Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Php script for slick photo pages

  • Michael Coghlan
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 10, 2003
      At 03:46 PM 10/01/2003 -0800, you wrote:
      >Hi Arlyn (and everyone else)!
      >
      >I'm new to Webheads and am finally delurking after a month or so on the
      >list. From what I've read on the list and on the associated web pages
      >(I've only just begun to explore these) the primary goal of the group is to
      >test out new technologies that might (now or eventually) be useful for
      >language teaching. Thanks partially to the impetus provided by this list,
      >I've managed to get Yahoo Messenger up and running for voice chat on my PC
      >and am now looking for a MAC to Windows voice chat-capable program for my
      >MAC (Messenger on the MAC strangely allows for webcams but not voice chat
      >and iChat doesn't permit either). I'm about half way through the Cziko and
      >Park review. Has anyone been using a freeware MAC to MAC/PC voice chat
      >program?

      iVisit (http://ivisit.com/) is the one you need, but our resident Mac
      expert, Susanne, will have more to say about this.

      >I also wanted to encourage Arlyn to tell us more about her experiences with
      >Photoframe which sounds very useful. I've checked out the site and truth
      >be told the installation sounds pretty daunting, specifically the need to
      >have PHP 4.x installed, and the use of ImageMagick 5.3 or GD
      >Library. Given that my university has not IT department and all
      >communications would have to be in Japanese (see below) this sounds highly
      >problematic. Are these really major obstacles or does this just sound
      >frightening.

      I found the info Arlyn shared with us about mastering this process VERY
      daunting Don and abandoned the idea so you're not alone!

      >BTW, it appears that you can do something very similar in
      >Photoshop, i.e. automatically create a webpage that displays photos.

      Photoshop does allow you to 'record' a series of steps that you use on an
      image so you can ask it to replicate that same process over and over, but
      don't ask me how to do it! It's one of those things I was intending to get
      back to. Any Photoshop experts out there? I bet if you went sniffing around
      the users help section at http://www.adobe.com/support/forums/main.html
      you'd find the answer or someone who could help you with the answer.

      And Adobe seem to have a new product called Photoshop Album for $50 which
      creates pages and albums of pix.

      Nice that you have 'delurked'. Good word that.

      - Michael C.
    • Vance Stevens <vstevens@emirates.net.ae>
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 10, 2003
        Hi everyone,

        I'm back on the Internet after a two day bus journey through Yunnan
        and having arrived in Sapa, north Vietnam, where there are ethnic
        people, very friendly, and Internet again.

        I've looked at the messages and it will be ME who is falling behind
        now and all the activities that this group gets involved in. I look
        forward to reading it all when I return to Abu Dhabi Jan 17.

        I've approved a number of subscriptions so I know we have many new
        members. Welcome to all. When I get back to Abu Dhabi and we get
        rolling on our Community of Practice sessions, we'll add the
        newcomers to the group web pages. If you want to send an
        introduction, I'll put parts of it on our community pages. If you
        want to contribute a picture, upload it to our photos area at the
        website. If you need to know how to do that, ask for help. People
        on the list will respond.

        I look forward to more intensive interaction a week from now and for
        the next 8 weeks.

        Till then

        Vance
      • Dafne <dygonza@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 11, 2003
          Hi Vance, I have been reading your descriptions and they are so vivid
          that it is like sightseeing. Do you ever get some rest?
          Keep having fun,
          Daf

          --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Vance Stevens
          <vstevens@e...>" <vstevens@e...> wrote:
          > Hi everyone,
          >
          > I'm back on the Internet after a two day bus journey through Yunnan
          > and having arrived in Sapa, north Vietnam, where there are ethnic
          > people, very friendly, and Internet again.
          >
          > I've looked at the messages and it will be ME who is falling behind
          > now and all the activities that this group gets involved in. I look
          > forward to reading it all when I return to Abu Dhabi Jan 17.
          >
          > I've approved a number of subscriptions so I know we have many new
          > members. Welcome to all. When I get back to Abu Dhabi and we get
          > rolling on our Community of Practice sessions, we'll add the
          > newcomers to the group web pages. If you want to send an
          > introduction, I'll put parts of it on our community pages. If you
          > want to contribute a picture, upload it to our photos area at the
          > website. If you need to know how to do that, ask for help. People
          > on the list will respond.
          >
          > I look forward to more intensive interaction a week from now and
          for
          > the next 8 weeks.
          >
          > Till then
          >
          > Vance
        • Don Carroll
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 11, 2003
            Dear WH's,

            I thought I'd share with you(all) a page that a friend created using just
            the built in functionality of PhotoShop7 (an expensive program I
            realize). This version of PhotoShop seems to be able to automatically
            create pages very similar to the ones Arlyn showed us -- all you have to do
            is point it to a directory/folder.

            http://homepage.mac.com/fundy/newyears2003/

            Of course, Dougimas' software is FREE and has the very nice feature of
            including a guest comment section.

            --Don

            PS. I'm also interested in trying out Dougimas' highly interesting Moodle
            courseware but again the installation looks a little daunting for someone
            with no net administration experience. Has anyone tried this out?