Re: The decline of face-to-face teaching

  • mmmarzio
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2009
      Hi Dave, Hi Everybody,

      I comment even before reading the New York Times article simply because the title seems so logical. We adults - and kids of all ages - most always use the computer as self-starters, with natural motivation, as opposed to the hierarchical nature of 99.9% of the world's classrooms. When there is no "above," "below," or "at the same level as", and one follows his interests spontaneously, we learn, and we learn well given all the resources on the web.

      This reminds me of another NYT article explaining that more and more English Lit teachers in high schools and colleges are letting the students decide themselves concerning which books they want to read and write about.

      mike m.

      --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Dave Kees <davekees1@...> wrote:

      > We're reaching the tipping point. Online is starting to trump
      > face-to-face teaching.
      >
      > "A recent 93-page report on online education, conducted by SRI
      > International for the Department of Education, has a starchy academic
      > title, but a most intriguing conclusion: 'On average, students in
      > online learning conditions performed better than those receiving
      > face-to-face instruction.'"
      >
      > More:
      > http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/08/19/study-finds-that-online-education-beats-the-classroom/?ref=education
      >
      > Dave Kees

    • ehansonsmi
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 8, 2009
        Great article, Dave--
        Thanks for the info!
        --Elizabeth

        --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Dave Kees <davekees1@...> wrote:

        > We're reaching the tipping point. Online is starting to trump
        > face-to-face teaching.
        >
        > "A recent 93-page report on online education, conducted by SRI
        > International for the Department of Education, has a starchy academic
        > title, but a most intriguing conclusion: 'On average, students in
        > online learning conditions performed better than those receiving
        > face-to-face instruction.'"
        >
        > More:
        > http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/08/19/study-finds-that-online-education-beats-the-classroom/?ref=education
        >
        > Dave Kees

      • Don Hinkelman
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 8, 2009
          Hi Dave,

          Very valuable article to study. But the reality in my experience is
          that face-to-face teaching is growing, especially when combined with
          online activities. Sometimes called 'blended learning'.

          I notice in my part of the world that some online distance courses
          have devolved into blended courses, incorporating face-to-face
          workshops in their schedules. Even this community is energized when
          meeting f2f at conferences and events. Too bad the report used an all-
          or-none separation of online vs. f2f.

          Also, we should be wary of comparative studies (X tool vs. Y tool; A
          media vs. B media). They state that they "examine effects only for
          objective measures of learning" excluding teacher and student
          perceptions. When you ask any of us what is an 'objective' measure of
          learning, I am sure we would raise questions and join in a big
          debate. :-)

          Still I can use this report to justify online activities to
          administrators who need official studies as support.

          Don