Re: Our (Great) Student Video Project. Could be for #writingmatrix ?

  • Saša Sirk
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 27, 2009
      Great job, Seth. Liked the 'we love our teachers' part. Nice. :-)
      Saša

      --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Seth Dickens <sethdickens@...> wrote:

      > Dear All,
      >
      > I would like to share the fruits of a great project me and my 4th year
      > students have been working on. It's a video called A Vision of Students in
      > Italy a Today "Our Thoughts." It's a video my students have made about the
      > use of technology in class and whether they like it or not.
      >
      > The video was entirely produced by my students (with the exception of the
      > video editing. ) It is going to be posted to You Tube as a reply to Prof.
      > Mike Wesch's video "A Vision Of Students Today." (
      > http://tinyurl.com/bdbfx6) Prof. Wesch's video discusses the
      > old-fashioned methods many teachers
      > still use in class. If you haven't seen it yet, you really should. As fellow
      > Webheads you're bound to like it.
      >
      > Everything you see in this video was written, organised, filmed and
      > publicised (at our school) by the students of our class. This includes the
      > writing of questions, posting them to an online survey host and then turning
      > all the data into the script for the second part of our video. The whole
      > school was then invited to reply to our survey, which asked what our
      > schoolmates attitudes are to the Italian education system. Seeing as we're a
      > social sciences school this is a useful skill for my students to have.
      >
      > Seeing as the results of our survey showed that by far the most popular
      > means of communication for our students is SMS, we did an experiment and
      > organised the creation of our Flash Cards via SMS. This is why you'll see
      > some of the flash cards more than once!
      >
      > We're really proud of what we've produced here. We hope you enjoy it too!
      >
      > If you feel like leaving any comments, or indeed if anyone in our wonderful
      > little online collaboration project would like to get their students to
      > leave us a few comments (or better still further questions to my students
      > for them to answer) we'd be really pleased to hear from you. Please leave
      > the comments on the wiki page as there may be one or two minor changes to
      > the video yet.
      >
      > So, a few links:
      >
      > http://martini.wetpaint.com/page/The+Video+Reply - Our Wiki page where the
      > video is "showcased" Please leave any comments here. (
      > http://tinyurl.com/dkheya )
      >
      > http://martini.wetpaint.com/page/Being+an+Italian+Student - The wiki page
      > where we organised and planned the whole project. (
      > http://tinyurl.com/cx9qm6 )
      >
      > http://tinyurl.com/d6ysde - The direct link to our Youtube video if you'd
      > like to watch full screen
      >
      > Best wishes– or should that be HUGS!
      >
      > Seth.
      >
      > --
      > Seth Dickens
      >
      > Homepage:
      > http://www.digitalang.com
      >
      > Thoughts and practical tips on ICT in language education:
      > http://www.digitalang.com/blog

    • Seth Dickens
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 27, 2009
        Thanks Sa�a!

        You know, they really did write it all too though. Even the bit about liking
        their teachers! ( You'll notice in the video that the girl who had that sign
        was more than a little embarrassed though :D )

        Thank you for your comment too - a great open question that can keep them
        thinking! I wonder what they'll say?!

        All the best,

        Seth :)

        2009/4/27 Sa�a Sirk <sasa@...>

> [...]
        > > http://tinyurl.com/dkheya )
        > >
        > > http://martini.wetpaint.com/page/Being+an+Italian+Student - The wiki
        > page
        > > where we organised and planned the whole project. (
        > > http://tinyurl.com/cx9qm6 )
        > >
        > > http://tinyurl.com/d6ysde - The direct link to our Youtube video if
        > you'd
        > > like to watch full screen
        > >
        > > Best wishes� or should that be HUGS!
        > >
        > > Seth.
        > >
        > > --
        > > Seth Dickens
        > >
        > > Homepage:
        > > http://www.digitalang.com
        > >
        > > Thoughts and practical tips on ICT in language education:
        > > http://www.digitalang.com/blog

        Seth Dickens

        Homepage:
        http://www.digitalang.com

        Thoughts and practical tips on ICT in language education:

      • Ronaldo Lima, Jr.
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 28, 2009
          Hi Seth!

          I really liked the video. You and your students did a great job!

          I have just left a comment for them (with a question) and have also
          published the video in my class' blog (http://finally5b.blogspot.com) and
          will ask my students to leave comments and follow-up questions in the
          youtube comment area.

          Just one detail, in the title of the video there is a little typo, it's
          written "a vision *if* Italian..." instead of "a vision *of* Italian...".

          Kindest regards from Brazil!

          Ronaldo
          http://ihopeitworks.blogspot.com
          http://twitter.com/ronaldojunior

          On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 4:00 PM, Seth Dickens <sethdickens@...> wrote:

          > Thanks Sa�a!
          >
          > You know, they really did write it all too though. Even the bit about
          > liking
          > their teachers! ( You'll notice in the video that the girl who had that
          > sign
          > was more than a little embarrassed though :D )
          >
          > Thank you for your comment too - a great open question that can keep them
          > thinking! I wonder what they'll say?!
          >
          > All the best,
          >
          > Seth :)

        • Aiden Yeh
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 28, 2009
            Hi Seth,

            I'll pass this on to my students (Internet English class). This is a great way for them to see that what they're doing in our class is alo being done by other students (i.e. your students). There are two things that I like about this project. First, it's the detailed process that students go through to complete the task. the video is a product of their collaborative efforts. I also like the way the survey was carried out. Second, I admire your students for trying to speak the English language the best way they could. This is a good example for my freshman students to get rid of their inhibitions and try not to be conscious of their 'accents'-as long as what they're saying is intelligible enough.

            Here's a big thumbs up sign for you and your students.

            Aiden

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 29, 2009
              Dear Ronaldo and Aiden,

              I'm really pleased you enjoyed our student video and I'm sure that my
              studenmts will be really pleased to know that people in so many other
              countries are enjoying their work.

              If I may make one small request, it would be to ask you to direct your
              students to leave any comments they'd like to leave on the wiki page thread
              where we have posted the video:
              http://martini.wetpaint.com/page/The+Video+Reply or
              http://tinyurl.com/dkheya

              This is to try and keep all the comments together in one place (I know that
              it would be more natural to leave a comment directly on the video, but I
              don't want to ask my students ot sign up for yet another account if not
              strictly needed. I've allowed anonymous comments on our wiki threads at the
              moment, so all your students would need to do is to write their name and
              country as part of their message. No signing up needed!

              Thanks again for this great opportunity to collaborate all together.

              Best,

              Seth.