Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Re: A World First - cats and mice

  • nina.lyulkun@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 28 , Dec 2, 2009
      In Russian: Без кота мышам раздолье. - The fine day for the mice when cat is
      away.

      A fun thread!

      :-)
      Keep smiling,
      Nina

    • susaneburg
      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 2, 2009
        As for cats and mice......In Italian you say:

        Quando il gatto non c'è, i topi ballano!

        When the cat is gone the mice dance!

        (Seems like these Latin mice know how to dance, eh?)

        :-) Susan

        > In German: "Wenn die Katze aus dem Haus ist, tanzen die Maeuse auf dem Tisch."
        >
        > When the cat is out of the house, the mice dance on the table.
        >
        > It would be interesting to see similar sayings in other languages as well.
        >
        > Cora C.
      • hanaakhamis
        Message 3 of 28 , Dec 3, 2009
          In Egyptian Arabic: إن غاب القط إلعب يا فار
          Transliterated: [in-3'aab el2ot el3ab ya faar]
          Very close to the English version: When the cat is away, the mice will play.

          Seems to be a universal concept:)

          Hanaa

          --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "susaneburg" <smoky7@...> wrote:

          > As for cats and mice......In Italian you say:
          >
          > Quando il gatto non c'è, i topi ballano!
          >
          > When the cat is gone the mice dance!
          >
          > (Seems like these Latin mice know how to dance, eh?)
          >
          > :-) Susan
          >

          > > In German: "Wenn die Katze aus dem Haus ist, tanzen die Maeuse auf dem Tisch."
          > >
          > > When the cat is out of the house, the mice dance on the table.
          > >
          > > It would be interesting to see similar sayings in other languages as well.
          > >
          > > Cora C.

        • Natasha Jovanovich
          Message 4 of 28 , Dec 3, 2009
            Dear Hanaa

            Universal it is! In my mother tongue it goes the same as well
            I've been told even jokes get around just changing the names of the main
            characters

            Natasha
            Belgrade, Serbia

            _____

            Transliterated: [in-3'aab el2ot el3ab ya faar]
            Very close to the English version: When the cat is away, the mice will play.

            Seems to be a universal concept:)

            Hanaa

            --- In evonline2002_ <mailto:evonline2002_webheads%40yahoogroups.com>
            webheads@yahoogroups.com, "susaneburg" <smoky7@...> wrote:

            > As for cats and mice......In Italian you say:
            >
            > Quando il gatto non c'è, i topi ballano!
            >
            > When the cat is gone the mice dance!
            >
            > (Seems like these Latin mice know how to dance, eh?)
            >
            > :-) Susan
            >

            > > In German: "Wenn die Katze aus dem Haus ist, tanzen die Maeuse auf dem
            Tisch."

            > > When the cat is out of the house, the mice dance on the table.
            > >
            > > It would be interesting to see similar sayings in other languages as
            well.

            > > Cora C.

            19:32:00

          • Andreas Auwärter
            Message 5 of 28 , Dec 3, 2009
              Am 03.12.2009 um 23:06 schrieb Natasha Jovanovich:
              Dear Hanaa,
              >>> In German: "Wenn die Katze aus dem Haus ist, tanzen die Maeuse auf dem
              > Tisch."

              I know this as: "Wenn die Katze aus dem Haus ist, tanzen die Maeuse auf dem Dach.", which means they are dancing on the roof. Would be interesting to find out if it's a regional derivate. But it is also present by others on the web.

              >>> When the cat is out of the house, the mice dance on the table.
              >>>
              >>> It would be interesting to see similar sayings in other languages as
              > well.
              >>>
              >>> Cora C.

              Regards
              Andreas

              Message 6 of 28 , Dec 4, 2009
                Hi,

                This is an enjoyable thread :-). Sorry people didn't hang out in TI last
                Sunday long enough to coincide. I'll certainly be there this coming Sunday
                at noon GMT. Webheads have been meeting at noon GMT each Sunday since
                1998, over 11 years now. It's good to hear that people dropped by this last
                Sunday, even if they didn't hook up, at least we have a record that they
                were there, and there's likelihood there will be people on hand this Sunday,
                and the one after, etc.

                Dennis does pop by now and then, as does Michael, plus a few regulars whom I
                hesitate to mention for fear of omission. We also get a lot of drop-ins,
                some return and others don't, but I think the charm of the event is when
                people we haven't seen in a long while pop by just to say hello.

                It could be that there are better times to meet for some, but of course
                there is no one-size-fits-all when it comes to scheduling worldwide events.
                Of course anyone is welcome to organize other times, but there are so many
                factors. One is the venue itself. Tapped In is not the most robust meeting
                point these days, but we often migrate elsewhere as circumstances dictate,
                second life, wiziq, elluminate, wherever people are in the mood to go.

                Some such gatherings seek to stage an event at each meeting, and we do that
                sometimes, possibly not often enough. Of course, anyone is welcome to stage
                an event, and we've recently had Speed Geeking, and Speed Lifing events. You
                might notice that gatherings where there is obligation to produce a
                set-piece week after week have short shelf-life, useful when they happen,
                but difficult to sustain.

                The weekly TI event is a simple proof of concept. It's patterned on the pub
                or country club model. It's not a business meeting or professional
                gathering where you are challenged to be at your best each week. You can
                drop in if you feel like it and it's unusual that you'll find no one there.
                There's no obligation to attend but you're welcome when you walk in. What
                goes on at these gathererings? We've often been asked and are as often at a
                loss to answer. I guess in a word: LEARNING. Other words come to mind:
                networking, small-talk, bonding, sharing, demonstrating.

                I've often said that anything that requires the presence of any individual
                in order for it function is probably not worth doing in the long run. The
                true test of an endeavor is if it endures when a given individual withdraws
                for whatever reason. I personally find Webheads too stimulating to want to
                withdraw any time soon, but I'd like to think that the group would carry on
                if any one person left, because it's an integral part of other people's
                lives, independent of any one person.

                So hope to see you this coming Sunday, noon GMT, in the usual place, if
                you're awake, free, so inclined. And if not this Sunday or even this year,
                then some time soon.

                Message 7 of 28 , Dec 4, 2009
                  Of course, blanket forgiveness to anyone who wants to enjoy nature or family
                  (or both as in my case, our son Glenn flew in from Qatar to meet Bobbi and I
                  for diving in Mauritius ;-) ... and Teresa was the ONE Webhead who did the
                  Speed Geek in response to our earlier challenge.

                  I have an idea for a second one! I don't think this Sunday will be
                  convenient for me (first day back at school after a break, a bit hectic!).
                  Maybe the 13th, would anyone else like to do a 5-10 minute Speed Geek then?

                  Message 8 of 28 , Dec 5, 2009
                    That's interesting!

                    Dafne says in Spanish the saying is "Cuando el gato no está, los ratones hacen fiesta", but in Argentina we say "Cuando el gato no está los ratones bailan".

                    I remember reading somewhere that the second part of a proverb is only seldom used in conversation, since it is shared knowledge, thus giving rise to a number of variations even in the same community.

                    A fun thread indeed.

                    Mariel

                    --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "nina.lyulkun@..." <nina.lyulkun@...> wrote:

                    > In Russian: Ð`ез кота мышам раздолье. - The fine day for the mice when cat is
                    > away.
                    >
                    > A fun thread!
                    >
                    > :-)
                    > Keep smiling,
                    > Nina

                  • Nina Liakos
                    Message 9 of 28 , Dec 7, 2009
                      Just reading this post on Monday and wanted to say that yesterday's chat at Tapped In was particularly well-attended--thanks perhaps at least in part to Vance's very eloquent post. :-)
                      Nina (who usually drops in for at least an hour)