Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Smart Board

  • Seth Dickens
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 3, 2009
      Hiya Nellie,

      Considering your students may not know the Roman alphabet all that well, I'd
      try a few handwriting exercises.

      You could use the page recorder feature in Smart Notebook 10 to play back
      their handwriting so that they (and the other students) can see if they
      formed the letters correctly. Maybe you or the class could dictate a simple
      story to a "secretary" who has to note it down on the IWB. Perhaps you could
      change secretary after each sentence or so (using a new colour so that it's
      easier to recognise who wrote what.) Afterwards you play back the story,
      watch it being re-written and comment together on good / bad sdpelling /
      grammar etc.

      My 2 Cs :) Interested to hear other ideas.

      Seth.

      2009/6/3 Nellie Deutsch <nelliemuller@...>

      > Hello,
      >
      > I just tried out the smart board at a local high school and loved it . I
      > am interested in using it to improve high school students' (EFL)
      > writing. I would appreciate any help from the group.
      >
      > Thank you.
      >
      > Nellie

      Seth Dickens

      Homepage:
      http://www.digitalang.com

      Thoughts and practical tips on ICT in language education:
      http://www.digitalang.com/blog

      Twitter:
      www.twitter.com/sethdickens

    • Nellie Deutsch
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 4, 2009
        Seth,

        That sounds like a great idea for weak students. I am interested in students whose content is great but keep making basic grammar, word usage, and spelling mistakes.

        Any suggestions?

        Thank you.
        Nellie
      • Johanna Stirling
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 4, 2009
          Hi Nellie,

          What kind of writing?

          Johanna

          --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Nellie Deutsch" <nelliemuller@...> wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > I just tried out the smart board at a local high school and loved it . I
          > am interested in using it to improve high school students' (EFL)
          > writing. I would appreciate any help from the group.
          >
          > Thank you.
          >
          > Nellie

        • Johanna Stirling
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 5, 2009
            Hi Nellie,

            This is one of my favourite writing activities and the IWB plays a part in it. But you also need a computer lab.

            In the lab students work in pairs - one computer per pair. Dictate the beginning of a story (one or two sentences) and one of them types (while the other helps with spelling etc). Then each pair has to continue the story for a sentence or two. After a few minutes each pair moves to the next computer. They read what has been written so far, make any corrections that are necessary and then continue the story that is on that computer (not the one in their head). You can feed in prompts if you like, such as something good/bad happens. Avoid correcting anything they write, but answer any questions asked. The activity goes on like this, with learners changing computers, reading, correcting and continuing the story several times - how long depends on how much time you have and the size of the class. Then I save the stories to a flash drive and also print out two copies of each. I give each pair one copy of one story (and keep the others for myself)which they take home and correct or improve as necessary (without changing the story). Sometimes I tell them to make a certain number of edits (either to limit them to the most important if there are still a lot of mistakes or to make them search hard to think about improvements).

            The next day plug the flash drive into the IWB and each pair presents their edits to the group, annotating over the original with the 'pen'. And of course you can mop up other important errors. You can save and print the IWB pages with annotations for students to take home and read. The errors 'belong' to everyone, as they all wrote and corrected parts of the stories. And they love reading the stories they wrote.

            I love this activity (which I'm sure I didn't invent but have tweaked over the years) because it works on written fluency, accuracy, editing, gets learners talking about language and they usually have great fun. Oh, and there's almost no preparation on my part!!

            Sorry this is so long.

            Johanna

            Johanna Stirling
            The English Language Garden