Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Re: A World First

  • Dennis Newson
    Message 1 of 28 , Dec 1, 2009
      Nina,

      I've been to Tapped in very rarely, and you have identified the reason - the
      meetings are midday on a Sunday. As someone increasingly active on Second
      Life, and formerly World Bridges, my long-suffering wife has got used to my
      nose being glued to my monitor for hours on end - and strange hours, late at
      night, early in the morning - but Sunday middays would take the biscuit. And
      I do rather like being married. I see it in many contexts, interested,
      dedicated peolpe are stretched more and more when it comes to time and
      fixed, regular appointments.

      Greetings to you all,

      Dennis

    • Chris Fry
      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 2, 2009
        Hi,

        I'm looking for other like-minded teachers who are already using Edmodo as
        their principal way of communicating with their adult EFL students.

        I started playing with Edmodo in June 2009 and started using it every day
        from October with my two classes of adult students here in Barcelona - we
        use it out of class 99% of the time. One class is Pre-Intermediate using New
        English File Pre-Intermediate and the other is Intermediate, using New
        English File Intermediate. We are really lucky and have available in our
        comfortable spacious class an IWB, the Digital version of our course books
        (iPacks), an excellent sound system and a reasonable internet connection.

        Using Edmodo isn't at all difficult, but ends up being very time-consuming.
        I would like to find other teachers of similar students who already use
        Edmodo every day and might be interested in sharing our ideas. If that's you
        and you would like me to invite you to the Google Wave I have set up for the
        purpose why not contact me off list at chrisfry@... You will need to
        tell me your Google Wave ID.

        Chris Fry

        Chris.Fry.Barcelona@...

        Message 3 of 28 , Dec 2, 2009
          In Portuguese: "Patrao fora, dia santo na loja!" (Boss away, we do nothing!)
          :-))

          Hugs all, Teresa
        • nina.lyulkun@gmail.com
          Message 4 of 28 , Dec 2, 2009
            In Russian: Без кота мышам раздолье. - The fine day for the mice when cat is
            away.

            A fun thread!

            :-)
            Keep smiling,
            Nina

          • susaneburg
            Message 5 of 28 , Dec 2, 2009
              As for cats and mice......In Italian you say:

              Quando il gatto non c'è, i topi ballano!

              When the cat is gone the mice dance!

              (Seems like these Latin mice know how to dance, eh?)

              :-) Susan

              > In German: "Wenn die Katze aus dem Haus ist, tanzen die Maeuse auf dem Tisch."
              >
              > When the cat is out of the house, the mice dance on the table.
              >
              > It would be interesting to see similar sayings in other languages as well.
              >
              > Cora C.
            • hanaakhamis
              Message 6 of 28 , Dec 3, 2009
                In Egyptian Arabic: إن غاب القط إلعب يا فار
                Transliterated: [in-3'aab el2ot el3ab ya faar]
                Very close to the English version: When the cat is away, the mice will play.

                Seems to be a universal concept:)

                Hanaa

                --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "susaneburg" <smoky7@...> wrote:

                > As for cats and mice......In Italian you say:
                >
                > Quando il gatto non c'è, i topi ballano!
                >
                > When the cat is gone the mice dance!
                >
                > (Seems like these Latin mice know how to dance, eh?)
                >
                > :-) Susan
                >

                > > In German: "Wenn die Katze aus dem Haus ist, tanzen die Maeuse auf dem Tisch."
                > >
                > > When the cat is out of the house, the mice dance on the table.
                > >
                > > It would be interesting to see similar sayings in other languages as well.
                > >
                > > Cora C.

              • Natasha Jovanovich
                Message 7 of 28 , Dec 3, 2009
                  Dear Hanaa

                  Universal it is! In my mother tongue it goes the same as well
                  I've been told even jokes get around just changing the names of the main
                  characters

                  Natasha
                  Belgrade, Serbia

                  _____

                  Transliterated: [in-3'aab el2ot el3ab ya faar]
                  Very close to the English version: When the cat is away, the mice will play.

                  Seems to be a universal concept:)

                  Hanaa

                  --- In evonline2002_ <mailto:evonline2002_webheads%40yahoogroups.com>
                  webheads@yahoogroups.com, "susaneburg" <smoky7@...> wrote:

                  > As for cats and mice......In Italian you say:
                  >
                  > Quando il gatto non c'è, i topi ballano!
                  >
                  > When the cat is gone the mice dance!
                  >
                  > (Seems like these Latin mice know how to dance, eh?)
                  >
                  > :-) Susan
                  >

                  > > In German: "Wenn die Katze aus dem Haus ist, tanzen die Maeuse auf dem
                  Tisch."

                  > > When the cat is out of the house, the mice dance on the table.
                  > >
                  > > It would be interesting to see similar sayings in other languages as
                  well.

                  > > Cora C.

                  19:32:00

                • Andreas Auwärter
                  Message 8 of 28 , Dec 3, 2009
                    Am 03.12.2009 um 23:06 schrieb Natasha Jovanovich:
                    Dear Hanaa,
                    >>> In German: "Wenn die Katze aus dem Haus ist, tanzen die Maeuse auf dem
                    > Tisch."

                    I know this as: "Wenn die Katze aus dem Haus ist, tanzen die Maeuse auf dem Dach.", which means they are dancing on the roof. Would be interesting to find out if it's a regional derivate. But it is also present by others on the web.

                    >>> When the cat is out of the house, the mice dance on the table.
                    >>>
                    >>> It would be interesting to see similar sayings in other languages as
                    > well.
                    >>>
                    >>> Cora C.

                    Regards
                    Andreas

                    Message 9 of 28 , Dec 4, 2009
                      Hi,

                      This is an enjoyable thread :-). Sorry people didn't hang out in TI last
                      Sunday long enough to coincide. I'll certainly be there this coming Sunday
                      at noon GMT. Webheads have been meeting at noon GMT each Sunday since
                      1998, over 11 years now. It's good to hear that people dropped by this last
                      Sunday, even if they didn't hook up, at least we have a record that they
                      were there, and there's likelihood there will be people on hand this Sunday,
                      and the one after, etc.

                      Dennis does pop by now and then, as does Michael, plus a few regulars whom I
                      hesitate to mention for fear of omission. We also get a lot of drop-ins,
                      some return and others don't, but I think the charm of the event is when
                      people we haven't seen in a long while pop by just to say hello.

                      It could be that there are better times to meet for some, but of course
                      there is no one-size-fits-all when it comes to scheduling worldwide events.
                      Of course anyone is welcome to organize other times, but there are so many
                      factors. One is the venue itself. Tapped In is not the most robust meeting
                      point these days, but we often migrate elsewhere as circumstances dictate,
                      second life, wiziq, elluminate, wherever people are in the mood to go.

                      Some such gatherings seek to stage an event at each meeting, and we do that
                      sometimes, possibly not often enough. Of course, anyone is welcome to stage
                      an event, and we've recently had Speed Geeking, and Speed Lifing events. You
                      might notice that gatherings where there is obligation to produce a
                      set-piece week after week have short shelf-life, useful when they happen,
                      but difficult to sustain.

                      The weekly TI event is a simple proof of concept. It's patterned on the pub
                      or country club model. It's not a business meeting or professional
                      gathering where you are challenged to be at your best each week. You can
                      drop in if you feel like it and it's unusual that you'll find no one there.
                      There's no obligation to attend but you're welcome when you walk in. What
                      goes on at these gathererings? We've often been asked and are as often at a
                      loss to answer. I guess in a word: LEARNING. Other words come to mind:
                      networking, small-talk, bonding, sharing, demonstrating.

                      I've often said that anything that requires the presence of any individual
                      in order for it function is probably not worth doing in the long run. The
                      true test of an endeavor is if it endures when a given individual withdraws
                      for whatever reason. I personally find Webheads too stimulating to want to
                      withdraw any time soon, but I'd like to think that the group would carry on
                      if any one person left, because it's an integral part of other people's
                      lives, independent of any one person.

                      So hope to see you this coming Sunday, noon GMT, in the usual place, if
                      you're awake, free, so inclined. And if not this Sunday or even this year,
                      then some time soon.

                      Message 10 of 28 , Dec 4, 2009
                        Of course, blanket forgiveness to anyone who wants to enjoy nature or family
                        (or both as in my case, our son Glenn flew in from Qatar to meet Bobbi and I
                        for diving in Mauritius ;-) ... and Teresa was the ONE Webhead who did the
                        Speed Geek in response to our earlier challenge.

                        I have an idea for a second one! I don't think this Sunday will be
                        convenient for me (first day back at school after a break, a bit hectic!).
                        Maybe the 13th, would anyone else like to do a 5-10 minute Speed Geek then?

                        Message 11 of 28 , Dec 5, 2009
                          That's interesting!

                          Dafne says in Spanish the saying is "Cuando el gato no está, los ratones hacen fiesta", but in Argentina we say "Cuando el gato no está los ratones bailan".

                          I remember reading somewhere that the second part of a proverb is only seldom used in conversation, since it is shared knowledge, thus giving rise to a number of variations even in the same community.

                          A fun thread indeed.

                          Mariel

                          --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "nina.lyulkun@..." <nina.lyulkun@...> wrote:

                          > In Russian: Ð`ез кота мышам раздолье. - The fine day for the mice when cat is
                          > away.
                          >
                          > A fun thread!
                          >
                          > :-)
                          > Keep smiling,
                          > Nina

                        • Nina Liakos
                          Message 12 of 28 , Dec 7, 2009
                            Just reading this post on Monday and wanted to say that yesterday's chat at Tapped In was particularly well-attended--thanks perhaps at least in part to Vance's very eloquent post. :-)
                            Nina (who usually drops in for at least an hour)