Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Call for a test

  • Maria Irene Albers
    Message 1 of 30 , Sep 9, 2009
      Hi Mike,
      The page cannot be found and the following URL http://www.real-english.com/default_-.asp, is what I got.

      María Irene Albers de Urriola
      Departamento de Idiomas Modernos
      Facultad de Ciencias de la Educación
      Universidad de Carabobo
      Valencia, Venezuela

      ________________________________
      From: mmmarzio <marzio-school@...>
      To: evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wednesday, September 9, 2009 3:46:53 AM
      Subject: [evonline2002_webheads] Call for a test

      Hi Webheads,

      I have a problem with my site and am obliged to get 3rd party feedback.

      One user in Italy reported getting a 404 (page not found) when going to my site. I get the 404 myself constantly, and I thought it was my computers' problem only, or rather a problem exclusively related to my IP address, but after getting the message from the teacher in Italy, I fear there is a server problem. I have already spoken to the people in charge of the server, and they say everything is normal. But it's not.

      I can access all pages on my site except the home page.

      If just 2 or 3 webheads could click on this URL, or paste it into their brower's address bar and tell me "OK" or "Not OK", I would be EXTREMELY grateful for the feedback.

      The url is
      http://www.real-english.com/

      The problem is that on my computer, and on the computer of the teacher in Italy, this URL leads them to:

      http://www.real-english.com/xxxxxx.asp
      which represents a file which I removed from the server 2 weeks ago.

      If you reply, and if you get the "page not found" message, could you kindly tell me what the xxxxxx actually is in your case (there are several variations in my own experience).

      Thanks in advance to anyone who has time to reply.

      Mike Marzio

      PS: I don't like posting this type of message, because it might look suspicious, like I was trying to get hits. The "older webheads" who know me will tell you this is definitely not the case.

    • McMorrow, Martin
      Message 2 of 30 , Sep 9, 2009
        Funny that I seem to be the only one the URL works for .. and I'm the furthest away (not that that really matters!) .. I did type the url directly into my browser, rather than pasting it, just in case that makes any difference ...

        Martin McMorrow
        International Student Podcast
        http://tinyurl.com/6xy9hy

        Message 3 of 30 , Sep 9, 2009
          tried removing it, but still no avail :-(

          aiden

          Message 4 of 30 , Sep 9, 2009
            did type the url too. nah--not working.

            aiden

            Funny that I seem to be the only one the URL works for .. and I'm the furthest away (not that that really matters!) .. I did type the url directly into my browser, rather than pasting it, just in case that makes any difference ...

            Martin McMorrow
            International Student Podcast
            http://tinyurl. com/6xy9hy

            Recent Activity

             2
            New MembersVisit Your Group

            Need traffic?
            Drive customers
            With search ads
            on Yahoo!

            Yahoo! Groups
            Mental Health Zone
            Mental Health
            Learn More

            Yahoo! Groups
            Mom Power
            Find wholesome recipes
            and more. Go Moms Go!
            ..

          • Hala Fawzi
            Message 5 of 30 , Sep 9, 2009
              Mike,

              On Opera brwoser, this is what I get:    opera:illegal-url-10
              On Firefox M it takes me here: http://www.real-english.com/default_-.asp

              When I paste the URL on Google, it works fine and gets me to the home page.

              Hala
              http://englishonlinects.blogspot.com/
              I can't open it here in Portugal, and it redirects to:
              http://www.real- english.com/ default_- _.asp

              I get a "The page cannot be found " message

              Fernanda

              --
              Fernanda Rodrigues <m.f.d.rodrigues@ gmail.com>

            • buthaina_3
              Message 6 of 30 , Sep 9, 2009
                Hi Mike,

                I clicked on the URL http://www.real-english.com and it took me to this: http://www.real-english.com/default_-.asp where it said The Page Cannot be Found..

                Hope this helps...

                Buth
                -------

                In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "mmmarzio" <marzio-school@...> wrote:

                > Hi Webheads,
                >
                > I have a problem with my site and am obliged to get 3rd party feedback.
                >
                > One user in Italy reported getting a 404 (page not found) when going to my site. I get the 404 myself constantly, and I thought it was my computers' problem only, or rather a problem exclusively related to my IP address, but after getting the message from the teacher in Italy, I fear there is a server problem. I have already spoken to the people in charge of the server, and they say everything is normal. But it's not.
                >
                > I can access all pages on my site except the home page.
                >
                > If just 2 or 3 webheads could click on this URL, or paste it into their brower's address bar and tell me "OK" or "Not OK", I would be EXTREMELY grateful for the feedback.
                >
                > The url is
                > http://www.real-english.com/
                >
                > The problem is that on my computer, and on the computer of the teacher in Italy, this URL leads them to:
                >
                > http://www.real-english.com/xxxxxx.asp
                > which represents a file which I removed from the server 2 weeks ago.
                >
                > If you reply, and if you get the "page not found" message, could you kindly tell me what the xxxxxx actually is in your case (there are several variations in my own experience).
                >
                > Thanks in advance to anyone who has time to reply.
                >
                > Mike Marzio
                >
                > PS: I don't like posting this type of message, because it might look suspicious, like I was trying to get hits. The "older webheads" who know me will tell you this is definitely not the case.

              • Moira Hunter
                Message 7 of 30 , Sep 9, 2009
                  It worked, no problem, showing http://www.real-english.com/

                  Moira - France :-)

[...]

                • Sharon Scinicariello
                  Message 8 of 30 , Sep 9, 2009
                    Mike,

                    I am redirected to http://www.real-english.com/default_-_.asp and get a
                    'page not found' error.
                    It does seem to be a problem with the home page only; from Google I can get
                    to your underlying pages with no problem.

                    Sharon Scinicariello
                    Richmond, VA, USA

                    Message 9 of 30 , Sep 9, 2009
                      Reading the other posts, I started worrying so I tried again and went to the site several times on two browsers.

                      It works perfectly for me on Firefox but on IE, I get 'page not found' plus a message to go to the following url:
                      http://www.real-english.com/default_-_.asp

                      Moira - France

                      From: mmmarzio <marzio-school@ wanadoo.fr>

                      To: evonline2002_ webheads@ yahoogroups. com

                      Message 10 of 30 , Sep 9, 2009
                        Hello Mike, all,
                        using Google Chrome, from VA, USA, I received this message today:
                        --
                        The page cannot be foundThe page you are looking for might have been
                        removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

                        Please try the following:

                        - If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is
                        spelled correctly.
                        - Open the www.real-english.com home page, and then look for links to the
                        information you want.
                        - Click the Back <javascript:history.back(1)> button to try another link.

                        HTTP 404 - File not found
                        Internet Information Services
                        ------------------------------

                        - More information:
                        Microsoft Support<http://www.microsoft.com/ContentRedirect.asp?prd=iis&sbp=&pver=5.0&pid=&ID=404&cat=web&os=&over=&hrd=&Opt1=&Opt2=&Opt3=>

                        --
                        and this was the /default_-.asp

                        --
                        When I tried (still in Google Chrome) to type in the address, I got the same
                        thing.

                        In Explorer, the same thing.

                        With or without the www. = the same thing.

                        I tried googling real english and then clicking on the link from there, and
                        same thing.

                        bummer!
                        Hope you can resolve it,
                        Holly

                        --
                        Holly (Dilatush)
                        Charlottesville, VA USA

                        "Shift happens." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpEnFwiqdx8

                        http://EnglishCafe.com ~ an engaging, enlightening, supportive, and fun
                        community!

                        "Live with intention. Share inside-out smiles, inspire hope, seek awe and
                        nurture in nature." (an original quote by holly)
                        http://www.diigo.com/user/blogblossoms/
                        http://blogblossoms.edublogs.org
                        Twitter ID = hollydilatush
                        Skype ID = smilin7

                      • marydimonaco
                        Message 11 of 30 , Sep 9, 2009
                          Hi Mike and All,

                          I also get the "page not found" notice clicking on either link in your post or pasting the url in my browser. I'm in Argentina and use Firefox.

                          Hope you can fix this problem.

                          Mary

                          --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Holly Dilatush <holly@...> wrote:

                          > Hello Mike, all,
                          > using Google Chrome, from VA, USA, I received this message today:
                          > --
                          > The page cannot be foundThe page you are looking for might have been
                          > removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.
                          > ------------------------------
                          >
                          > Please try the following:
                          >
                          > - If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is
                          > spelled correctly.
                          > - Open the www.real-english.com home page, and then look for links to the
                          > information you want.
                          > - Click the Back <javascript:history.back(1)> button to try another link.
                          >
                          > HTTP 404 - File not found
                          > Internet Information Services
                          > ------------------------------
                          >
                          > Technical Information (for support personnel)
                          >
                          > - More information:
                          > Microsoft Support<http://www.microsoft.com/ContentRedirect.asp?prd=iis&sbp=&pver=5.0&pid=&ID=404&cat=web&os=&over=&hrd=&Opt1=&Opt2=&Opt3=>
                          >
                          > --
                          > and this was the /default_-.asp
                          >
                          > --
                          > When I tried (still in Google Chrome) to type in the address, I got the same
                          > thing.
                          >
                          > In Explorer, the same thing.
                          >
                          > With or without the www. = the same thing.
                          >
                          > I tried googling real english and then clicking on the link from there, and
                          > same thing.
                          >
                          > bummer!
                          > Hope you can resolve it,
                          > Holly
                          >
                          > --
                          > Holly (Dilatush)
                          > Charlottesville, VA USA
                          > holly@...
                          >
                          > "Shift happens." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpEnFwiqdx8
                          >
                          > http://EnglishCafe.com ~ an engaging, enlightening, supportive, and fun
                          > community!
                          >
                          > "Live with intention. Share inside-out smiles, inspire hope, seek awe and
                          > nurture in nature." (an original quote by holly)
                          > http://www.diigo.com/user/blogblossoms/
                          > http://blogblossoms.edublogs.org
                          > Twitter ID = hollydilatush
                          > Skype ID = smilin7

                        • Susana Canelo
                          Message 12 of 30 , Sep 9, 2009
                            Mike: I copied and pasted the address into the browser. The problem seems to be a space before "english" word. I deleted it and it worked perfectly well.I posted it to Facebook , just to show it works.
                            Good job Mike , as usual. Thanks a lotA hugSusana

                            From: mmmarzio <marzio-school@ wanadoo.fr>

                            To: evonline2002_ webheads@ yahoogroups. com

                            Date: Wednesday, September 9, 2009, 3:46 PM

[...]

                            Yahoo! Cocina

                            http://ar.mujer.yahoo.com/cocina/

                          • nina.lyulkun@gmail.com
                            Message 13 of 30 , Sep 9, 2009
                              Home page doesn't work for me either.
                              Ukraine.

                              2009/9/9 Susana Canelo <susana_canelo@...>

                              > Mike: I copied and pasted the address into the browser. The problem seems
                              > to be a space before "english" word. I deleted it and it worked perfectly
                              > well.I posted it to Facebook , just to show it works.
                              > Good job Mike , as usual. Thanks a lotA hugSusana
                              >
                              > --- El mié 9-sep-09, Aiden Yeh <aidenyeh@... <aidenyeh%40yahoo.com>>
                              > escribió:
                              >
                              > De: Aiden Yeh <aidenyeh@... <aidenyeh%40yahoo.com>>
                              > Asunto: Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Call for a test
                              > Para: evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com<evonline2002_webheads%40yahoogroups.com>
                              > Fecha: miércoles, 9 de septiembre de 2009, 5:06 am
                              >
                              > Not ok Mike. This is what I got, http://www.real- english.com/ default_-
                              > .asp

                            • Helping North
                              Message 14 of 30 , Sep 9, 2009

                                Hi Mike,
                                I also got the "page not found" message here in Argentina.

                                Paula
                                www.teach-with-internet.nign.com

                                Message 15 of 30 , Sep 9, 2009
                                  Hi Mike ,I got page cannot be found here in Morocco

                                  this is the url i get on search bar :
                                  http://www.real-english.com/default_-_.asp

                                  <http://www.real-english.com/default_-_.asp>Mbarek

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Sep 9, 2009
                                    Without a hyphen! I get this http://realenglish.com/ but I'm not sure it's
                                    the correct site?
                                    Is there a realenglish AND a real-english??

                                    The about page lists your name, Mike!

                                    So, for me, too, typing it without a hypen works!

                                    Holly

                                    On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 12:34 PM, Susana Canelo
                                    <susana_canelo@...>wrote:

                                    > Mike: I copied and pasted the address into the browser. The problem seems
                                    > to be a space before "english" word. I deleted it and it worked perfectly
                                    > well.I posted it to Facebook , just to show it works.
                                    > Good job Mike , as usual. Thanks a lotA hugSusana

                                    --
                                    Holly (Dilatush)
                                    Charlottesville, VA USA
                                    holly@...

                                    "Live with intention. Share inside-out smiles, inspire hope, seek awe and
                                    nurture in nature." (an original quote by holly)

                                  • Peggy George
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Sep 9, 2009
                                      Hi Mike,
                                      I wasn't able to access your site either so I decided to explore
                                      further using the Internet Archives.
                                      http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.real-english.com

                                      I found lots of updates to the site but the last update was February
                                      8, 2008.
                                      This is the page what was updated on January 27, 2008.
                                      http://web.archive.org/web/20080127130407/http://www.real-english.com/

                                      It doesn't appear to have been updated since February 8, 2008. Did you
                                      move your site to a new location at that time?

                                      Is this the correct site? If so, the updates appearing in the archives
                                      may give you a clue about what may be wrong.
                                      Peggy
                                      -------------

                                      >> Hi Webheads,
                                      >>
                                      >> I have a problem with my site and am obliged to get 3rd party
                                      >> feedback.
                                      >>
                                      >> One user in Italy reported getting a 404 (page not found) when
                                      >> going to my
                                      >> site. I get the 404 myself constantly, and I thought it was my
                                      >> computers'
                                      >> problem only, or rather a problem exclusively related to my IP
                                      >> address, but
                                      >> after getting the message from the teacher in Italy, I fear there
                                      >> is a
                                      >> server problem. I have already spoken to the people in charge of
                                      >> the server,
                                      >> and they say everything is normal. But it's not.
                                      >>
                                      >> I can access all pages on my site except the home page.
                                      >>
                                      >> If just 2 or 3 webheads could click on this URL, or paste it into
                                      >> their
                                      >> brower's address bar and tell me "OK" or "Not OK", I would be
                                      >> EXTREMELY
                                      >> grateful for the feedback.
                                      >>
                                      >> The url is
                                      >> http://www.real- english.com/
                                      >>
                                      >> The problem is that on my computer, and on the computer of the
                                      >> teacher in
                                      >> Italy, this URL leads them to:
                                      >>
                                      >> http://www.real- english.com/ xxxxxx.asp
                                      >> which represents a file which I removed from the server 2 weeks ago.
                                      >>
                                      >> If you reply, and if you get the "page not found" message, could
                                      >> you kindly
                                      >> tell me what the xxxxxx actually is in your case (there are several
                                      >> variations in my own experience).
                                      >>
                                      >> Thanks in advance to anyone who has time to reply.
                                      >>
                                      >> Mike Marzio
                                      >>
                                      >> PS: I don't like posting this type of message, because it might look
                                      >> suspicious, like I was trying to get hits. The "older webheads" who
                                      >> know me
                                      >> will tell you this is definitely not the case.
                                      >>
                                      >> Yahoo! Cocina
                                      >>
                                      >> Encontra las mejores recetas con Yahoo! Cocina.
                                      >>
                                      >> http://ar.mujer.yahoo.com/cocina/

                                      > ------------------------------------
                                      >
                                      > When replying to postings, please delete this footer and extraneous
                                      > text from reply BUT retain info to help retain context :-) http://webheads.infoYahoo
                                      > ! Groups Links

                                    • Carla arena
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Sep 9, 2009
                                        Dear Mike,

                                        Here in Brazil I'm getting the error message. Don't get the message with
                                        xxxxxx, but simply the page is not available....

                                        Bisus,
                                        Carla
                                        http://collablogatorium.blogspot.com

                                        On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 4:46 AM, mmmarzio <marzio-school@...> wrote:

                                        > Hi Webheads,
                                        >
                                        > I have a problem with my site and am obliged to get 3rd party feedback.
                                        >
                                        > One user in Italy reported getting a 404 (page not found) when going to my
                                        > site. I get the 404 myself constantly, and I thought it was my computers'
                                        > problem only, or rather a problem exclusively related to my IP address, but
                                        > after getting the message from the teacher in Italy, I fear there is a
                                        > server problem. I have already spoken to the people in charge of the server,
                                        > and they say everything is normal. But it's not.
                                        >
                                        > I can access all pages on my site except the home page.
                                        >
                                        > If just 2 or 3 webheads could click on this URL, or paste it into their
                                        > brower's address bar and tell me "OK" or "Not OK", I would be EXTREMELY
                                        > grateful for the feedback.
                                        >
                                        > The url is
                                        > http://www.real-english.com/
                                        >
                                        > The problem is that on my computer, and on the computer of the teacher in
                                        > Italy, this URL leads them to:
                                        >
                                        > http://www.real-english.com/xxxxxx.asp
                                        > which represents a file which I removed from the server 2 weeks ago.
                                        >
                                        > If you reply, and if you get the "page not found" message, could you kindly
                                        > tell me what the xxxxxx actually is in your case (there are several
                                        > variations in my own experience).
                                        >
                                        > Thanks in advance to anyone who has time to reply.
                                        >
                                        > Mike Marzio
                                        >
                                        > PS: I don't like posting this type of message, because it might look
                                        > suspicious, like I was trying to get hits. The "older webheads" who know me
                                        > will tell you this is definitely not the case.

                                      • nina_liakos
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Sep 9, 2009
                                          Here in Maryland, using Firefox, I got a 404 and this URL: http://www.real-english.com/default_-.asp

                                          When I typed in real-english.com, I got the same thing.

                                          Nina
                                        • e17elisenda
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Sep 9, 2009
                                            Hi Mike!
                                            Working perfectly from Spain today, using IE.
                                            Good luck! Bye!!
                                          • mmmarzio
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Sep 10, 2009
                                              Thanks everybody,

                                              I never expected so many replies. This huge sample of your testing results shows that I am indeed in deep caca.

                                              Thanks so much to everybody,

                                              Mike

                                              --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "e17elisenda" <e17elisenda@...> wrote:

                                              > Hi Mike!
                                              > Working perfectly from Spain today, using IE.
                                              > Good luck! Bye!!

                                            • Nelba
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Sep 10, 2009
                                                Dear Mike.

                                                I was using your website last week, but now you ask I get this message when I click on the LINK:
                                                The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

                                                Hoping you can solve the problem since your website is really useful!
                                                Nelba Quintana
                                                http://englishvirtualcommunity.blogspot.com

                                                Yahoo! Cocina

                                                http://ar.mujer.yahoo.com/cocina/

                                              • pgreenleaf
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Sep 10, 2009
                                                  No problem with the site here in Viseu, central Portugal
                                                  Paddy

                                                  Paddy Greenleaf - Senior Teacher for Companies - pgreenleaf@... - IH Viseu - Portugal
                                                • ehansonsmi
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Sep 10, 2009
                                                    I'm getting the same as Aiden and everyone--

                                                    Note: there is an underscore before the -.asp, in case it doesn't show up:

                                                    http://www.real-english.com/default_-.asp

                                                    Maybe Martin is seeing the homepage from his own cache?

                                                    If you re-upload the homepage, won't it work?

                                                    --Elizabeth

                                                  • Marcela Amaral
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Sep 10, 2009
                                                      Hi Mike,

                                                      It opens fine from over here in Belém, Brazil.

                                                      Abraços,
                                                      Marcela.

                                                      Teacher Marcela Amaral