Re: Online collaboration

  • Saša Sirk
    Message 1 of 69 , Apr 2 1:23 PM
      Great lesson plan, Seth. I like the site you used and your slideshare - it made me think of homes in my country, where we live and how we feel about it. It made me feel grateful for what I have. Thank you for sharing this. The topic reminded me of a beautiful video called the miniature earth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drSDhlnm0e0 - what the world would be like if there were 100 people in the world, kind of makes you appreciate what you have.
      Warmly,
      Saša

      --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Seth Dickens <sethdickens@...> wrote:

      > HI there Carla,
      >
      > The lesson using www.theplaceswelive.com is definitely more suitable for 13
      > year olds. I used this lesson with my first class who would LOVE to have
      > some contact with Brazil or any other country in this great wee project. The
      > philosophy debate would quite possibly scare the poor dears!
      >
      > The places we live website itself has some fantastic photo slide stories
      > about people who live in slums. The stories are in general quite uplifting
      > though.
      >
      > I've uploaded my PowerPoint lesson that I used to teach the students. I'll
      > post a link as soon as Slideshare has finished processing the lesson. In the
      > meantime you can check out my Slideshare profile if you'd like to get an
      > advanced viewing (maybe it'll be finished by now :) )
      >
      > Slide 1 - "What can you see here?" Stsudents talk together and identify as
      > much as possible
      > Slide 2 - just an introductory discussion in pairs
      > Slide 3 - Some vocabulary to be pre-taught. I asked them to discuss the
      > vocab they knew, then went to the visual dictionary (
      > www.blachan.com/shahi) to check the words.
      > Slide 4 - Comprehension questions that go with the introductory text on the
      > website ( www.theplaceswelive.com ). I asked the sts to copy them down, then
      > we went to the website to look for the answers.
      > Slide 5 - (starts getting difficult)MOre comp Qs. I asked the sts to copy
      > them down,then we watched Mrs ShilPiri's testimony (from Mumbai, India) and
      > answered the questions.
      > Slide 6 - More vocabulary from Mrs Shilpiri's testimony. Again I used the
      > visual dictionary to check any words the students didn't know.
      > Slide 7- Final comprehension Questions.
      > Slide 8 - Reflection. Basically the idea is to point out to the students
      > that (probably) they don't really have it all that bad.
      >
      > STOP PRESS!!
      >
      > The Slideshare version is finished:
      > http://www.slideshare.net/sethdickens/the-places-we-live
      >
      > Also, I'll get a Voicethread version of this posted asap if you'd like
      > Carla, too.
      >
      > Looking forward to working with you all and hearing all your wonderful
      > students.
      >
      > Seth.
      >

      > --
      > Seth Dickens
      >
      > Homepage:
      > http://www.digitalang.com
      >
      > Thoughts and practical tips on ICT in language education:
      > http://www.digitalang.com/blog

    • Seth Dickens
      Message 69 of 69 , May 4, 2009
        Hi there Nelba!

        I would love to get my students to comment on your "What makes Argentina
        Unique" images. When do you think they'll be posted?

        I'm going to add your blog to our list of blogs to comment on. Look forward
        to interacting with you all!

        Seth :)