Noon GMT chat at Tapped In today Sunday Aug 16

    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 16, 2009
      Hi folks,

      I'm at my office, it's a quarter past noon GMT, and there's no one at Tapped In yet, so I'd like to head home. I should be back online at 13:00 GMT.

      I will twitter when I get there, and hope to see folks at TappedIn by then.

      best,
      Vance
    • jennyv@arnet.com.ar
      Message 2 of 23 , Aug 16, 2009
        Dear All,

        I am preparing a Presentation on Blogging and would
        like to add your ideas on: Why do you blog?

        The purpose is to
        show teachers the importance of blogging in our classroom and inspire them
        to create one.

        Thank you in advance.

        Warm
        regards
        Jennifer

      • Holly Dilatush
        Message 3 of 23 , Aug 16, 2009
          Jennifer,
          Your request for answers to "Why do I blog?" caught me at the right time.
          Actually, I think someone (maybe you?) tweeted this question (on Twitter)
          recently, and I have been mulling it for awhile. I seem to have multiple
          answers.

          I blog for different reasons on different blogs, at different times.

          My first blog (2004) was primarily to share my experiences teaching abroad
          and to be able to share that with a wider audience. Blogging is much easier
          now! Today I have multiple blogs, but only one that I am maintaining to any
          level of personal satisfaction (and that's not complete satisfaction by any
          means).

          Your question made me ponder why I am more active on one blog than another,
          and your essential question, why do I blog?

          I actually modified the question in my mind to, "Why do I wish I blogged
          more, or differently?"

          The blog I'm most active with is one that is linked to a very active
          learning community.

          The blog I wish I were more active with would be one focused on reflection
          of my facilitating, of my professional development journeys.
          Why? I value reflection. I greatly value reading the reflections of other
          educators, and of even more educators' responses to their blog posts. So
          often, I plan to thoughtfully write replies and new posts of my own. But
          time, time, time, time, time gets in my way.

          Blogs, listservs, and Twitter rank among my most meaningful professional
          development opportunities.
          It is easy to benefit from them. It takes more work to return the favor, to
          "pay it forward."
          In my personal worldview, giving toward a goal of making the world a better
          place is what it's all about.
          That's why I blog... for me, yes... but also toward a vision of a better
          world.

          Thanks for asking!
          Holly
          http://www.englishcafe.com/Smiling7
          http://blogblossoms.edublogs.org/
          Twitter ID = hollydilatush

          --
          Holly (Dilatush)
          Charlottesville, VA USA

          http://EnglishCafe.com ~ an engaging, enlightening, supportive, and fun
          community!

          "Live with intention. Share inside-out smiles, inspire hope, seek awe and
          nurture in nature." (an original quote by holly)
          http://www.diigo.com/user/blogblossoms/
          http://blogblossoms.edublogs.org
          Twitter ID = hollydilatush

        • Graham Stanley
          Message 4 of 23 , Aug 17, 2009
            Hi Jennifer,
            Funny you should mention this - I recently wrote a post about this very
            thing on my blog as part of the blog carnival that Karenne at Kalinago
            English organised.

            My post is here...

            http://blog-efl.blogspot.com/2009/07/to-blog-or-not-to-blog.html

            ...and the blog carnival summary is here:

            http://kalinago.blogspot.com/2009/08/blogging-english-language-teachers-tech.html

            You'll find more than 40 articles / posts about blogging - why blog, advice
            for bloggers, etc. You name it, you'll find it here - a very useful resource

            Hope this helps you,

            Graham
            http://blog-efl.blogspot.com

            On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 8:22 PM, <jennyv@...> wrote:

            > Dear All,
            >
            > I am preparing a Presentation on Blogging and would
            > like to add your ideas on: Why do you blog?
            >
            > The purpose is to
            > show teachers the importance of blogging in our classroom and inspire them
            > to create one.
            >
            > Thank you in advance.
            >
            > Warm
            > regards
            > Jennifer

          • Saša Sirk
            Message 5 of 23 , Aug 17, 2009
              Hi Jennifer,
              I'm really not much of a blogger - only post occasionally... but here goes my answer anyway:
              I blog in my personal blog when I feel that what I have to say could possibly be of interest to somebody else... or could save me repeating those words again and again to different people...
              Blogging leaves the door to all the posts open all the time, I like this a lot.
              I also like the simple way of finding things you blogged about via tags.
              I also have a class blog, where i occasionally post about things we do/talk about in class... - just to share and connect to the world outside.

              Warmly,
              Saša
            • jenverschoor
              Message 6 of 23 , May 5, 2010
                Dear Webheads,

                I am giving an online course this month to teachers from Argentina and Switzerland and would like to show them the benefits of blogging.

                Could you please write down very briefly why do you blog.

                I will publish a blog post this week with your answers.

                A big thank you
                Jennifer
              • Holly Dilatush
                Message 7 of 23 , May 5, 2010
                  Hello Jennifer,

                  It's fun to see this question re-surface. I just did a quick google search
                  "Why do you blog?" and found links to word clouds, too!

                  Fun topic.

                  Why do I blog?

                  I blog for several reasons, and in different locations (on different blogs
                  for different purposes).

                  These are not in any prioritized order:

                  *to encourage [blogs for students]

                  *to share interesting information, photos, links (what I perceive to be
                  interesting, what I hope will be interesting to others) [blog posts for
                  students, friends, colleagues, groups]

                  *to inspire [all types of blogs]

                  *to guide [incorporating lessons for English language learners, or for
                  professional development purposes]

                  *to journal [personal blog -- sometimes dreaming that I will become more
                  noticed, more read, more followed, other times just feeling the need to
                  share something with the world]

                  *to model [blogs are often where people jump in along the continuum of all
                  the possible things to do online; many professional development blog posts
                  that I write are written with the idea of modeling some of the possible ways
                  blogs can be used.]

                  *to earn a grade!, to be accountable [I have had assignments for coursework,
                  where creating blog posts was an expectation.

                  *as a travelogue [When I lived abroad, my blog was the easiest way I knew
                  to share lots of information, stories, photos and so on, to a broad
                  audience, with one stop.]

                  I love to write, and I think this fact helps keep me blogging! But, I also
                  love photos, and on my "to-do" list is to blog a photo a day, maybe using
                  fotobabble? <<http://fotobabble.com>>

                  Thanks again for asking,
                  Hope you'll share your results with us,
                  Holly
                  Charlottesville, VA, USA

                  On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 8:49 AM, jenverschoor <jenverschoor@...> wrote:

                  > Dear Webheads,
                  >
                  > I am giving an online course this month to teachers from Argentina and
                  > Switzerland and would like to show them the benefits of blogging.
                  >
                  > Could you please write down very briefly why do you blog.
                  >
                  > I will publish a blog post this week with your answers.
                  >
                  > A big thank you
                  > Jennifer

                • Jennifer Verschoor
                  Message 8 of 23 , May 5, 2010
                    Thank you very much Holly!! This is a great example why we should blog.

                    I will send my blog post soon
                    Warm regards
                    Jennifer

                    On 5 May 2010 11:09, Holly Dilatush <holly@...> wrote:

                    > Hello Jennifer,
                    >
                    > It's fun to see this question re-surface. I just did a quick google search
                    > "Why do you blog?" and found links to word clouds, too!
                    >
                    > Fun topic.
                    >
                    > Why do I blog?
                    >
                    > I blog for several reasons, and in different locations (on different blogs
                    > for different purposes).
                    >
                    > These are not in any prioritized order:
                    >
                    > *to encourage [blogs for students]
                    >
                    > *to share interesting information, photos, links (what I perceive to be
                    > interesting, what I hope will be interesting to others) [blog posts for
                    > students, friends, colleagues, groups]
                    >
                    > *to inspire [all types of blogs]
                    >
                    > *to guide [incorporating lessons for English language learners, or for
                    > professional development purposes]
                    >
                    > *to journal [personal blog -- sometimes dreaming that I will become more
                    > noticed, more read, more followed, other times just feeling the need to
                    > share something with the world]
                    >
                    > *to model [blogs are often where people jump in along the continuum of all
                    > the possible things to do online; many professional development blog posts
                    > that I write are written with the idea of modeling some of the possible
                    > ways
                    > blogs can be used.]
                    >
                    > *to earn a grade!, to be accountable [I have had assignments for
                    > coursework,
                    > where creating blog posts was an expectation.
                    >
                    > *as a travelogue [When I lived abroad, my blog was the easiest way I knew
                    > to share lots of information, stories, photos and so on, to a broad
                    > audience, with one stop.]
                    >
                    > I love to write, and I think this fact helps keep me blogging! But, I also
                    > love photos, and on my "to-do" list is to blog a photo a day, maybe using
                    > fotobabble? <<http://fotobabble.com>>
                    >
                    > Thanks again for asking,
                    > Hope you'll share your results with us,
                    > Holly
                    > Charlottesville, VA, USA
                    >

                    > On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 8:49 AM, jenverschoor <jenverschoor@...<jenverschoor%40gmail.com>>
                    > wrote:
                    >

                    > > Dear Webheads,
                    > >
                    > > I am giving an online course this month to teachers from Argentina and
                    > > Switzerland and would like to show them the benefits of blogging.
                    > >
                    > > Could you please write down very briefly why do you blog.
                    > >
                    > > I will publish a blog post this week with your answers.
                    > >
                    > > A big thank you
                    > > Jennifer

                    Jennifer Verschoor
                    www.jenverschoor.wordpress.com

                  • Michael Coghlan
                    Message 9 of 23 , May 5, 2010
                      Jen and all.

                      I've never been a prolific blogger (I prefer
                      podcasting) but when I do blog it's because:
                      * something significant has happened or I
                      have some new idea I want to share
                      * it forces me to clarify my thinking
                      * I sometimes blog about live events and I've
                      learnt that people who can't attend these events
                      really appreciative the fact that you take the time to share your 'notes'
                      Cheers,

                      - Michael

                      ----------

                    • tutormentor2@earthlink.net
                      Message 10 of 23 , May 5, 2010
                        I blog weekly, and encourage the people in my small non profit to also
                        blog. You can see our blogs at http://cabriniblog.blogspot.com

                        I do this as a way to reach people who need to be involved in the lives of
                        kids living in high poverty areas, and to motivate these people to spend
                        time learning from the information we provide in our blogs and on our web
                        sites, and using what they learn to spend time, talent and dollars in one
                        or more poverty neighborhoods of Chicago and other cities, helping one or
                        more non-school programs be the best in the world at helping kids.

                        If I were a newspaper writer, I'd be using my weekly column for the same
                        purpose, to educate and motivate readers to do work that needs to be done.
                        Since I don't know any writers who write this story regularly, and I don't
                        have millions of advertising dollars, my blog and other social media, are
                        the only ways we have to get this message to the public.

                        If any of you are leading non profits that work with disadvantaged kids, I
                        encourage you to write the same types of articles that I write, but to
                        point to me and each other, so that when one of us gets a reader, we're
                        passing that reader on to the rest of us.

                        This way people from around the world who care about the same issues can be
                        working together to increase the number of resources and political leaders
                        who are learning what we know, and supporting what we do.

                        Dan Bassill
                        President
                        Cabrini Connections
                        Tutor/Mentor Connection
                        800 W. Huron
                        Chicago, Il. 60642
                        http://tutormentor.blogspot.com
                        http://cabriniblog.blogspot.com
                        http://tutormentorconnection.ning.com/profiles/blog/list

                        Message 11 of 23 , May 5, 2010
                          Dan, good to hear from you.

                          I hope you're tagging your blog posts and capitalizing somehow on that tag.

                          If so tell us how. If not, can we help you do that?

                          Vance

                          p.s. I'm very tempted to say I blog "because it's there". In a way that
                          sounds a little flip but on the other hand there's a lot of truth to that
                          statement, because it's there. Think about it, it didn't used to be ... :-)

                          At 10:19 PM 5/05/2010, you wrote:

                          >Dear Webheads,
                          >
                          >I am giving an online course this month to
                          >teachers from Argentina and Switzerland and
                          >would like to show them the benefits of blogging.
                          >
                          >Could you please write down very briefly why do you blog.
                          >
                          >I will publish a blog post this week with your answers.
                          >
                          >A big thank you
                          >Jennifer

                        • Dan Bassill
                          Message 12 of 23 , May 5, 2010
                            Hi Vance,

                            Take a look at http://tutormentor.blogspot.com and tell me if what I'm doing
                            to lable and categorize my blog articles is what you mean by tagging.

                            At the same time, take a look at the last article I posted, with a list
                            pointing to different sections of information I'm collecting. I'm looking
                            for volunteers who will take ownership of different sections of the library,
                            and work to help other people understand and use this information, while
                            also working with me to keep the links updated, and to add new information
                            as it is found. This could be a project of students from schools all over
                            the world and it would get people from many places learning from the same
                            Hub of information.

                            Of course, in each section of this list we point to other organizations,
                            thus one link to a site like Web heads, would open up thousands of
                            additional links because of all of the information you share in your own
                            network.

                            Dan

                          • Aiden Yeh
                            Message 13 of 23 , May 5, 2010
                              Hi Jen,

                              I share the same reasons, but I think you could also include a section on why we stop blogging, find out the reasons for intermittent blogging. I used to blog--I still have my blog/s but I admit I now blog once in a while. Class blogs are different; I maintain them because they're needed for my classes. Personal blogs are more difficult for me to keep up with. With Facebook and Twitter, I get to do a shoutout in a nick of time. I don't need to compose a piece of writing.

                              Blogs for professional development is another matter. In my study (online TPD for Taiwanese EFL teachers in buxiban/supplementary schools), I found out that blogs are really useful for 1) reflection, 2) collaborative TPD activities, 3) receiving/giving feedback and comments, 4) enhances mentor/mentee relationships, 5) provides access to TPD for teachers who may not have the means to attend international workshops or those who may be intimidated with COPs being too large or too diverse. Blogs aid in the process of teacher development. The downfall however is that the moment the study wrapped up, these teachers also stopped blogging. I don't think this is a taiwanese thing. I believe it's more on human nature. Once we know that it worked, we move on to doing other things. Maintaining a blog requires persistence and devotion, not to mention motivation to do so. Once that level of motivation declines, once that we see there's not much need for it (blog), we
                              tend to decrease the amount of time we devote on blogging until we finally lay it to rest. We will only get back to doing it once there's a need for it. It's like the yoyo effect of motivation on blogging.

                              Well that's my two cents worth Jen. I hope it helps.

                              Aiden
                              Intermittent blogger

                              ________________________________

                              At 10:19 PM 5/05/2010, you wrote:

                              >Dear Webheads,
                              >
                              >I am giving an online course this month to
                              >teachers from Argentina and Switzerland and
                              >would like to show them the benefits of blogging.
                              >
                              >Could you please write down very briefly why do you blog.
                              >
                              >I will publish a blog post this week with your answers.
                              >
                              >A big thank you
                              >Jennifer

                            • Carla arena
                              Message 14 of 23 , May 5, 2010
                                Hey, Jen.

                                I blog to connect to my own thougths, to reflect

                                I blog to share what I find interesting, intriguing, exciting

                                I blog to connect to others

                                I blog for passion and the belief that it transforms us

                                I blog as my living memory, as my future archive, as an extension of my
                                memory

                                I blog to feel alive, to put into words, at least, part of what goes on my
                                mind

                                I blog for the sheer pleasure of writing.

                                Carla
                                http://collablogatorium.blogspot.com

                                On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 9:49 AM, jenverschoor <jenverschoor@...> wrote:

                                > Dear Webheads,
                                >
                                > I am giving an online course this month to teachers from Argentina and
                                > Switzerland and would like to show them the benefits of blogging.
                                >
                                > Could you please write down very briefly why do you blog.
                                >
                                > I will publish a blog post this week with your answers.
                                >
                                > A big thank you
                                > Jennifer

                              • Sasa
                                Message 15 of 23 , May 10, 2010
                                  Dear Jen,
                                  a bit late, but here comes my answer too.
                                  I don't blog much and faaar from regularly but enjoy it a lot - and also enjoy going back to what I've done.
                                  My blogs are my online spaces where I occasionally retreat to reflect, record, share, or simply keep things I care about. I've got a cyberkitchen (http://sasasirk.blogspot.com/), a cybermill (http://sasasirk.blogspot.com/), a cybergarden (http://sasasi.wordpress.com/) and a cyberattic (http://sasasirk.edublogs.org/). Even though the first two are a bit more alive than the others I don't think I'll ever pronounce dead any of them.
                                  I like the way conversation is kept open this way and people can get in touch with you. I am not a well organized person by nature so I also like a lot the way contents on blogs can be simply and meaningfully organized using tags. It comes handy when you need to show sbd. what you are working on, or what you've done/planned to do at some point, and to aggregate contents from various sources.
                                  I like the way you can feel the writers behind their blogs, easy follow numerous blogs using an aggregator of some sort, and learn so much and meet so many fascinating people that it's incredible.
                                  Hugs,
                                  Saša

                                  Message 16 of 23 , May 10, 2010
                                    Hi, Jen!

                                    I'll follow Sasa's example, though also late.

                                    I've never really blogged at the personal level, but have blogged for
                                    reflection about courses I took, because I think it's useful and important
                                    to write about our viewpoints, feelings, frustrations with certain tasks...

                                    The Learning Classroom, a workshop by Doris Molero (
                                    http://teresa-engvenblog.blogspot.com/ )

                                    MUVEnation08 course about teaching in virtual worlds, namely Second Life:
                                    Tasks and reflections ( http://mvn08.edublogs.org/ )

                                    I did quite a bit of bloging with students as a way of having them
                                    communicate with the outside world through posts and Web 2.0 communication
                                    tools that we used as add-ons, as well as the Comments feature. It was also
                                    a way I found for students to improve the four basic skills and learn
                                    different e-skills. Everything was done online by the students (one at a
                                    time at my laptop) during class in the curricular blog and they saw all
                                    their work published online before leaving the classroom.

                                    Have Fun with English! 2 (extracurricular) ( http://fwe2.us.splinder.com/ )
                                    CALL Lessons 2005-2007 (curricular) ( http://call05-06.us.splinder.com/ )

                                    Hope this helps. Enjoy the course!!!

                                    Hugs, Teresa

                                    Dear Jen,
                                    a bit late, but here comes my answer too.
                                    I don't blog much and faaar from regularly but enjoy it a lot - and also
                                    enjoy going back to what I've done.
                                    Hugs,
                                    Sasa

                                  • nina.lyulkun@gmail.com
                                    Message 17 of 23 , May 11, 2010
                                      Dear Jen,

                                      This is rather late respond to your query. Thank you very much for the great
                                      idea you've opened here to discuss.

                                      I've learnt so much from everyone in this thread like from any other one
                                      somebody would like to collect the information.

                                      I do too blog, though not that often. And mostly for motivating my
                                      colleagues and students to blog and participate in collaborative activities
                                      online. I am trying to collect interesting ideas in blogs, and recently, my
                                      initial idea is to run conferences on blog platforms. It works. More and
                                      more students and my colleagues from Ukraine are joining. This is just an
                                      idea.

                                      Beijos,
                                      Nina

                                      On 10 May 2010 12:22, Teresa Almeida d'Eca <tmvaz@...> wrote:
                                      --
                                      Nina Lyulkun (Ukraine)
                                      http://tesol-ua.blogspot.com/

                                    • Jennifer Verschoor
                                      Message 18 of 23 , May 15, 2010
                                        Dear Webheads,

                                        Thank you so much for all your wonderful answers. You can take a look at my
                                        blog post on Why do we blog?
                                        http://jenverschoor.wordpress.com/2010/05/07/why-do-we-blog-2/ Please take
                                        a look at the mixbook I created with all your answers.

                                        Warm regards
                                        Jennifer

                                      • Holly Dilatush
                                        Message 19 of 23 , May 15, 2010
                                          Nice work, Jennifer! I love the additions you're getting from others on
                                          your blog, and the MixBook is great, too!
                                          Holly

                                          On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 7:23 PM, Jennifer Verschoor
                                          <jenverschoor@...>wrote:

                                          > Dear Webheads,
                                          >
                                          > Thank you so much for all your wonderful answers. You can take a look at my
                                          > blog post on Why do we blog?
                                          > http://jenverschoor.wordpress.com/2010/05/07/why-do-we-blog-2/ Please take
                                          > a look at the mixbook I created with all your answers.
                                          >
                                          > Warm regards
                                          > Jennifer

                                        • Aiden Yeh
                                          Message 20 of 23 , May 15, 2010
                                            Way to go, Jennifer!

                                            Mixbook looks great-- and what a creative tool for writing!

                                            Aiden

                                            ________________________________

                                            Message 21 of 23 , May 15, 2010
                                              Wow !
                                              (I'm lost for words .... that's why I don't blog but do enjoy so much reading everyone :-)
                                              and so effective the mixbook - a source of inspiration ...
                                              ElizabethA

                                            • nina.lyulkun@gmail.com
                                              Message 22 of 23 , May 16, 2010
                                                MixBook looks great! Thanks for reminding about it, dear Jen.

                                                Wonderful tool! I embedded it to the conference
                                                space<http://grou.ps/asoc_ua/blogs/141094>to let my colleagues and
                                                students learn more about it and our webheads
                                                community.

                                                Thanks again. Great job!.

                                                Beijos,
                                                Nina

                                                --
                                                Nina Lyulkun (Ukraine)
                                                http://tesol-ua.blogspot.com/

                                                Message 23 of 23 , May 16, 2010
                                                  Dear Jen,

                                                  Mixbook looks wonderful! Congrats!!

                                                  I'd forgotten about it. It's now in my Favorites.

                                                  Hugs, Teresa