Re: [evonline2002_webheads] check out web.icq.com

  • J. H. Steele
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2002
      Susanne,

      I was a dedicated ICQ user for a few years. It was the constant reception of
      invitations to view pornographic files that decided me to drop it after
      getting my computer back up and running this past week.

      John

      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2002
        The student webheads have been using ICQ for years. If you use it, set your
        security so that you have to authorize anyone before they can see you online.
        ICQ has numerous advantages to other systems. It date stamps your messages for
        example (so you can see the one waiting on your computer was sent a minute ago,
        or an hour ago) and it keeps complete histories of your conversations. A
        disadvantage is that all this is kept on your computer so moving ICQ from one
        computer to another takes some sophistication (and advice from people who've
        been there done that). I recommend it personally, but I'm not bothered by
        solicitations. I accept this as so much part of the background and am pretty
        fast with the delete and block buttons.

        Vance

        "J. H. Steele" wrote:

        > Susanne,
        >
        > I was a dedicated ICQ user for a few years. It was the constant reception of
        > invitations to view pornographic files that decided me to drop it after
        > getting my computer back up and running this past week.
        >
        > John

      • Michael Coghlan
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 2, 2002
          At 06:38 1/02/02 -0400, John wrote:
          >Susanne,
          >
          >I was a dedicated ICQ user for a few years. It was the constant reception of
          >invitations to view pornographic files that decided me to drop it after
          >getting my computer back up and running this past week.

          Same here John. I can't believe how frequently this once wonderful tool is
          now abused. I still use it sparingly, but often have it turned off now for
          this reason.

          It's sad but true.

          - Michael Coghlan.