[evonline2002_ webheads] Re: Workshop for EFL Teachers at University of Khartoum

  • Gary Harwell
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 5, 2009
      Hala,
      If you do show or have concerns about what's happening in the south, then you have my love and admiration. So many times teachers work in a country with horrid records on Human Rights and other things and simply turn their heads to the atrocities. At some point We English Teachers have to say, "No, we won't go." But until then, we can only enlighten our students with our discussion lesson plans which highlight or draw attention to these atrocities. This would entail Critical Thinking Skills and Critical Writing skills. You can't pound it into them on a daily basis though but you can plant the seed which will allow them to wonder(In English).

      As a group, we can make a difference in the future of the world. The University where I teach in Oman, my students are mostly females and they are eager to learn and hungry for ideas beyond Headway and learning to go to the corner shop. They are very lucky to have a great and benevolent leader who spends Zillions of dollars for Education in the country and the ministry of Education has made Critical Thinking classes mandatory.

      English teachers of the world, We can make a difference with our teachings. It is the responsibility of every person in the world to try to make a difference wherever they are. If you are in one country with a bad record, draw attention to atrocities in another country and allow the students to make the crossover on their own. It improves their thinking skills in English.

      What can you consciously do to make the world a better place.

      Gary Harwell
      http://teachergary. wikispaces. com/