Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Re: Online collaboration

  • Seth Dickens
    Message 1 of 69 , Apr 2, 2009
      HI there Carla,

      The lesson using www.theplaceswelive.com is definitely more suitable for 13
      year olds. I used this lesson with my first class who would LOVE to have
      some contact with Brazil or any other country in this great wee project. The
      philosophy debate would quite possibly scare the poor dears!

      The places we live website itself has some fantastic photo slide stories
      about people who live in slums. The stories are in general quite uplifting
      though.

      I've uploaded my PowerPoint lesson that I used to teach the students. I'll
      post a link as soon as Slideshare has finished processing the lesson. In the
      meantime you can check out my Slideshare profile if you'd like to get an
      advanced viewing (maybe it'll be finished by now :) )

      Slide 1 - "What can you see here?" Stsudents talk together and identify as
      much as possible
      Slide 2 - just an introductory discussion in pairs
      Slide 3 - Some vocabulary to be pre-taught. I asked them to discuss the
      vocab they knew, then went to the visual dictionary (
      www.blachan.com/shahi) to check the words.
      Slide 4 - Comprehension questions that go with the introductory text on the
      website ( www.theplaceswelive.com ). I asked the sts to copy them down, then
      we went to the website to look for the answers.
      Slide 5 - (starts getting difficult)MOre comp Qs. I asked the sts to copy
      them down,then we watched Mrs ShilPiri's testimony (from Mumbai, India) and
      answered the questions.
      Slide 6 - More vocabulary from Mrs Shilpiri's testimony. Again I used the
      visual dictionary to check any words the students didn't know.
      Slide 7- Final comprehension Questions.
      Slide 8 - Reflection. Basically the idea is to point out to the students
      that (probably) they don't really have it all that bad.

      STOP PRESS!!

      The Slideshare version is finished:
      http://www.slideshare.net/sethdickens/the-places-we-live

      Also, I'll get a Voicethread version of this posted asap if you'd like
      Carla, too.

      Looking forward to working with you all and hearing all your wonderful
      students.

      Seth.

      --
      Seth Dickens

      Homepage:
      http://www.digitalang.com

      Thoughts and practical tips on ICT in language education:
      http://www.digitalang.com/blog

    • Seth Dickens
      Message 69 of 69 , May 4, 2009
        Hi there Nelba!

        I would love to get my students to comment on your "What makes Argentina
        Unique" images. When do you think they'll be posted?

        I'm going to add your blog to our list of blogs to comment on. Look forward
        to interacting with you all!

        Seth :)