RE: {Disarmed} RE: [evonline2002_webheads] Shortening

  • Natasha Jovanovich
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 1, 2009
      Dear Tom,

      Oh, this is lovely! Will make it into a lesson activity to tell students to
      eliminate all the suffixes/prefixes from a reading comprehension text and
      then to swap with the partner sitting next to them and then tell the Ss to
      put the suffixes/prefixes back where they were.

      As regarding 'I prefer' ....statement, the problem is that we cannot make a
      sound argument on the basis of 'I prefer :)'
      It has to be grounded in terms of linguistics. If it is not, and we are
      given the freedom to prefer whatever we might like to prefer :) then
      everybody has to be granted the same right to prefer what we might not like
      to prefer :)

      NNST is a non native speaking teacher :)
      Natasha

      From: natasa-jovanovic@...
      Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 08:54:15 +0100

      Dear Martin

      Yes, I' ve been thinking about that as well, being a NNST.
      First time I heard it was from a Scottish friend of mine back in 2007,
      living in Hackney, London . He asked me" Is that an invite? then my
      horrible teaching 'mode' and 'mindset' :) almost jumped to say this is
      grammatically incorrect. :) Then come to think of it, who am I to say and
      who am I to judge? :)
      then once he said 'Are you wanting coffee or juice'? Then I flipped out :)
      and told him that it should be 'Would you like ' blahblah ....:) but he
      himself never never never corrected my English :)
      Then on a BBC prime TV series starring Patricia Routledge who speaks high
      standard English in that series and as you might know she always does, I
      heard 'Are you wanting Karenne?' a neighbour speaking to another neighbour
      in northern parts of England or it may have been Scotland.

      So, my point being here is can anyone or should anyone stop the change in
      any language at that ? Is the effort justifiable, the question is?
      I guess the resistance is futile
      Yes, I don't like when I see don't in formal correspondence. As for the
      invite, why not? :) I personally like it.

      What worries me is it's being used for 'its', rather than it's for 'it is '

      The chapter in 'Future Shock' by Alvin Toffler titled 'Shakespere would be
      illiterate' /if he lived in the 21st century :)/
      could be a good read.

      Rgds
      Natasha

      _____

      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 1, 2009
        Hi there, I have just read this interesting exchange about language in a TechYahooGroup. I do not know if you have noticed that Language is getting shortened and shortened , especially with the use of internet and other forms of technology. I do not know if it is for the purpose of preserving it, but  I do know that a word which is not used tends to disappear.

        However, as an EFL teacher , I would  teach my Ss these reduction forms! and youy know why they love it!!
         Katia

        Katia Hameg
        MATESOL Program
        Applied Linguistics Department
        Saint Michael's College
        Box 4219
        Colchester, VT 05439
        (802) 881- 6935
        khameg@...

        ________________________________

        I see the word "invite" used more and more instead of "invitation" . I don't
        know if I like it or not, but it looks like it's here to stay.

        ............. ......... ......... ......... ......... ......... ......... .......... .
        ............ ......... ......... ......... ......... ......... .......... ......... .
        ............ ......... ......... ......... ......... .......... ......... ......... .

        <http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/ttedsig/> yahoo.com/group/ ttedsig/ . I'll
        need your name, institution and a comment on your involvement in teacher
        training / education.

        Martin McMorrow, Massey University, Albany, New Zealand: International
        Student Podcast http://tinyurl. <http://tinyurl. com/6xy9hy> com/6xy9hy

        19:31:00

        Windows Live Hotmail is faster and more secure than ever.
        http://www.microsof t.com/windows/ windowslive/ hotmail_bl1/ hotmail_bl1. aspx?oc
        id=PID23879: :T:WLMTAGL: ON:WL:en- ww:WM_IMHM_ 1:092009

        21:05:00

      • Tom Zurinskas
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 1, 2009
          Thanks Natasha,

          This reminds me of something I've thought of called zipspell that webheads might help with. I'd like it to work like autocorrect so you can type a shortened (zipped) word and it "corrects" to the correct word when you hit the space bar or punctuation mark.

          I have a spreadsheet of thousands of zipped words in one column and the correct words in another. Problem is how to get it as a bulk entry into autocorrect. Zipping allows faster typing with fewer typos. Good for texting. Anybody have a clue.

          see truespel.com phonetic spelling

          To: evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 2, 2009
            Dear Tom

            My IT skills are below zero compared to those of Webheads :)
            So I guess they will be of great help on this account

            I am not sure I understand what you mean by 'shortened/ zipped' word?
            Shortened like in it's vs it is ?

            I guess this will drive some teachers crazy because the students
            will be able to correct/selfcorrect at a flick of a button :)
            but the idea is really good and then the Ss' brains notice, establish and
            memorize the pattern in these shortenings of words and what is
            what and which is which
            possibly better than any grammar book and lesson on infamous grammar in the
            world have ever done :)

            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 2, 2009
              --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "McMorrow, Martin"
              <m.s.mcmorrow@...> wrote:

              > Tom Zurinskas wrote:
              >

              > I see the word "invite" used more and more instead of "invitation". I
              don't know if I like it or not, but it looks like it's here to stay.

              A must-read for those interested in defending the language: David
              Crystal's Language Pundits Ate, Shot and Left
              <http://ukcatalogue.oup.com/product/9780199207640.do> .
              a great light read.
              Elizabeth Anne