Organizational learning within a CoP - one more survey please :-)

  • susannenyrop
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 2, 2009
      hello all webheads,

      Akila Sarirete, an education technologist from Effat collage in Saudi Arabia is doing a presentation at CPsquare this coming Thursday, where she will present her ongoing Ph.D research study on the organizational learning within a CoP, and how to maximize knowledge within a CoP (community of practise). http://cpsquare.org/

      For comparison with CPSQ as a CoP, she would like to ask webheads to fill in a 12 questions long survey, where you are supposed to rank your priority (all 12 numbers should be used, or the survey will not work).

      Akila motivates her request as follows:

      "In the Community of Practice (CoP) life, each member has its own individual view of the CoP. When solving a task within the CoP, the member brings his knowledge and uses part of the CoP memory (the artifacts he already knows). In our research we consider a CoP as a learning organization. We believe that the context where the learning happens has a considerable impact on the learning of individual members who contribute to his community. We define a saga as the contextual element of any Organizational Learning model. This context enables sorting, and labeling of issues to accommodate the Organization. The contextual factor is critical to understanding, to interpretation and to utilization of learning.
      The survey we are conducting would help us show the importance of having a saga within a CoP and helping in promoting learning.
      We already did a field force analysis within an educational context and we gathered some categories and would like to see if they apply to a CoP context."

      http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=COeilNO4X5dgVSvb3f1VbQ_3d_3d

      I'm mentoring Akila for this Reseach and Dissertation fest session, so please help us both by filling in this survey ASAP,

      Thanks a lot, yours, Sus
    • Maria Irene Albers
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 3, 2009
        Dear Sus,
        I tried to fill the questions, but after filling the two first statements, and clicking on the third option, the second disapeared.

        Greetings,

        María Irene Albers de Urriola
        Departamento de Idiomas Modernos
        Facultad de Ciencias de la Educación
        Universidad de Carabobo

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 3, 2009
          Hi Sus
          Yes I had this problem too - I think it's because you have to rate each
          answer with a different number. Thinking about surveys in general, I was
          wondering how "revealing" this would be. There were a few answers I wanted
          to rate together as a high priority on the same level and others on a very
          low priority. I found myself just trying to get the answers "done" and I'm
          not sure it really reflected my true feelings.
          An interesting exercise in itself - got me thinking about types of surveys
          to do with my pupils.
          How do others feel ?

          Helen in Nice

          2009/6/3 Maria Irene Albers <miaupju@...>

          > Dear Sus,
          > I tried to fill the questions, but after filling the two first statements,
          > and clicking on the third option, the second disapeared.
          >
          > Greetings,
          >
          > María Irene Albers de Urriola
          > Departamento de Idiomas Modernos
          > Facultad de Ciencias de la Educación
          > Universidad de Carabobo
          >
          > ________________________________

        • Sus Nyrop
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 4, 2009
            Helen and Maria Irene,

            I agree that making good and relevant questions for surveys can pose many
            problems!

            The survey prepared by Akila was tricky not only for you (and me), that is
            why I mentioned that you had to use all 12 numbers in your ranking.

            Some others also pointed out that not all of these these questions would
            have relevance to each of us.
            Akila then decided to go back to an earlier version of the survey, where the
            task is now.

            Please list 5 priorities for your community (from your individual point of
            view) http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=MIBaTIZ1EZtmftx0hsM6ug_3d_3d

            Akila adds: - "... and then from the answers of the people, I will build
            categories and then ask them to rank order them (and change the way I
            presented the ranking in the survey monkey)."

            IF you can spend some spare time, couuld you please help Akila with this?

            Our teleconference session is at 20 GMT today Thursday. (You would need an
            invitation to join the call).
            http://cpsquare.org/

            yours, Sus

            2009/6/3 helen m davies <helendavies06@...>

            > Hi Sus
            > Yes I had this problem too - I think it's because you have to rate each
            > answer with a different number. Thinking about surveys in general, I was
            > wondering how "revealing" this would be. There were a few answers I wanted
            > to rate together as a high priority on the same level and others on a very
            > low priority. I found myself just trying to get the answers "done" and I'm
            > not sure it really reflected my true feelings.
            > An interesting exercise in itself - got me thinking about types of surveys
            > to do with my pupils.
            > How do others feel ?
            >
            > Helen in Nice
            >

            > 2009/6/3 Maria Irene Albers <miaupju@... <miaupju%40yahoo.com>>
            >
            > Dear Sus,
            > > I tried to fill the questions, but after filling the two first
            > statements,
            > > and clicking on the third option, the second disapeared.
            > >
            > > Greetings,
            > >
            > > María Irene Albers de Urriola
            > > Departamento de Idiomas Modernos
            > > Facultad de Ciencias de la Educación
            > > Universidad de Carabobo
            > >
            > .

          • Nina Liakos
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 4, 2009
              I felt the same way. The questions were mostly not very relevant to webheads and I wanted to rank most of them a 1, so basically the results will not reflect anything real.
              Nina

              --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, helen m davies <helendavies06@...> wrote:

              > Hi Sus
              > Yes I had this problem too - I think it's because you have to rate each
              > answer with a different number. Thinking about surveys in general, I was
              > wondering how "revealing" this would be. There were a few answers I wanted
              > to rate together as a high priority on the same level and others on a very
              > low priority. I found myself just trying to get the answers "done" and I'm
              > not sure it really reflected my true feelings.
              > An interesting exercise in itself - got me thinking about types of surveys
              > to do with my pupils.
              > How do others feel ?
              >
              > Helen in Nice
              >
              > 2009/6/3 Maria Irene Albers <miaupju@...>
              >

              > > http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=COeilNO4X5dgVSvb3f1VbQ_3d_3d
            • Elizabeth Hanson-Smith
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 5, 2009
                Hi Sus--
                Is there some way to see Akila's results? I'm working on an article and would like to refer to her work also.
                Cheers--
                --Elizabeth