Internet or internet

  • want2no7
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 30, 2009
      My publisher is revising their style guide and deciding whether to spell internet with a capital I or not. Wired magazine and many newspapers now use the lower case, as do most webheads (or are we Webheads?) I know that the jury is still out, but I wonder what you see more often in savvy refereed journals and the like, that is, in formal, but up-to-date usage.

      Jane
    • Tom Zurinskas
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 2009
        Oh please, no capital I on "internet." No need.

        see truespel.com phonetic spelling

        To: evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com
        From: japetring@...
        Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 05:19:11 +0000
        Subject: [evonline2002_webheads] Internet or internet

        My publisher is revising their style guide and deciding whether to spell internet with a capital I or not. Wired magazine and many newspapers now use the lower case, as do most webheads (or are we Webheads?) I know that the jury is still out, but I wonder what you see more often in savvy refereed journals and the like, that is, in formal, but up-to-date usage.

        Jane

      • Dafne
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 1, 2009
          Taken from:

          http://www.wisegeek.com/should-the-internet-be-spelled-with-a-capital-i.htm

          There is actually some debate over the question of whether or not to spell Internet with a capital “I”, reflecting the fact that the English language is in a constant state of transition. In fact, when this wiseGEEK author consulted a number of style guides about the issue, a considerable amount of disagreement was found. Therefore, if you are writing a specific or formal paper, you may want to consult the style guide preferred by your organization or educational institution, to ensure that you use the form of “Internet” which will satisfy your readers.

          The argument for the use of a capital I is that Internet is a proper noun, referring not to “an internet” but to a specific, worldwide network which uses the TCP/IP protocol. Under this argument, capitalization is extremely important, because it clarifies which Internet is under discussion. Many major publications around the world follow this stylistic edict, including technical journals and publications put out by organizations which work in the field.
          When people who spell Internet with a capital “I” use the lower case, they are referring to “an internet,” a distinct interconnected network. For example, many offices and schools use an internet to connect their computers directly with one another, and an internet often has access to the Internet, just to add to the general confusion.
          Other people believe that Internet should be spelled with a lowercase “I,” citing terms like “hoovering,” which were once proper nouns, but have now become so commonplace that they are not capitalized. Supporters of this argument point out that the Internet is not protected by trademarks and copyrights in the same what that many genericized phrases are, so it makes no sense to protect the Internet with a capital “I” when this courtesy has not been extended to “spackle,” “nylon,” “zipper,” “velcro,” and numerous other products.
          Spelling “Internet” with a lower case “I” is especially common in the United States and in casual communications. However, many people believe that there should be a distinction between the Internet and an internet, as these two terms are very different. The best way to protect and clarify this distinction is to use a capital “I” when discussing the Internet, and supporters of this argument also capitalize terms like Web, Net, and WWW.

          Daf

          To: evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com
          From: japetring@...
          Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 05:19:11 +0000

          My publisher is revising their style guide and deciding whether to spell internet with a capital I or not. Wired magazine and many newspapers now use the lower case, as do most webheads (or are we Webheads?) I know that the jury is still out, but I wonder what you see more often in savvy refereed journals and the like, that is, in formal, but up-to-date usage.

          Jane

        • John Hibbs
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 1, 2009
            At 9:40 AM -0800 12/1/09, Dafne wrote:
            >Taken from:
            > <http://www.wisegeek.com/should-the-internet-be-spelled-with-a-capital-i.htm>

            Brilliant. Thanks Dafne.
          • Nina Liakos
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 4, 2009
              Well, there are now a few internets (the Chinese have one, the Saudis have one, I think the Russians may have one), so to me, small-i seems better.

              --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "want2no7" <japetring@...> wrote:

              > My publisher is revising their style guide and deciding whether to spell internet with a capital I or not. Wired magazine and many newspapers now use the lower case, as do most webheads (or are we Webheads?) I know that the jury is still out, but I wonder what you see more often in savvy refereed journals and the like, that is, in formal, but up-to-date usage.
              >
              > Jane

            • want2no7
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 5, 2009
                Dear Daf, John, Tom, Nina,

                Thank you for your Internet/internet feedback. The article Daf cited from wisegeek was interesting, but I thought "intranet" was the accepted term for an in-house interconnected network to distinguish it from the worldwide network. If so, then the distinction that was described shouldn't be an issue.

                From correspondence I got off-list it does seem that the capital I is on its way out, but Nina's point about a Chinese, Saudi or Russian internet makes me think we may have to refer to "an internet" instead of "the internet" ;-) Anyway thanks for your comments.

                Jane

                > The argument for the use of a capital I is that Internet is a proper noun, referring not to “an internet” but to a specific, worldwide network which uses the TCP/IP protocol. Under this argument, capitalization is extremely important, because it clarifies which Internet is under discussion. Many major publications around the world follow this stylistic edict, including technical journals and publications put out by organizations which work in the field.
                > When people who spell Internet with a capital “I” use the lower case, they are referring to “an internet,” a distinct interconnected network. For example, many offices and schools use an internet to connect their computers directly with one another, and an internet often has access to the Internet, just to add to the general confusion.
                > Other people believe that Internet should be spelled with a lowercase “I,” citing terms like “hoovering,” which were once proper nouns, but have now become so commonplace that they are not capitalized. Supporters of this argument point out that the Internet is not protected by trademarks and copyrights in the same what that many genericized phrases are, so it makes no sense to protect the Internet with a capital “I” when this courtesy has not been extended to “spackle,” “nylon,” “zipper,” “velcro,” and numerous other products.
                > Spelling “Internet” with a lower case “I” is especially common in the United States and in casual communications. However, many people believe that there should be a distinction between the Internet and an internet, as these two terms are very different. The best way to protect and clarify this distinction is to use a capital “I” when discussing the Internet, and supporters of this argument also capitalize terms like Web, Net, and WWW.
                >

                > Daf

              • YD Chen
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 5, 2009
                  In my web-based class,I have always emphasized the difference between 'The Internet' and ' internet'. Students have also learnt about intranet.
                  Yaodong

                  Thank you for your Internet/internet feedback. The article Daf cited from wisegeek was interesting, but I thought "intranet" was the accepted term for an in-house interconnected network to distinguish it from the worldwide network. If so, then the distinction that was described shouldn't be an issue.

                  From correspondence I got off-list it does seem that the capital I is on its way out, but Nina's point about a Chinese, Saudi or Russian internet makes me think we may have to refer to "an internet" instead of "the internet" ;-) Anyway thanks for your comments.

                  Jane