Phonology lab

  • Mariel Amez
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 4, 2009
      Dear webheads,

      I'm writing to ask for your advice.

      We are looking for an alternative to our "cassette-based" 24-booth phonology
      lab.

      Our current system has a general console which allows us to monitor what
      each student is doing in their booth, talk to them and provide feedback. We
      are talking about teachers and translators-to-be, studying Phonology as a
      subject, and each works at their own pace on different material, so we
      record one cassette for each student, with pauses for them to record
      themselves at the lab. They can listen to their version and repeat the same
      task as many times as they see fit.

      You can find an example of the material at:
      http://mamez.posterous.com/phonology-lab

      The same lab is used by interpreters-to-be, who all listen to the same track
      in real time and record only their interpretation on their cassettes.

      We need to go digital. We were thinking of a server to store the "master
      tracks" with students "picking" the track they need, and creating a new file
      with their voice and we understand Audacity could be a good recording
      option, but we can't figure out how to work out the monitoring.

      Can anyone make any suggestions as regards hardware and software?

      Thanks in advance.

      Mariel

      <http://mamez.posterous.com/phonology-lab>