Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Looking for sites or information where to begin research!!

  • Barbara Dieu
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 6, 2009
      Hi Katia,
      You are welcome.
      You may also want to contact Leo van Lier
      http://language.miis.edu/faculty/faculty.html?id=115
      I found this book of his excellent :The Ecology and Semiotics of
      Language Learning: A Sociocultural Perspective (Educational
      Linguistics) (Paperback)
      http://bit.ly/sCGrx
      and referred to it in an article I wrote for the webheads conference in 2005.
      http://www.iatefl.org.pl/call/j_article25.htm

      Zoltan Dorneyi's book on research is very useful as well
      http://bit.ly/4Dous

      Warm regards from Brazil,
      Bee
      --
      Barbara Dieu
      http://barbaradieu.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 6, 2009
        Hi Katia
        As somebody who has been working with several projects in which we hope that the resultant course will be disseminated widely I have come to the conclusion that what we should be doing is developing a bank of pedagogical patterns rather than or in addition to a template course. Teachers will always want to fiddle and will always want to change any template you put before them so it may be a better investment to produce apposite pedagogical patterns for the situation you are targetting. I know that they have just recently been working with pedagogical patterns in the MUVEnation project at http://muvenation.org/ for example where I am a very peripheral observer. But I don't know how accessible their materials on this topic are to non-members.

        Hope this helps.
        Regards
        Anne
        Anne Fox

      • Katia Hameg
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 6, 2009
          Hi Ann, thanks for the muvenation link, but I am much more interested in the relationship between CALL and EFL setting and to what extent can CALL use develop L2 proficiency.

          The link is awsome!!!
           Katia

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 6, 2009
            Hi Ann, what do you mean by "produce apposite pedagogical patterns for the situation you are targetting ?"
            I wanted to research about CALL, understand the theory behind it in order to suggest a curriculum. Do you think that the idea of curriculum is not relevent here??

            Yours,

            Katia

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 7, 2009
              Hi Katia
              I'm a newbie as far as these pedagogical patterns go but as far as I understand, what it means is that you identify a commonly occurring problem/challenge/situation and collate proven good practices for dealing with it. That's why I think it might be a good idea if you want your final result to transfer to others.

              Thus patterns are grounded in what works rather than in what people think might work. The problem you work on could be a generic teaching problem such as how to start a lesson or how to deal with interruptions. But (and I'm guessing here) it could also be a specifric language teaching point. I had a good example in a teacher training course I tutored recently in which an experienced teacher noted that in her experience when teaching reported speech it was more effective to start with reported speech and get students to re-create the original utterance than to start with the quote and ask students to turn it into reported speech. This isn't a pattern until at least two other experienced teachers confirm it but I would think it is a good candidate for a pattern.

              So I'm wondering if it might be useful to collate patterns for CALL situations. Seth Dickens for example recently gave a very detailed set of guidelines based on his experience of how to organise a lesson or set of lessons based around Skype calls. I think that I may find that sort of information much more useful and transferable than if someone describes to me a lesson on comparing eating cultures in which students use Skype. If I have technical students then I won't want a lesson on comparing eating cultures but on the other hand knowing how to undertake a language-based Skype session effectively with my students might be useful when I have them call colleagues in affialiate companies abroad to compare packaging requirements say. I bet that the Webheads archives are full of insights which could form the basis for CALL patterns.

              A good guide to finding patterns is at http://www2.tisip.no/E-LEN/documents/ELEN-Deliverables/booklet-e-len_design_experience.pdf
              or try this http://www.tinyurl.dk/8725 if the long link is broken.

              The curriculum is a very important basis from which to start and is probably the reason why comparing eating cultures would not work with my technical students.

              There's more to patterns than this but hopefully I've said enough for you to know whether it could have any relevance to your aims. I just know that in the past 5 projects I've been involved with we have come up with a template course. And now as a 6th major project becomes more likely and where we have promised yet again to produce a template course, I am going to ask my project partners if we could not also produce some pedagogical patterns which will give teachers wanting to use the template an idea of the boundaries of what we are proposing, how elastic it is or at least what the template is based on.

              I think this might be over the top when preparing a course for individual use but if the course is intended to serve as a model for transfer then patterns may extend the usefulness of the work.

              I'd be very happy for others to correct me if I'm wrong since as I said at the beginning I'm new to this area.

              Regards
              Anne
              --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Katia Hameg <katiahameg@...> wrote:

              > Hi Ann, what do you mean by "produce apposite pedagogical patterns for the situation you are targetting ?"
              > I wanted to research about CALL, understand the theory behind it in order to suggest a curriculum. Do you think that the idea of curriculum is not relevent here??
              >
              > Yours,
              >
              > Katia
              >

              > ________________________________

            • Randi Harlev
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 8, 2009
                Dear Anne,

                Thanks so much for the link to the guide to finding patterns (<
                http://www2.tisip.no/E-LEN/documents/ELEN-Deliverables/booklet-e-len_design_experience.pdf>).
                I had read a number of references to pedagogical patterns, but your posting
                and the article explained it very well. It�s almost an extension of grounded
                theory, or application of it.

                In addition, the timing was excellent, as I�m beginning work on a concept
                document for a new e-learning ELT product, and this provides some
                theoretical underpinning for some of the decision-making.

                Greatly appreciated!
                Randi

              • vidazorko
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 8, 2009
                  Hi Anne,

                  I totally agree with Randi and find the E-LEN guide is very useful. Thanks!

                  Vida