RE: {Disarmed} RE: [evonline2002_webheads] Shortening

  • Tom Zurinskas
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 1, 2009
      Perhaps we should make a determine that we should save keystrokes by getting rid of all "ations". That might lead to a situ where the abbrevi would be an abomin. This is just a cogit using my imagine.

      I prefer the "it's" and "can't" in any publication. In fact "it is" and "can not" are emphatic forms. Like John McEnroe says "You can NOT be serious."

      What's (Sorry, what is) an NNST

      see truespel.com phonetic spelling

      To: evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com
      From: natasa-jovanovic@...
      Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 08:54:15 +0100
      Subject: {Disarmed} RE: [evonline2002_webheads] Shortening

      Dear Martin

      Yes, I' ve been thinking about that as well, being a NNST.
      First time I heard it was from a Scottish friend of mine back in 2007,
      living in Hackney, London . He asked me" Is that an invite? then my
      horrible teaching 'mode' and 'mindset' :) almost jumped to say this is
      grammatically incorrect. :) Then come to think of it, who am I to say and
      who am I to judge? :)
      then once he said 'Are you wanting coffee or juice'? Then I flipped out :)
      and told him that it should be 'Would you like ' blahblah ....:) but he
      himself never never never corrected my English :)
      Then on a BBC prime TV series starring Patricia Routledge who speaks high
      standard English in that series and as you might know she always does, I
      heard 'Are you wanting Karenne?' a neighbour speaking to another neighbour
      in northern parts of England or it may have been Scotland.

      So, my point being here is can anyone or should anyone stop the change in
      any language at that ? Is the effort justifiable, the question is?
      I guess the resistance is futile
      Yes, I don't like when I see don't in formal correspondence. As for the
      invite, why not? :) I personally like it.

      What worries me is it's being used for 'its', rather than it's for 'it is '

      The chapter in 'Future Shock' by Alvin Toffler titled 'Shakespere would be
      illiterate' /if he lived in the 21st century :)/
      could be a good read.

      Rgds
      Natasha

      _____

      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 1, 2009
        Dear Tom,

        Oh, this is lovely! Will make it into a lesson activity to tell students to
        eliminate all the suffixes/prefixes from a reading comprehension text and
        then to swap with the partner sitting next to them and then tell the Ss to
        put the suffixes/prefixes back where they were.

        As regarding 'I prefer' ....statement, the problem is that we cannot make a
        sound argument on the basis of 'I prefer :)'
        It has to be grounded in terms of linguistics. If it is not, and we are
        given the freedom to prefer whatever we might like to prefer :) then
        everybody has to be granted the same right to prefer what we might not like
        to prefer :)

        NNST is a non native speaking teacher :)
        Natasha

        Perhaps we should make a determine that we should save keystrokes by getting
        rid of all "ations". That might lead to a situ where the abbrevi would be
        an abomin. This is just a cogit using my imagine.

        I prefer the "it's" and "can't" in any publication. In fact "it is" and
        "can not" are emphatic forms. Like John McEnroe says "You can NOT be
        serious."

        What's (Sorry, what is) an NNST

        Tom Zurinskas, USA - CT20, TN3, NJ33, FL7+ see truespel.com phonetic
        spelling

        To: evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com

[...]

        21:05:00
      • Katia Hameg
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 1, 2009
          Hi there, I have just read this interesting exchange about language in a TechYahooGroup. I do not know if you have noticed that Language is getting shortened and shortened , especially with the use of internet and other forms of technology. I do not know if it is for the purpose of preserving it, but  I do know that a word which is not used tends to disappear.

          However, as an EFL teacher , I would  teach my Ss these reduction forms! and youy know why they love it!!
           Katia

          Katia Hameg
          MATESOL Program
          Applied Linguistics Department
          Saint Michael's College
          Box 4219
          Colchester, VT 05439
          (802) 881- 6935
          khameg@...

          ________________________________

          I see the word "invite" used more and more instead of "invitation" . I don't
          know if I like it or not, but it looks like it's here to stay.

          ............. ......... ......... ......... ......... ......... ......... .......... .
          ............ ......... ......... ......... ......... ......... .......... ......... .
          ............ ......... ......... ......... ......... .......... ......... ......... .

          <http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/ttedsig/> yahoo.com/group/ ttedsig/ . I'll
          need your name, institution and a comment on your involvement in teacher
          training / education.

          Martin McMorrow, Massey University, Albany, New Zealand: International
          Student Podcast http://tinyurl. <http://tinyurl. com/6xy9hy> com/6xy9hy

          19:31:00

          Windows Live Hotmail is faster and more secure than ever.
          http://www.microsof t.com/windows/ windowslive/ hotmail_bl1/ hotmail_bl1. aspx?oc
          id=PID23879: :T:WLMTAGL: ON:WL:en- ww:WM_IMHM_ 1:092009

          21:05:00

        • Tom Zurinskas
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 1, 2009
            Thanks Natasha,

            This reminds me of something I've thought of called zipspell that webheads might help with. I'd like it to work like autocorrect so you can type a shortened (zipped) word and it "corrects" to the correct word when you hit the space bar or punctuation mark.

            I have a spreadsheet of thousands of zipped words in one column and the correct words in another. Problem is how to get it as a bulk entry into autocorrect. Zipping allows faster typing with fewer typos. Good for texting. Anybody have a clue.

            see truespel.com phonetic spelling

            To: evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com

[...]

          • Natasha Jovanovich
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 2, 2009
              Dear Tom

              My IT skills are below zero compared to those of Webheads :)
              So I guess they will be of great help on this account

              I am not sure I understand what you mean by 'shortened/ zipped' word?
              Shortened like in it's vs it is ?

              I guess this will drive some teachers crazy because the students
              will be able to correct/selfcorrect at a flick of a button :)
              but the idea is really good and then the Ss' brains notice, establish and
              memorize the pattern in these shortenings of words and what is
              what and which is which
              possibly better than any grammar book and lesson on infamous grammar in the
              world have ever done :)

              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 2, 2009
                --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "McMorrow, Martin"
                <m.s.mcmorrow@...> wrote:

                > Tom Zurinskas wrote:
                >

                > I see the word "invite" used more and more instead of "invitation". I
                don't know if I like it or not, but it looks like it's here to stay.

                A must-read for those interested in defending the language: David
                Crystal's Language Pundits Ate, Shot and Left
                <http://ukcatalogue.oup.com/product/9780199207640.do> .
                a great light read.
                Elizabeth Anne