Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Re: Workshop for EFL Teachers at University of Khartoum

  • Hala Fawzi
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 3, 2009
      I believe we don’t discuss politics and religion here, especially when it comes to the power of governments over people.
      Btw, one of the participants in the workshop about Web 2.0 for TPD, who happened to be an English language teacher in University of Khartoum, is doing his PhD on the impact of learning English on sustaining peace and promoting development in war areas in Sudan.
      Because you seem interested, and I don’t want to copy-paste a long blog post on this list, you may kindly view what an English language teacher in Sudan does, a part from conducting workshops for using technology for TPD:
      http://englishonlinects.blogspot.com/search/label/Darfur
      As Sudanese citizens, we don’t include a session in a workshop about Darfur or Southern Sudan, simply, because we live with the issue; discuss our hopes and concerns for our country’s future 24/7. If you mean as English language teachers, we believe our role is to teach a language to practitioners and decision makers to  improve the skills necessary to manage conflict in all its phases,  with one objective in mind: to help in promoting peace and development.
      Btw, during a famine or extermination of a group, we, Sudanese, don’t speak English. We are more concerned about searching for funds, looking for ways to resolve the conflict and distributing food. Those who speak English with the IOs, NGO’s and organizations who distribute food are already excellent in English.
      Who says the international community “didn’t give a squat “? Check reports of the UNAMID, African Union, International Criminal Court, etc.
      Thank you for your concern about Darfur.
      Nice wiki you have, teacher Gary.  The correct URL is: http://teachergary.wikispaces.com/
      Hala Fawzi (a Sudanese Webhead)

      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 3, 2009
        I very much concur with Hala's finely-worded response to Gary's posting. And I do hope that this forum doesn't become a focus of political debate and, even worse, of finger-pointing. The internet is not short of resources for either.

        My view is that all of us, all the time, are teaching English during times of famine, war, extermination and all kinds of maladies going on - just for most of us here, those problems are relatively far away from our doorsteps. I, for example, live in a quiet, leafy suburb in Auckland where the news stories tend to revolve around cats caught up trees and diamond anniversaries. You could argue that it is people like me, rather than colleagues working in much more challenging environments, who have an obligation to devote greater efforts towards addressing the many problems suffered by people who are much less fortunate than me. I have total freedom to say what I want, when and where I want. I have economic means to do so; I have the technical resources and time to do so. In actual fact, I do next to nothing to right the wrongs of which I am fully aware. I hardly even contribute anything to this forum, of which I am a grateful, but almost entirely passive member. A taker, not a giver, you see. So, anyway, if anyone feels they want to point the finger at someone for not pulling their weight in the social justice area, well, look no further. Seriously, I'm the guilty one.

        You know, it's not as if I even lack opportunities to highlight all manner of issues. Most of the students I assist in my job here are Chinese, for instance. I can't remember even once, during a learning consultation, saying "Oh by the way, what do you think of the Dall-eye Lamarr?' (deliberate misspelling, of course). I've even been involved in organising a conference of learning advisors here in New Zealand later this year. I have to admit there's not a single presentation on greenhouse gases, for instance, in which NZ is a major offender. Are we all totally oblivious to global warming? It gets worse - my colleague from Fiji seems to have neglected to mention the military dictatorship in her homeland anywhere in her abstract - on a project for writing development, as it happens. And our Australian visitors, one and all, have gone for topics such as 'Online plagiarism software' and 'Activities for database familiarisation' rather than their country's involvement in the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan or, indeed, about the ongoing hardships experienced by indigenous people over there. And, once again, I have to put my hand up. I was the one who approved all of these papers, not raising a single objection over the absence of reference to starvation, disease, injustice and conflict.

        So, are we all - and especially me - just hard-hearted fools - or worse - content to dwell in a trivialised, amoral cocoon of our own making? Or is it just that there's a time and a place for everything?

        The latter, I hope!

        Martin McMorrow
        Massey University, Albany, NZ
        International Student Podcast http://tinyurl.com/6xy9hy

      • Hala Fawzi
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 3, 2009
          Martin,
          I truly enjoyed reading your post!
          I believe this what makes the webheads list fascinating. One day you are stretching your hand for help, the next day you are lending a helping hand, most of the days you're only a lurker.
          No one will ever point a finger to you, or any lurker around.
          Hala

          ---

        • nina_liakos
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 7, 2009
            I read both Hala's and Martin's thoughtful responses. I am currently reading "What Is the What?", the story of Valentino Achak Deng, one of the "lost boys of Sudan", so I am thinking more than usual about this tragic situation. I agree with Martin that I could and should do more than I do to make the world a better place. And I do support the general policy on this board not to talk politics. Thanks to all for writing.

            Nina
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 7, 2009
              Cat herder is catching up on these emails and is generally pleased with the
              way webheads are intelligently and amicably resolving this issue.

              licking paws,