Re: Use a coursebook or not? - Online Business English exam course

  • Nergiz
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 2, 2009
      Hi Mary, Barbara, Elisabeth and all

      Thanks so much for the valuable information and suggestions you have shared! I have bookmarked them all and I am sure they will come in handy at some point even if we decide to use a coursebook.

      @Mary, I don't have to use specific material. The owner of the school that I will design this course for and I will decide together what material to use. We only need to make sure that it covers everything the participants need for the exam (an international business English exam).

      The course will be delivered completely online with 6 -8 synchronous sessions a week and about the same amount of asynchronous self-study time over a period of 3 months. There will be a lot of project work involved.

      Copyright:
      The idea is to make the course available under a Creative Commons licence. If we use CC material, we can make everything available.

      @Elisabeth, I agree with you that creating all the material from scratch is extremely time-consuming and not an easy task. One reason why we might want to do it anyway is that the complete course is online and there are two issues here. Firstly, the copyright issues. We can't simply use the content of the book online even if we change the format. Secondly, although all students would have a copy of the book, we would have to make some material available in a digital format.

      If we used existing online material, this would save us a lot of time. But we would have to spend a lot of time finding appropriate material covering all exam topics and language at the appropriate level. So, there are pros and cons for both solutions.

      @Anne, thanks so much for this detailed account of your course. Great work!
      I didn't know Smart FM. Looks useful. I also like the idea of inviting guests to classes. You were especially lucky to have someone like Tere :)

      Thanks again for your help!

      Nergiz