RE: [evonline2002_webheads] Recommendation for PhD Study in the States

  • Katalin Csoma
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 30, 2009
      Hi Kadir,

      Congratulations on your scholarship! Within the same area as yours, I studied at two institutions in the US.

      In the mid-90s, it was the University of Oregon in Eugene, OR, Centre for Advanced Technology (http://cate.uoregon.edu/), which did quite state-of-the-art research at the time, in my opinion. I lost touch with them now, and my supervisor David Moursund, who led the International Institute of Technology (http://www.iste.org/) there retired, but it might worth studying what they can offer. It is a campus with a low-stress environment.

      8 years ago I did PhD research for a year at the University of Washington in Seattle, and took various clases at the School of Education, (http://education.washington.edu/areas/), which was also very helpful for my project.

      Best of luck with the application procedure,

      Kati

      from Hungary

      Visit http://www.englishlearner.com

      1a.

      Re: Recommendation for PhD Study in the States
      Posted by: "vcautin" violeta.cautin@... violeta.cautin
      Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:33 am (PDT)

      Hi!
      My most sincere congratulations!
      Unfortunately, I cannot recommend any program since I haven't studied in the
      US, but it has always been my dream to study at University at Albany SUNY.
      They have a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Curriculum and Instruction with a
      specialization in Langages and Literacies.
      http://www.albany.edu/etap/graduate_programs/doctoral/doctoral_programs.htm
      Last year I applied for the Fulbright (Master) and in the process I
      contacted Dr.Carla
      Meskill<http://www.albany.edu/etap/faculty/Carla_Meskill.htm>.
      She is really nice. She is one of the editors of Language and
      Technology<http://llt.msu.edu/>
      .
      Well, the best of luck. I'm pretty sure any program we'll be happy to have
      you.
      Regards,

      Violeta.

      2009/8/28 Kadir Karakaya <kdrkrky@...>

      > Hi all,
      >
      > I have just gained a Fulbright Scholarship for PhD. The scholarship starts
      > from 2010-2011 fall semester.
      > I am currently doing my MA in ELT at Middle East Technical University (
      > http://www.metu.edu.tr), Ankara, TURKEY.
      > I have completed my courses and now working on writing my thesis. It is
      > about the exploration of the attitudes of teachers of English towards the
      > use of technology in language learning and teaching.
      > Now, I have to get a PhD acceptance from a university in the USA. For me,
      > getting an acceptance from a TESOL program is prefereble, and I am planning
      > to integrate technology and teacher education. I am also interested in
      > CALL,
      > ethnography of communication, and online communities of practice.
      >
      > So, would you please recommend me some universities or people to get in
      > touch and apply?
      >
      > Thank you in advance for your interest.
      >
      > Kadir Karakaya
      > Middle East Technical University