Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Re: A question on usage

  • Wendy Seale-Bakes
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 19, 2009
      May I jump in? I haven't posted anything, or even kept up with Webheads for
      a couple of years now, but am teaching ESL again and started going through
      the huge number of messages that have mounted up. This one has drawn me in.

      I would never use "girlies" with my friends or colleagues. To me it
      definitely sounds pejorative. I think this is a great question, since I
      work with a group of women in the other half of my work life and often wish
      for a warm sounding saluation to use in my emails. I've tried, "Hi Ladies",
      but didn't feel comfortable - I think because it draws attention to the fact
      that we're all women, which I didn't really want to get stuck on. Usually I
      just say "Hi everyone" or even just "Hi." It'd be great to find something
      warm and friendly, but still appropriate for a work situation.

      Wendy
      Vancouver Community College
      Canada