Negotiating teachers' conditions

  • Nelba
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31 11:29 AM
      Dear Dave.
      I have not read the book you suggested and I am afraid it is not available in Argentina :(  - I really would like to read it- but I completely agree with you.

      Perhaps our mistake is that we concentrate only on teaching and I think we also have to pay attention to other things such as our salary, duties and rewards.

      I would like to tell you my own experience: Three years ago I started suffering a hearing loss and I felt that my career had come to an end  because the schools where I worked did not have any alternative post for a teacher with my characteristics... I really did not know what to do , but I did not want to give up so easily, so I negotiated a new post (developing blogs for educational purposes) and the corresponding salary with the school authorities. Luckily I was successful.

      I hope these words will encourage Violeta and her coworkers.

      Warm regards to all.
      Nelba Quintana
      http://englishvirtualcommunity.blogspot.com

      I think this sort of issue is something that we need to learn to deal with
      especially in the changing technological environment for teachers.

      Is it corporate natural selection? Yes. I don't think schools would mind
      cutting our salaries in half if it didn't affect our production. That's just
      the way things are. They don't give us money because they love us.

      But as teachers, when we negotiate with schools, we don't have to think of
      it as a win-lose situation for anyone. For example, the school is insisting that they must lower the salaries. You can shrug and accept or you can negotiate. You can't touch the salary reduction, that is already written in stone. But there are other things you can negotiate.

      You could ask for training in developing online courses or for the school to sponsor your trip to a CALL conference once a year. You could ask for a discount if your daughter attends the school, free access to available school facilities like studios or equipment. I really can't suggest what you could add to the negotiating list because your situation is so entirely
      unique. But the idea is that it doesn't have to be just the money, money, money. There are many ways to make you happy.

      Sometimes their hands are tied and their bosses require them to cut salaries but there is usually other wiggle room where they can do something for you.

      That is one thing you learn in "Street Smart Negotiating" . Another thing is to stack your list with not only the things you really want but the things you don't really want. These extra things, during the negotiation, you can scratch off the list as concessions.

      It's sad that we as teachers have to bother ourselves with this sort of thing. But it's a fact of life, we are teachers but we also have small businesses. Even gaining something small is worth it. One thing said during just five minutes of a negotiation can result in an increase of $10 a week.

      Not much but at the end of the year you have gained $500. Couldn't you use n extra $500 for that new phone, computer, or something that you want? It's like making $500 for 5 minutes of work.

      I would say that Webheads are forward thinkers who have developed not only a special mindset but also skill set. But Webheads will not get what they deserve, only what they negotiate.

      Dave Kees