > Thanks very much for your time and attention,

        • Dennis Newson
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 7, 2009
            Mariel and Elizabeth,

            Thanks for fining time to reply, and thanks for mentioning wikis. I
            use them prvately a lot but they can clearly play a part in list
            activity.

            Reduced to essentials my problem is that I would like to automatize as
            many of the routine procedures as possible and I think, sticking with
            Yahoogroups I can see how that can be done.

            Dennis
          • mariel
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 8, 2009
              Dennis and Elizabeth,

              Automatisation is clearly a priority. I have just checked and PBWorks allows you to paste multiple email addresses. I haven't been able to find any reference to restrictions in numbers (though they may exist). See http://usermanual.pbworks.com/Inviting-Users and http://usermanual.pbworks.com/Access-Controls. Classroom accounts http://usermanual.pbworks.com/Classroom-Accounts would be more troublesome I think. I'm sure other wikis must have a similar feature.

              As for getting people to contribute ... that would involve so many factors ...

              Regards,

              Mariel

              --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Dennis Newson <djn@...> wrote:

              > Mariel and Elizabeth,
              >
              > Thanks for fining time to reply, and thanks for mentioning wikis. I
              > use them prvately a lot but they can clearly play a part in list
              > activity.
              >
              > Reduced to essentials my problem is that I would like to automatize as
              > many of the routine procedures as possible and I think, sticking with
              > Yahoogroups I can see how that can be done.
              >

              > Dennis

            • Dennis Newson
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 8, 2009
                Thanks Mariel,