what does it mean for you particularly to be part of the webheads in action?

  • cristina costa
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 28, 2009
      Dear all,

      as I mentioned early this month, I am here following all your interesting conversations but have been in a rather lurking mode as I need to work on my PhD ...
      however my fascination and willing to spared the word about this wonderful community is still as strong as ever. :-)

      As many of you may know, I did my Masters' research on the Webheads and some people still ask me to talk about my findings.
      This piece of research is almost 3 years old now and I think it would be more reliable to get, new fresh opinions on your own perceptions on what it means to be a webhead.
      Today I was asked to create a small resource about CoPs for this event here http://www.cibersociedad.net/congres2009/en/estatic/call-for-papers/17/ (you might consider taking part in it yourselves) so I thought the best would be to try and capture your own voice about what it means to be in a CoP, what this CoP in particular means to you and your practice.
      No matter what I tell people, I think they only really get it when they become members of the webheads... but getting more voices sharing their experiences might help them realize the potential of CoPs and of the webheads in particular.
      SO I would like to invite to leave a short audio/video message about your own experience, share some anecdotes, etc. here in this voicethread http://voicethread.com/share/633130/

      the resource will then be shared with the people taking part in the event. We will all be taking part in it then! ;-)

      I thank you in advance for your cooperation.
      You guys rock and you are a true inspiration for me! :-) Always...even when I am just lurking :-)

      beijinhos
      Cris

      Cris Costa
      Site: www.knowmansland.com
      Blog: http://knowmansland.com/learningpath
      Twitter: cristinacost
      Skype: navysternchen

    • nouredine laouni
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 29, 2009
        Dear webheads wherever you are in the world,
        i'll be so much grateful to you if you could suggest something helpful to me organize my inbox.
        don't be surprised or see it weird . i've 3507 e mails in my inbox , the greastest part is about some online courses i took before  and the rest is all about discussions of webheads. Although i don't show up , respond or comment , i follow with great zeal , motivation and  interest all the discussions taking place in the group, and as a consequence i keep all interesting e mails of webheads group in my inbox. i flag them for follow up then i return back to them to read and see the resources contained therein .
        in other words i keep the e mails for future uses and reference. However; the problem is that i don't often find the emails i'm interested in very quickly  , so i spend a lot of time looking for the right e mails , which is time and efforts consuming.
        my questions are as follows:
        how can i keep all these e mail in my inbox in a well organised way?
        Is it possible to group them all according to themes and subjects they tackle?
        are there any softwares , links that may help in this sense and achieve this objective?
        what if i want to store them online but with categories and themes for future review ?
        thanks a lot for your help. keep up the excellent job you are doing.
        nour_eddine laouni
        Mearn
        Morocco

      • cristina costa
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 29, 2009
          Hi Mearn,
          that is indeed a great question.
          Over the tiem I have developed several strategies to cope with the load of meaningful resources and messages.
          Any links i find useful, I book mark them using a social bookmarking tool (either Diigo or delicious) this helps me access them from any computer and anywhere I am as long as i have access to the web. http://webpossibilities.pbworks.com/SocialBookmarking

          As for emails and messages I don't want to delete...well it depends on which email service you are using.
          I use both yahoo and gmail.
          In yahoo create folders with relevant names and add those messages on to there.http://help.yahoo.com/tutorials/mmail/mmail/mm_search1.html
          In gmail, I simply tag them with relevant keywords (google calls them labels). I am then able to search them very easily. http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=118708&hl=en

          I hope this helps.

          ________________________________
[...]

        • Natasha Jovanovich
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 29, 2009
            Dear Mearn

            this is a lovely post! Came just in time when over here we are making a huge
            effort to raise the awareness of email communication and email management
            with our TA members.

            Looking forward for all the posts to come in the wake of your post so that I
            can cascade the knowledge gained further afield:)

            Natasha

            _____

[...]

            17:53:00

            believed to be clean.

          • Hala Fawzi
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 29, 2009
              Salam Nouredin,

              I hope you enjoyed your Eid!

              I do exactly like Cris. I suggest that you start reading each email (will take years, ha?) and start saving the links on the email to delicious/diigo under specific tags. I am sure that  you will be surprised that some tags start growing, like Web 2.0 tools, social bookmarking or video editors, etc.

              As Cris said, Gmail is the best for saving emails with posts you need to save for further readings because of the labeling feature.

              Good luck,

              Hala

              ---

            • Sasa
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 29, 2009
                Hi Nour,
                It's good to hear from you. :-)
                My reply is similar to Cris'. I use Outlook as my email client and I have folders there for things I don't want to delete.
                For non-email stuff, I like Delicious. It's really simple and efficient - all you need to do is tag your bookmarks.
                Concerning the messages in this group - I don't feel the need to keep them in my Outlook, because I can always find them online... Rather than using my email client for this, I'd bookmark important messages in delicious or diigo, because there you can simply organize them using tags.
                Hugs,
                Sasa

                --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, cristina costa <cristinacosta_pt@...> wrote:

                > Hi Mearn,
                > that is indeed a great question.
                > Over the tiem I have developed several strategies to cope with the load of meaningful resources and messages.
                > Any links i find useful, I book mark them using a social bookmarking tool (either Diigo or delicious) this helps me access them from any computer and anywhere I am as long as i have access to the web. http://webpossibilities.pbworks.com/SocialBookmarking
                >
                > As for emails and messages I don't want to delete...well it depends on which email service you are using.
                > I use both yahoo and gmail.
                > In yahoo create folders with relevant names and add those messages on to there.http://help.yahoo.com/tutorials/mmail/mmail/mm_search1.html
                > In gmail, I simply tag them with relevant keywords (google calls them labels). I am then able to search them very easily. http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=118708&hl=en
                >
                > I hope this helps.
                > Cris
                >
                > Cris Costa
                > Site: www.knowmansland.com
                > Blog: http://knowmansland.com/learningpath
                > Twitter: cristinacost
                > Skype: navysternchen

              • Dafne
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 29, 2009
                  Hi Nour,

                  I use Delicious and Google Bookmarks to keep online resources handy, and in my Yahoo and Google mail accounts, I create folders. In Google you can use tags, but I find folders easier. Yahoo does not have storage limit, so you don´t need to delete anything.

                  Daf

                  My reply is similar to Cris'. I use Outlook as my email client and I have folders there for things I don't want to delete.
                  For non-email stuff, I like Delicious. It's really simple and efficient - all you need to do is tag your bookmarks.
                  Concerning the messages in this group - I don't feel the need to keep them in my Outlook, because I can always find them online... Rather than using my email client for this, I'd bookmark important messages in delicious or diigo, because there you can simply organize them using tags.
                  Hugs,
                  Sasa

                  --- In evonline2002_ webheads@ yahoogroups. com, cristina costa <cristinacosta_ pt@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Mearn,
                  > that is indeed a great question.
                  > Over the tiem I have developed several strategies to cope with the load of meaningful resources and messages.
                  > Any links i find useful, I book mark them using a social bookmarking tool (either Diigo or delicious) this helps me access them from any computer and anywhere I am as long as i have access to the web. http://webpossibili ties.pbworks. com/SocialBookma rking
                  >
                  > As for emails and messages I don't want to delete...well it depends on which email service you are using.
                  > I use both yahoo and gmail.
                  > In yahoo create folders with relevant names and add those messages on to there.http:/ /help.yahoo. com/tutorials/ mmail/mmail/ mm_search1. html
                  > In gmail, I simply tag them with relevant keywords (google calls them labels). I am then able to search them very easily. http://mail. google.com/ support/bin/ answer.py? answer=118708& hl=en
                  >
                  > I hope this helps.
                  > Cris
                  >
                  > Cris Costa
                  > Site: www.knowmansland. com
                  > Blog: http://knowmansland .com/learningpat h
                  > Twitter: cristinacost
                  > Skype: navysternchen

                • Mary
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 29, 2009
                    Well, I do use labels in gmail and have used delicious, as is the consensus
                    so far here.

                    I created filters in google to separate emails from the several yahoo groups
                    that I belong to and gave each label a different colored marker.

                    IMPORTANT When creating a filter to separate groups, set the filter to the
                    field TO and not FROM:

                    Matches: to:(evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com)
                    Do this: Apply label "webh"
                    I have recently been using a ning group that I created to keep track of
                    sites and documents. One can give them a tag to search them. It organizes
                    everything in a blog format and keeps the documents online so that one can
                    download them from any computer.

                    My group is fairly new and I am still learning about the features offered.
                    http://redcamarocruiser.ning.com/ning
                    links section. I have not updated it in a long time, so some of the links
                    may be dead, but one can get a general idea of the scope of the
                    classification method.
                    I also created a blog with links in the side bar, but I deleted it and could
                    only recover a very old version of the blog without my most recent work.

                    http://web.archive.org/web/20051226115746/http://redcamarocruiser.blogspot.com/

                    (When I access http://redcamarocruiser.blogspot.com/ I get a message that it
                    requires an older version of java script and when I decline, the links are
                    placed at the very bottom of the page instead of in the sidebar).
                    I like the ning group the best so far for categorizing (cataloging)
                    documents and sites because it lets us upload huge files (ppts) and lets us
                    search by tags.

                    On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 9:23 AM, Dafne <dygonza@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Nour,
                    >
                    > I use Delicious and Google Bookmarks to keep online resources handy, and in
                    > my Yahoo and Google mail accounts, I create folders. In Google you can use
                    > tags, but I find folders easier. Yahoo does not have storage limit, so you
                    > don´t need to delete anything.
                    >
                    > Daf

                  • mbarek akaddar
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 29, 2009
                      Hi Si Nour ,Happy to hear from you .
                      I second Cris and Hala's suggestion to use Gmail instead of Yahoo mail
                      services . It has more features such as labelling your emails , creating
                      folders and managing different email accounts from your Gmail account.
                      However , you may like to try
                      thunderbird<http://mozilla-europe.org/fr/products/thunderbird/>2.0 to
                      manage your emails .
                      Best wishes
                      Mbarek

                      On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 11:02 AM, nouredine laouni <nourla2000@...>wrote:

                      > Dear webheads wherever you are in the world,
                      > i'll be so much grateful to you if you could suggest something helpful to
                      > me organize my inbox.
                      > don't be surprised or see it weird . i've 3507 e mails in my inbox , the
                      > greastest part is about some online courses i took before and the rest is
                      > all about discussions of webheads. Although i don't show up , respond or
                      > comment , i follow with great zeal , motivation and interest all the
                      > discussions taking place in the group, and as a consequence i keep all
                      > interesting e mails of webheads group in my inbox. i flag them for follow up
                      > then i return back to them to read and see the resources contained therein .
                      > in other words i keep the e mails for future uses and reference. However;
                      > the problem is that i don't often find the emails i'm interested in very
                      > quickly , so i spend a lot of time looking for the right e mails , which is
                      > time and efforts consuming.
                      > my questions are as follows:
                      > how can i keep all these e mail in my inbox in a well organised way?
                      > Is it possible to group them all according to themes and subjects they
                      > tackle?
                      > are there any softwares , links that may help in this sense and
                      > achieve this objective?
                      > what if i want to store them online but with categories and themes for
                      > future review ?
                      > thanks a lot for your help. keep up the excellent job you are doing.
                      > nour_eddine laouni
                      > Mearn
                      > Morocco

                    • Maria Jordano
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 29, 2009
                        There's nothing like Thunderbird...

                        Maria
                        Enviado desde mi BlackBerry� de Vodafone

                        I second Cris and Hala's suggestion to use Gmail instead of Yahoo mail
                        services . It has more features such as labelling your emails , creating
                        folders and managing different email accounts from your Gmail account.
                        However , you may like to try
                        thunderbird<http://mozilla-europe.org/fr/products/thunderbird/>2.0 to
                        manage your emails .
                        Best wishes
                        Mbarek

                        On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 11:02 AM, nouredine laouni <nourla2000@...>wrote:

                        > Dear webheads wherever you are in the world,
                        > i'll be so much grateful to you if you could suggest something helpful to
                        > me organize my inbox.
                        > don't be surprised or see it weird . i've 3507 e mails in my inbox , the
                        > greastest part is about some online courses i took before and the rest is
                        > all about discussions of webheads. Although i don't show up , respond or
                        > comment , i follow with great zeal , motivation and interest all the
                        > discussions taking place in the group, and as a consequence i keep all
                        > interesting e mails of webheads group in my inbox. i flag them for follow up
                        > then i return back to them to read and see the resources contained therein .
                        > in other words i keep the e mails for future uses and reference. However;
                        > the problem is that i don't often find the emails i'm interested in very
                        > quickly , so i spend a lot of time looking for the right e mails , which is
                        > time and efforts consuming.
                        > my questions are as follows:
                        > how can i keep all these e mail in my inbox in a well organised way?
                        > Is it possible to group them all according to themes and subjects they
                        > tackle?
                        > are there any softwares , links that may help in this sense and
                        > achieve this objective?
                        > what if i want to store them online but with categories and themes for
                        > future review ?
                        > thanks a lot for your help. keep up the excellent job you are doing.
                        > nour_eddine laouni
                        > Mearn
                        > Morocco

                      • Maria D
                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 29, 2009
                          Dear All,

                          I use Gmail and I'm quite happy with it because of the features you've already mentioned: labels to sort emails out, different colours to help visualize folders on the sidebar and, above all, the possibility of receiving the mails from different accounts in a single inbox.

                          But now I'm getting curious about Thunderbird...

                          Mary

                          --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Maria Jordano" <maria@...> wrote:

                          > There's nothing like Thunderbird...
                          >
                          > Maria
                          > Enviado desde mi BlackBerry� de Vodafone

                        • Mary
                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 29, 2009
                            My husband likes thunderbird, but when he tried to install pando, a free
                            e-mail service like yousendit to send large files, it did not work. I am
                            wondering if it is because of thunderbird.

                            I use gmail and I had no problem installing and using pando.

                            Does anyone use pando? With or without thunderbird?

                            On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 3:37 PM, Maria D <marydimonaco@...> wrote:

                            > Dear All,
                            >
                            > I use Gmail and I'm quite happy with it because of the features you've
                            > already mentioned: labels to sort emails out, different colours to help
                            > visualize folders on the sidebar and, above all, the possibility of
                            > receiving the mails from different accounts in a single inbox.
                            >
                            > But now I'm getting curious about Thunderbird...
                            >
                            > Mary
                            >

                            > --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com<evonline2002_webheads%40yahoogroups.com>,
                            > "Maria Jordano" <maria@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > There's nothing like Thunderbird...
                            > >
                            > > Maria
                            > > Enviado desde mi BlackBerry� de Vodafone

                          • vcautin
                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 1, 2009
                              Dear Mearn,

                              I use Gmail. I create filters for each course or list I join. They go
                              directly into the Archive and don't get to my inbox. When I have time, I
                              read the emails from courses, lists or newsletters received.

                              Regards,

                              Violeta

                              2009/9/29 nouredine laouni <nourla2000@...>

                              > Dear webheads wherever you are in the world,
                              > i'll be so much grateful to you if you could suggest something helpful to
                              > me organize my inbox.
                              > don't be surprised or see it weird . i've 3507 e mails in my inbox , the
                              > greastest part is about some online courses i took before and the rest is
                              > all about discussions of webheads. Although i don't show up , respond or
                              > comment , i follow with great zeal , motivation and interest all the
                              > discussions taking place in the group, and as a consequence i keep all
                              > interesting e mails of webheads group in my inbox. i flag them for follow up
                              > then i return back to them to read and see the resources contained therein .
                              > in other words i keep the e mails for future uses and reference. However;
                              > the problem is that i don't often find the emails i'm interested in very
                              > quickly , so i spend a lot of time looking for the right e mails , which is
                              > time and efforts consuming.
                              > my questions are as follows:
                              > how can i keep all these e mail in my inbox in a well organised way?
                              > Is it possible to group them all according to themes and subjects they
                              > tackle?
                              > are there any softwares , links that may help in this sense and
                              > achieve this objective?
                              > what if i want to store them online but with categories and themes for
                              > future review ?
                              > thanks a lot for your help. keep up the excellent job you are doing.
                              > nour_eddine laouni
                              > Mearn
                              > Morocco

                              Violeta Cautin
                              Iquique, Chile

                              http://fco08violeta.blogspot.com

                              http://profesoresinnovadores.ning.com
                              Facebook: Violeta Cautin Epifani

                            • Elizabeth
                              Message 14 of 14 , Oct 3, 2009
                                Hi Mearn--
                                I don't save Webheads mail because I can always go to the Yahoo Group and Search for a thread in the MESSAGES area. It's very convenient and keeps my inbox clear.

                                I'd also recommend you use Daily Digest instead of receiving all that mail individually.

                                Sorry I don't use Gmail enough to give a suggestion.

                                Cheers--
                                --Elizabeth