Re: [evonline2002_webheads] asking for training material for teachers

  • vcautin
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 3, 2009
      Thanks Teresa and Bee for your help.
      Workshops will be of 12 hours. (3 sessions of 4 hours)
      It's for teachers working in public highschools. I'm not sure about their
      experience with online tools, so I'm planning to have a survey at first and
      then distribute tasks accordingly...
      What do you do when you have mixed-abilities groups? I guess it's the same
      as with EFL, I need to prepare extra tasks for more advanced "students"...
      right?
      The computer lab has internet connection, but the computers do not have
      headphones, mics or webcams.

      Greetings from Iquique.

      Violeta

      --
      Violeta Cautin
      Iquique, Chile

      http://fco08violeta.blogspot.com

      http://profesoresinnovadores.ning.com
      Facebook: Violeta Cautin Epifani

      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 4, 2009
        Hi, Violeta!

        I'd get them in pairs or groups of 3-4 and have more advanced activities.

        Why don't you have the participants bring their own headphones and mic? That
        way they can practice voice tools and recording.

        Good luck on the workshop and please send us feedback.

        Hugs, Teresa

        Thanks Teresa and Bee for your help.
        Workshops will be of 12 hours. (3 sessions of 4 hours)
        It's for teachers working in public highschools. I'm not sure about their
        experience with online tools, so I'm planning to have a survey at first and
        then distribute tasks accordingly...
        What do you do when you have mixed-abilities groups? I guess it's the same
        as with EFL, I need to prepare extra tasks for more advanced "students"...
        right?
        The computer lab has internet connection, but the computers do not have
        headphones, mics or webcams.

        Greetings from Iquique.

        Violeta
      • vidazorko
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 6, 2009
          Hi Violeta,

          I've had a few workshops for secondary school/university teachers of English and here are my suggestions:

          Number of participants: optimum number 12 or less, maximum 16.

          Content: our participants seemed to be interested in wikis, blogs, Google Reader, Hot Potatoes, Moodle, available online resources such as dictionaries, lessons, concordancers, videos... Many needed basic knowledge on how to use their browser, create a list of favourites...

          Teamwork: it's good if you are not alone. I've always prepared and carried out workshops with a team of teachers (one of them is Sasha, a dear colleague and an active Webhead). This has proved to be very inspiring and exciting. It helps a lot if there are more of you when the participants are trying out the tools because usually more of them need help at the same time. If you are alone, try to find a 2.0-savvy teacher to help you out.

          Workshop structure: it's good to divide your workshop into two parts: your input and their practice. In the input part you show them the tool and its pedagogical potential. In the pactice part, the participants do the tasks that you assign, ask questions, try out the tool etc. working at their own pace. You walk around and give support. Teresa suggested that participants work in groups of 3-4, which is also very good because better participants get opportunity to revise what they have learned by explaining it to others.

          Participants' experience with online tools: finding out in advance about their experience with online tools is recommended. The only problem may be participants' subjective perceptions. I remember one of our participants who considered herself to be a complete beginner although she had delivered classes in Moodle and used many web 2.0 programmes. I guess you'll most likely have participants with mixed abilities so I'd suggest that in the practice part of your workshop everyone works according to their interests and abilities. For example, in our workshops on wikis, the weaker participants practiced writing text and saving it, the skilled ones practised adding pictures and hyperlinks, and the advanced ones added video, tables, search facility... They all benefited and went home with ideas for their own wikis.

          Good luck with the workshops!
          Saludos de Eslovenia,
          Vida

          --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, vcautin <violeta.cautin@...> wrote:

          > Hello all,
          >
          > I'm happy to greet you after just lurking for several months.
          > Well, I'm here to ask you for help.
          >
          > I've been asked to teach some workshops on Web 2.0 for teachers here in my
          > city. I was wondering if any of you has already taught similar workshops
          > (though you're probably far beyond that now- 3D and more) and would be
          > willing to provide links to where I can find a "course syllabus" and/or
          > presentations that I can adapt for this purpose.
          >
          > I would also love to hear some suggestions of what to include and what not
          > to include, or any other experience that you have.
          > I'm pretty sure you have plenty of anecdotes and suggestions from the
          > workshops you have taught.
          >
          > I'm really excited because this is the first time they consider me for this
          > kind of training (Since I majored in English they always considered me for
          > English courses, and after years of teaching Basic English I was getting
          > really bored). Of course this is all for free, but I'm happy anyway.
          >
          > Thanks a lot!
          >
          > Violeta Cautín
          >

          > --
          > Violeta Cautin
          > Iquique, Chile
          >
          > http://profesoresinnovadores.ning.com
          > Facebook: Violeta Cautin Epifani

        • Saša Sirk
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 7, 2009
            Hey Vida,
            thanks a lot for sharing these tips here - you are always so organized and think of everything. I've been enjoying immensely and learning a lot from our team work.
            Hugs,
            Saša

            --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "vidazorko" <vida.zorko@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > >
            > > I've been asked to teach some workshops on Web 2.0 for teachers here in my
            > > city. I was wondering if any of you has already taught similar workshops
            > > (though you're probably far beyond that now- 3D and more) and would be
            > > willing to provide links to where I can find a "course syllabus" and/or
            > > presentations that I can adapt for this purpose.
            > >
            > > I would also love to hear some suggestions of what to include and what not
            > > to include, or any other experience that you have.
            > > I'm pretty sure you have plenty of anecdotes and suggestions from the
            > > workshops you have taught.
            > >
            > > I'm really excited because this is the first time they consider me for this
            > > kind of training (Since I majored in English they always considered me for
            > > English courses, and after years of teaching Basic English I was getting
            > > really bored). Of course this is all for free, but I'm happy anyway.

          • Maria Victoria Saumell
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 7, 2009
              Dear Violeta,

              I recently gave a presentation about web 2.0 tool for Langauge Learning in Santiago de Chile.

              I suggest you structure your session around big concepts like:
              Blogs and wikis
              Voice tools
              Working with images

              Show them examples of classroom use so that they can see the potential and teach them how to use them.

              You can access a review of my presentation at
              http://educationaltechnologyinelt.blogspot.com/2009/06/e-schooling-conference-in-santiago.html

              Hope it helps,

              Vicky Saumell
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 7, 2009
                Hi, Vicky and Violeta!

                Vicky, I wanted to leave a comment on your blog post below, but the comment
                page never opened. :-(

                I just wanted to say that I liked your presentation and would also like to
                share with you and Violeta a presentation I gave at the APPI Conference
                (Association of Portuguese Teachers of English) in May about Web 2.0 tools,
                with examples taken from teacher training and my students.
                http://appi2009.pbworks.com/

                Violeta, I hope it may give you further ideas.

                Hugs both, Teresa

                > Dear Violeta,
                >
                > I recently gave a presentation about web 2.0 tool for Langauge Learning in
                > Santiago de Chile.
                >
                > I suggest you structure your session around big concepts like:
                > Blogs and wikis
                > Voice tools
                > Working with images
                >
                > Show them examples of classroom use so that they can see the potential and
                > teach them how to use them.
                >
                > You can access a review of my presentation at
                > http://educationaltechnologyinelt.blogspot.com/2009/06/e-schooling-conference-in-santiago.html
                >
                > Hope it helps,
                >
                > Vicky Saumell
              • vidazorko
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 8, 2009
                  Hi Buthaina, Vicky and Teresa,

                  I liked your wikis and slides very much. Thanks for sharing!

                  Vida

                  --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Teresa Almeida d'Eca" <tmvaz@...> wrote:

                  > Hi, Vicky and Violeta!
                  >
                  > Vicky, I wanted to leave a comment on your blog post below, but the comment
                  > page never opened. :-(
                  >
                  > I just wanted to say that I liked your presentation and would also like to
                  > share with you and Violeta a presentation I gave at the APPI Conference
                  > (Association of Portuguese Teachers of English) in May about Web 2.0 tools,
                  > with examples taken from teacher training and my students.
                  > http://appi2009.pbworks.com/
                  >
                  > Violeta, I hope it may give you further ideas.
                  >
                  > Hugs both, Teresa
                  >

                  > > Dear Violeta,
                  > >
                  > > I recently gave a presentation about web 2.0 tool for Langauge Learning in
                  > > Santiago de Chile.
                  > >
                  > > I suggest you structure your session around big concepts like:
                  > > Blogs and wikis
                  > > Voice tools
                  > > Working with images
                  > >
                  > > Show them examples of classroom use so that they can see the potential and
                  > > teach them how to use them.
                  > >
                  > > You can access a review of my presentation at
                  > > http://educationaltechnologyinelt.blogspot.com/2009/06/e-schooling-conference-in-santiago.html
                  > >
                  > > Hope it helps,
                  > >
                  > > Vicky Saumell

                • vcautin
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 9, 2009
                    Hello Teresa, Vida, Buthaina, Vicky, Maria and Susana!

                    Thanks sooooo much for the links you're providing.
                    I've been so busy working on my regular job and putting together this
                    workshop, but with the help and ideas you have provided it's been much, much
                    easier.

                    Yor links have been of great help! The appi2009 wiki contains everything I
                    was asking for :) .

                    Well, I have decided on the following topics:
                    - Introduction to Web 2.0
                    - Introduction to blogging (If there are people using blogs, then they can
                    present theirs as examples)
                    I plan to present a few examples and then make them create one, post and
                    upload a picture.
                    If they already have one, they can create a post about the workshop.
                    - Introduction to wikis.
                    - Virtual Communities (Ning) and mail groups for connecting with other
                    teachers.
                    - Useful sites: Slide.com / slideshare / voicethread.

                    As Teresa suggested I will ask them to bring their own headphones, and I
                    will get some mics and speakers.

                    Thanks again for your help. I'll continue working on this and as soon as I
                    have the results, I'll present them here.
                    :)

                    Violeta

                    --
                    Violeta Cautin
                    Iquique, Chile

                    http://fco08violeta.blogspot.com

                    http://profesoresinnovadores.ning.com
                    Facebook: Violeta Cautin Epifani

                  • Nina Liakos
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 11, 2009
                      Violeta, I think your plan sounds great. Don't forget to inform participants about Webheads in Action and EVOnline/BaW, and tell them how they can continue learning!
                      Nina

                      --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, vcautin <violeta.cautin@...> wrote:

                      > Well, I have decided on the following topics:
                      > - Introduction to Web 2.0
                      > - Introduction to blogging (If there are people using blogs, then they can
                      > present theirs as examples)
                      > I plan to present a few examples and then make them create one, post and
                      > upload a picture.
                      > If they already have one, they can create a post about the workshop.
                      > - Introduction to wikis.
                      > - Virtual Communities (Ning) and mail groups for connecting with other
                      > teachers.
                      > - Useful sites: Slide.com / slideshare / voicethread.
                    • Natasha Jovanovich
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 11, 2009
                        Violeta

                        Sorry I havent followed the topic closely but you might like to try this one

                        <http://towerofenglish.com/movies.html>
                        http://towerofenglish.com/movies.html

                        Rgds
                        Natasha

                        _____

                        Violeta, I think your plan sounds great. Don't forget to inform participants
                        about Webheads in Action and EVOnline/BaW, and tell them how they can
                        continue learning!
                        Nina

                        --- In evonline2002_ <mailto:evonline2002_webheads%40yahoogroups.com>
                        webheads@yahoogroups.com, vcautin <violeta.cautin@...> wrote:

                        > Well, I have decided on the following topics:
                        > - Introduction to Web 2.0
                        > - Introduction to blogging (If there are people using blogs, then they can
                        > present theirs as examples)
                        > I plan to present a few examples and then make them create one, post and
                        > upload a picture.
                        > If they already have one, they can create a post about the workshop.
                        > - Introduction to wikis.
                        > - Virtual Communities (Ning) and mail groups for connecting with other
                        > teachers.
                        > - Useful sites: Slide.com / slideshare / voicethread.

                        believed to be clean.