Help translation slang

  • Susanne Nyrop
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3, 2003
      Hi all,

      I need to find some substitute meaning for two sentences so I can translate
      them properly into Danish. (It is a keynote paper by Andy Hargeaves . I do
      understand what they're all about, but could anyone give me another way of
      getting around the slang terms?

      The sentences go as follows: '

      The knowledge economy drives people to put their self-interest before the
      social good, to indulge in consumption instead of involving themselves in
      community, to enjoy the buzz and pizzazz of temporary teamwork more than
      developing the long-term emotions of loyalty and perseverance that sustain
      the enduring commitments of grouplife.

      (I'm stuck at the "Buzz and Pizzaz")

      And:

      as Teaching in the Knowledge Society illustrates in a case description of a
      school deliberately established as a learning community. But professional
      learning communities are neither soppy nor sappy enclaves of easy agreement.
      They demand what I call a ³grown up² profession with grown-up professional
      norms of teaching where teachers are as much at ease with demanding adults
      as they are with problem children; where professional disagreement is
      embraced and enjoyed rather than avoided; where conflict is seen as a
      necessary part of professional learning, not a fatal act of betrayal.

      (Here, it is " neither soppy nor sappy enclaves" that causes a mental block)

      Please help me :-)

      Sus

    • Rita
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2003
        Sus dear,
        See if what has come to my mind is of any help.
        Love,
        Rita

        I need to find some substitute meaning for two sentences so I can translate
        them properly into Danish.

        ..." to enjoy the thrill/excitement/heat/flurry of temporary teamwork more than......"
        (I'm stuck at the "Buzz and Pizzaz")

        (Here, it is " neither soppy nor sappy enclaves" that causes a mental block)

        ...."professional learning communities are not places/spaces where people express their emotions and come to agreements too easily..."

        [

      • a.muhren@quicknet.nl
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 3, 2003
          Hi Sus,

          Let me try...

          >The sentences go as follows:
          >
          >The knowledge economy drives people to put their self-interest before the
          >social good, to indulge in consumption instead of involving themselves in
          >community, to enjoy the buzz and pizzazz of temporary teamwork more than
          >developing the long-term emotions of loyalty and perseverance that sustain
          >the enduring commitments of grouplife.
          >
          >(I'm stuck at the "Buzz and Pizzaz")

          The implied meaning is that temporary teamwork very often creates an
          initial feeling of excitement among the members of a team because of
          novelty, new faces, and so on. The idiom "buzz and pizzazz" seems to be a
          tautology, i.e. two words expressing the same meaning.

          buzz and pizzazz = excitement

          Unless your language has an equivalent tautology with exactly the same
          meaning, the word "excitement" (in your language) for the whole idiom might
          well take care of the problem.

          >And:
          >
          >as Teaching in the Knowledge Society illustrates in a case description of a
          >school deliberately established as a learning community. But professional
          >learning communities are neither soppy nor sappy enclaves of easy agreement.
          >They demand what I call a ³grown up² profession with grown-up professional
          >norms of teaching where teachers are as much at ease with demanding adults
          >as they are with problem children; where professional disagreement is
          >embraced and enjoyed rather than avoided; where conflict is seen as a
          >necessary part of professional learning, not a fatal act of betrayal.
          >
          >(Here, it is " neither soppy nor sappy enclaves" that causes a mental block)

          The writer seems to be fond of tautologies because this is another one. I
          see very little difference between "soppy" and "sappy" in this context.
          Both mean something like "driven by emotions or sentimentality rather than
          reason". The writer opposes this undesirable notion with the notion of a
          grown up profession ruled by reason, common sense and debate.

          I doubt whether these sorts of slang or idiom should be part of the
          discourse of education. But that is a different discussion.

          Hope this helps...

          Arnold
        • Susanne Nyrop
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 4, 2003
            Arnold and Rita,

            Thanks a lot for your instant help on these silly idioms. Now I can make a
            decent translation without any more hesitation. This made my day start in a
            very energetic way, pushing my work ahead.

            Sus