RE: [evonline2002_webheads] Call for a test

  • McMorrow, Martin
    Message 1 of 30 , Sep 9, 2009
      Funny that I seem to be the only one the URL works for .. and I'm the furthest away (not that that really matters!) .. I did type the url directly into my browser, rather than pasting it, just in case that makes any difference ...

      Martin McMorrow
      International Student Podcast
      http://tinyurl.com/6xy9hy

      Message 2 of 30 , Sep 9, 2009
        tried removing it, but still no avail :-(

        aiden

        Message 3 of 30 , Sep 9, 2009
          did type the url too. nah--not working.

          aiden

          Funny that I seem to be the only one the URL works for .. and I'm the furthest away (not that that really matters!) .. I did type the url directly into my browser, rather than pasting it, just in case that makes any difference ...

          Martin McMorrow
          International Student Podcast
          http://tinyurl. com/6xy9hy

          Recent Activity

           2
          New MembersVisit Your Group

          Need traffic?
          Drive customers
          With search ads
          on Yahoo!

          Yahoo! Groups
          Mental Health Zone
          Mental Health
          Learn More

          Yahoo! Groups
          Mom Power
          Find wholesome recipes
          and more. Go Moms Go!
          ..

        • Hala Fawzi
          Message 4 of 30 , Sep 9, 2009
            Mike,

            On Opera brwoser, this is what I get:    opera:illegal-url-10
            On Firefox M it takes me here: http://www.real-english.com/default_-.asp

            When I paste the URL on Google, it works fine and gets me to the home page.

            Hala
            http://englishonlinects.blogspot.com/
            I can't open it here in Portugal, and it redirects to:
            http://www.real- english.com/ default_- _.asp

            I get a "The page cannot be found " message

            Fernanda

            --
            Fernanda Rodrigues <m.f.d.rodrigues@ gmail.com>

          • buthaina_3
            Message 5 of 30 , Sep 9, 2009
              Hi Mike,

              I clicked on the URL http://www.real-english.com and it took me to this: http://www.real-english.com/default_-.asp where it said The Page Cannot be Found..

              Hope this helps...

              Buth
              -------

              In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "mmmarzio" <marzio-school@...> wrote:

              > Hi Webheads,
              >
              > I have a problem with my site and am obliged to get 3rd party feedback.
              >
              > One user in Italy reported getting a 404 (page not found) when going to my site. I get the 404 myself constantly, and I thought it was my computers' problem only, or rather a problem exclusively related to my IP address, but after getting the message from the teacher in Italy, I fear there is a server problem. I have already spoken to the people in charge of the server, and they say everything is normal. But it's not.
              >
              > I can access all pages on my site except the home page.
              >
              > If just 2 or 3 webheads could click on this URL, or paste it into their brower's address bar and tell me "OK" or "Not OK", I would be EXTREMELY grateful for the feedback.
              >
              > The url is
              > http://www.real-english.com/
              >
              > The problem is that on my computer, and on the computer of the teacher in Italy, this URL leads them to:
              >
              > http://www.real-english.com/xxxxxx.asp
              > which represents a file which I removed from the server 2 weeks ago.
              >
              > If you reply, and if you get the "page not found" message, could you kindly tell me what the xxxxxx actually is in your case (there are several variations in my own experience).
              >
              > Thanks in advance to anyone who has time to reply.
              >
              > Mike Marzio
              >
              > PS: I don't like posting this type of message, because it might look suspicious, like I was trying to get hits. The "older webheads" who know me will tell you this is definitely not the case.

            • Moira Hunter
              Message 6 of 30 , Sep 9, 2009
                It worked, no problem, showing http://www.real-english.com/

                Moira - France :-)

[...]

              • Sharon Scinicariello
                Message 7 of 30 , Sep 9, 2009
                  Mike,

                  I am redirected to http://www.real-english.com/default_-_.asp and get a
                  'page not found' error.
                  It does seem to be a problem with the home page only; from Google I can get
                  to your underlying pages with no problem.

                  Sharon Scinicariello
                  Richmond, VA, USA

                  Message 8 of 30 , Sep 9, 2009
                    Reading the other posts, I started worrying so I tried again and went to the site several times on two browsers.

                    It works perfectly for me on Firefox but on IE, I get 'page not found' plus a message to go to the following url:
                    http://www.real-english.com/default_-_.asp

                    Moira - France

                    From: mmmarzio <marzio-school@ wanadoo.fr>

                    To: evonline2002_ webheads@ yahoogroups. com

                    Message 9 of 30 , Sep 9, 2009
                      Hello Mike, all,
                      using Google Chrome, from VA, USA, I received this message today:
                      --
                      The page cannot be foundThe page you are looking for might have been
                      removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

                      Please try the following:

                      - If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is
                      spelled correctly.
                      - Open the www.real-english.com home page, and then look for links to the
                      information you want.
                      - Click the Back <javascript:history.back(1)> button to try another link.

                      HTTP 404 - File not found
                      Internet Information Services
                      ------------------------------

                      - More information:
                      Microsoft Support<http://www.microsoft.com/ContentRedirect.asp?prd=iis&sbp=&pver=5.0&pid=&ID=404&cat=web&os=&over=&hrd=&Opt1=&Opt2=&Opt3=>

                      --
                      and this was the /default_-.asp

                      --
                      When I tried (still in Google Chrome) to type in the address, I got the same
                      thing.

                      In Explorer, the same thing.

                      With or without the www. = the same thing.

                      I tried googling real english and then clicking on the link from there, and
                      same thing.

                      bummer!
                      Hope you can resolve it,
                      Holly

                      --
                      Holly (Dilatush)
                      Charlottesville, VA USA

                      "Shift happens." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpEnFwiqdx8

                      http://EnglishCafe.com ~ an engaging, enlightening, supportive, and fun
                      community!

                      "Live with intention. Share inside-out smiles, inspire hope, seek awe and
                      nurture in nature." (an original quote by holly)
                      http://www.diigo.com/user/blogblossoms/
                      http://blogblossoms.edublogs.org
                      Twitter ID = hollydilatush
                      Skype ID = smilin7

                    • marydimonaco
                      Message 10 of 30 , Sep 9, 2009
                        Hi Mike and All,

                        I also get the "page not found" notice clicking on either link in your post or pasting the url in my browser. I'm in Argentina and use Firefox.

                        Hope you can fix this problem.

                        Mary

                        --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Holly Dilatush <holly@...> wrote:

                        > Hello Mike, all,
                        > using Google Chrome, from VA, USA, I received this message today:
                        > --
                        > The page cannot be foundThe page you are looking for might have been
                        > removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.
                        > ------------------------------
                        >
                        > Please try the following:
                        >
                        > - If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is
                        > spelled correctly.
                        > - Open the www.real-english.com home page, and then look for links to the
                        > information you want.
                        > - Click the Back <javascript:history.back(1)> button to try another link.
                        >
                        > HTTP 404 - File not found
                        > Internet Information Services
                        > ------------------------------
                        >
                        > Technical Information (for support personnel)
                        >
                        > - More information:
                        > Microsoft Support<http://www.microsoft.com/ContentRedirect.asp?prd=iis&sbp=&pver=5.0&pid=&ID=404&cat=web&os=&over=&hrd=&Opt1=&Opt2=&Opt3=>
                        >
                        > --
                        > and this was the /default_-.asp
                        >
                        > --
                        > When I tried (still in Google Chrome) to type in the address, I got the same
                        > thing.
                        >
                        > In Explorer, the same thing.
                        >
                        > With or without the www. = the same thing.
                        >
                        > I tried googling real english and then clicking on the link from there, and
                        > same thing.
                        >
                        > bummer!
                        > Hope you can resolve it,
                        > Holly
                        >
                        > --
                        > Holly (Dilatush)
                        > Charlottesville, VA USA
                        > holly@...
                        >
                        > "Shift happens." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpEnFwiqdx8
                        >
                        > http://EnglishCafe.com ~ an engaging, enlightening, supportive, and fun
                        > community!
                        >
                        > "Live with intention. Share inside-out smiles, inspire hope, seek awe and
                        > nurture in nature." (an original quote by holly)
                        > http://www.diigo.com/user/blogblossoms/
                        > http://blogblossoms.edublogs.org
                        > Twitter ID = hollydilatush
                        > Skype ID = smilin7

                      • Susana Canelo
                        Message 11 of 30 , Sep 9, 2009
                          Mike: I copied and pasted the address into the browser. The problem seems to be a space before "english" word. I deleted it and it worked perfectly well.I posted it to Facebook , just to show it works.
                          Good job Mike , as usual. Thanks a lotA hugSusana

                          From: mmmarzio <marzio-school@ wanadoo.fr>

                          To: evonline2002_ webheads@ yahoogroups. com

                          Date: Wednesday, September 9, 2009, 3:46 PM

[...]

                          Yahoo! Cocina

                          http://ar.mujer.yahoo.com/cocina/

                        • nina.lyulkun@gmail.com
                          Message 12 of 30 , Sep 9, 2009
                            Home page doesn't work for me either.
                            Ukraine.

                            2009/9/9 Susana Canelo <susana_canelo@...>

                            > Mike: I copied and pasted the address into the browser. The problem seems
                            > to be a space before "english" word. I deleted it and it worked perfectly
                            > well.I posted it to Facebook , just to show it works.
                            > Good job Mike , as usual. Thanks a lotA hugSusana
                            >
                            > --- El mié 9-sep-09, Aiden Yeh <aidenyeh@... <aidenyeh%40yahoo.com>>
                            > escribió:
                            >
                            > De: Aiden Yeh <aidenyeh@... <aidenyeh%40yahoo.com>>
                            > Asunto: Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Call for a test
                            > Para: evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com<evonline2002_webheads%40yahoogroups.com>
                            > Fecha: miércoles, 9 de septiembre de 2009, 5:06 am
                            >
                            > Not ok Mike. This is what I got, http://www.real- english.com/ default_-
                            > .asp

                          • Helping North
                            Message 13 of 30 , Sep 9, 2009

                              Hi Mike,
                              I also got the "page not found" message here in Argentina.

                              Paula
                              www.teach-with-internet.nign.com

                              Message 14 of 30 , Sep 9, 2009
                                Hi Mike ,I got page cannot be found here in Morocco

                                this is the url i get on search bar :
                                http://www.real-english.com/default_-_.asp

                                <http://www.real-english.com/default_-_.asp>Mbarek

                                Message 15 of 30 , Sep 9, 2009
                                  Without a hyphen! I get this http://realenglish.com/ but I'm not sure it's
                                  the correct site?
                                  Is there a realenglish AND a real-english??

                                  The about page lists your name, Mike!

                                  So, for me, too, typing it without a hypen works!

                                  Holly

                                  On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 12:34 PM, Susana Canelo
                                  <susana_canelo@...>wrote:

                                  > Mike: I copied and pasted the address into the browser. The problem seems
                                  > to be a space before "english" word. I deleted it and it worked perfectly
                                  > well.I posted it to Facebook , just to show it works.
                                  > Good job Mike , as usual. Thanks a lotA hugSusana

                                  --
                                  Holly (Dilatush)
                                  Charlottesville, VA USA
                                  holly@...

                                  "Live with intention. Share inside-out smiles, inspire hope, seek awe and
                                  nurture in nature." (an original quote by holly)

                                • Peggy George
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Sep 9, 2009
                                    Hi Mike,
                                    I wasn't able to access your site either so I decided to explore
                                    further using the Internet Archives.
                                    http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.real-english.com

                                    I found lots of updates to the site but the last update was February
                                    8, 2008.
                                    This is the page what was updated on January 27, 2008.
                                    http://web.archive.org/web/20080127130407/http://www.real-english.com/

                                    It doesn't appear to have been updated since February 8, 2008. Did you
                                    move your site to a new location at that time?

                                    Is this the correct site? If so, the updates appearing in the archives
                                    may give you a clue about what may be wrong.
                                    Peggy
                                    -------------

                                    >> Hi Webheads,
                                    >>
                                    >> I have a problem with my site and am obliged to get 3rd party
                                    >> feedback.
                                    >>
                                    >> One user in Italy reported getting a 404 (page not found) when
                                    >> going to my
                                    >> site. I get the 404 myself constantly, and I thought it was my
                                    >> computers'
                                    >> problem only, or rather a problem exclusively related to my IP
                                    >> address, but
                                    >> after getting the message from the teacher in Italy, I fear there
                                    >> is a
                                    >> server problem. I have already spoken to the people in charge of
                                    >> the server,
                                    >> and they say everything is normal. But it's not.
                                    >>
                                    >> I can access all pages on my site except the home page.
                                    >>
                                    >> If just 2 or 3 webheads could click on this URL, or paste it into
                                    >> their
                                    >> brower's address bar and tell me "OK" or "Not OK", I would be
                                    >> EXTREMELY
                                    >> grateful for the feedback.
                                    >>
                                    >> The url is
                                    >> http://www.real- english.com/
                                    >>
                                    >> The problem is that on my computer, and on the computer of the
                                    >> teacher in
                                    >> Italy, this URL leads them to:
                                    >>
                                    >> http://www.real- english.com/ xxxxxx.asp
                                    >> which represents a file which I removed from the server 2 weeks ago.
                                    >>
                                    >> If you reply, and if you get the "page not found" message, could
                                    >> you kindly
                                    >> tell me what the xxxxxx actually is in your case (there are several
                                    >> variations in my own experience).
                                    >>
                                    >> Thanks in advance to anyone who has time to reply.
                                    >>
                                    >> Mike Marzio
                                    >>
                                    >> PS: I don't like posting this type of message, because it might look
                                    >> suspicious, like I was trying to get hits. The "older webheads" who
                                    >> know me
                                    >> will tell you this is definitely not the case.
                                    >>
                                    >> Yahoo! Cocina
                                    >>
                                    >> Encontra las mejores recetas con Yahoo! Cocina.
                                    >>
                                    >> http://ar.mujer.yahoo.com/cocina/

                                    > ------------------------------------
                                    >
                                    > When replying to postings, please delete this footer and extraneous
                                    > text from reply BUT retain info to help retain context :-) http://webheads.infoYahoo
                                    > ! Groups Links

                                  • Carla arena
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Sep 9, 2009
                                      Dear Mike,

                                      Here in Brazil I'm getting the error message. Don't get the message with
                                      xxxxxx, but simply the page is not available....

                                      Bisus,
                                      Carla
                                      http://collablogatorium.blogspot.com

                                      On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 4:46 AM, mmmarzio <marzio-school@...> wrote:

                                      > Hi Webheads,
                                      >
                                      > I have a problem with my site and am obliged to get 3rd party feedback.
                                      >
                                      > One user in Italy reported getting a 404 (page not found) when going to my
                                      > site. I get the 404 myself constantly, and I thought it was my computers'
                                      > problem only, or rather a problem exclusively related to my IP address, but
                                      > after getting the message from the teacher in Italy, I fear there is a
                                      > server problem. I have already spoken to the people in charge of the server,
                                      > and they say everything is normal. But it's not.
                                      >
                                      > I can access all pages on my site except the home page.
                                      >
                                      > If just 2 or 3 webheads could click on this URL, or paste it into their
                                      > brower's address bar and tell me "OK" or "Not OK", I would be EXTREMELY
                                      > grateful for the feedback.
                                      >
                                      > The url is
                                      > http://www.real-english.com/
                                      >
                                      > The problem is that on my computer, and on the computer of the teacher in
                                      > Italy, this URL leads them to:
                                      >
                                      > http://www.real-english.com/xxxxxx.asp
                                      > which represents a file which I removed from the server 2 weeks ago.
                                      >
                                      > If you reply, and if you get the "page not found" message, could you kindly
                                      > tell me what the xxxxxx actually is in your case (there are several
                                      > variations in my own experience).
                                      >
                                      > Thanks in advance to anyone who has time to reply.
                                      >
                                      > Mike Marzio
                                      >
                                      > PS: I don't like posting this type of message, because it might look
                                      > suspicious, like I was trying to get hits. The "older webheads" who know me
                                      > will tell you this is definitely not the case.

                                    • nina_liakos
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Sep 9, 2009
                                        Here in Maryland, using Firefox, I got a 404 and this URL: http://www.real-english.com/default_-.asp

                                        When I typed in real-english.com, I got the same thing.

                                        Nina
                                      • e17elisenda
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Sep 9, 2009
                                          Hi Mike!
                                          Working perfectly from Spain today, using IE.
                                          Good luck! Bye!!
                                        • mmmarzio
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Sep 10, 2009
                                            Thanks everybody,

                                            I never expected so many replies. This huge sample of your testing results shows that I am indeed in deep caca.

                                            Thanks so much to everybody,

                                            Mike

                                            --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "e17elisenda" <e17elisenda@...> wrote:

                                            > Hi Mike!
                                            > Working perfectly from Spain today, using IE.
                                            > Good luck! Bye!!

                                          • Nelba
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Sep 10, 2009
                                              Dear Mike.

                                              I was using your website last week, but now you ask I get this message when I click on the LINK:
                                              The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

                                              Hoping you can solve the problem since your website is really useful!
                                              Nelba Quintana
                                              http://englishvirtualcommunity.blogspot.com

                                              Yahoo! Cocina

                                              http://ar.mujer.yahoo.com/cocina/

                                            • pgreenleaf
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Sep 10, 2009
                                                No problem with the site here in Viseu, central Portugal
                                                Paddy

                                                Paddy Greenleaf - Senior Teacher for Companies - pgreenleaf@... - IH Viseu - Portugal
                                              • ehansonsmi
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Sep 10, 2009
                                                  I'm getting the same as Aiden and everyone--

                                                  Note: there is an underscore before the -.asp, in case it doesn't show up:

                                                  http://www.real-english.com/default_-.asp

                                                  Maybe Martin is seeing the homepage from his own cache?

                                                  If you re-upload the homepage, won't it work?

                                                  --Elizabeth

                                                • Marcela Amaral
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Sep 10, 2009
                                                    Hi Mike,

                                                    It opens fine from over here in Belém, Brazil.

                                                    Abraços,
                                                    Marcela.

                                                    Teacher Marcela Amaral