Generation F

  • John Hibbs
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 28, 2009
      Gerard, this isn't good -- it's great. Thanks for sharing.

      Those blind copied, please visit

      <http://ref-notes.blogspot.com/2009/03/wsj-facebook-generation-vs-fortune-500.html>

      made tiny as below

      http://tinyurl.com/d9mkyd

      John Hibbs

      From: McKiernan, Gerard [LIB] [mailto:gerrymck@...]

      Colleagues/

      A Good Characterization of Us vs. Them [:-)]
      /Gerry

      Wall Street Journal / Gary Hamel's Management 2.0 / March 24, 2009 /
      5:38 PM ET

      The Facebook Generation vs. the Fortune 500

      The experience of growing up online will profoundly shape the workplace
      expectations of "Generation F" - the Facebook Generation. At a minimum,
      they'll expect the social environment of work to reflect the social
      context of the Web, [snip].

      If your company hopes to attract the most creative and energetic members
      of Gen F, it will need to understand these Internet-derived
      expectations, and then reinvent its management practices accordingly.
      [snip]

      With that in mind, I compiled a list of 12 work-relevant characteristics
      of online life. These are the post-bureaucratic realities that
      tomorrow's employees will use as yardsticks in in determining whether
      your company is "with it" or "past it." [snip]

      1. All ideas compete on an equal footing. [snip]

      2. Contribution counts for more than credentials. [snip]

      3. Hierarchies are natural, not prescribed. [snip]

      [snip]

      8. Power comes from sharing information, not hoarding it. [snip]

      9. Opinions compound and decisions are peer-reviewed.[snip]

      [snip]

      11. Intrinsic rewards matter most.[snip]

      12. Hackers are heroes.[snip]

      These features of Web-based life are written into the social DNA of
      Generation F-and mostly missing from the managerial DNA of the average
      Fortune 500 company. [snip]

      Full excerpts as well as The Link To The Full Text is available at

      [ http://tinyurl.com/d9mkyd ]

      Enjoy!

      /Gerry

      Gerry McKiernan

      Associate Professor

      Science and Technology Librarian

      Iowa State University Library

      Ames IA 50011

      gerrymck@...

      There is Nothing More Powerful Than An Idea Whose Time Has Come /
      Victor Hugo

      [ http://www.blogger.com/profile/09093368136660604490 ]
    • Barbara Dieu
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 28, 2009
        Thank you for this, John. Made my weekend! Good to know there is a
        promising future ahead for the nuts (as we are called today). Will
        circulate it. Unfortunately those who should read it and become aware
        of the changing reality, won't and if they do, won't understand it.
        Warm regards from Brazil,
        Bee

        --
        Barbara Dieu
        http://barbaradieu.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 29, 2009
          Just like for Bee, it made my day. Loved reading it and just wished more in
          leadership positions would understand that as we have more and more
          generation F in our workplace.

          Carla

          http://collablogatorium.blogspot.com (new explorations!)
          http://explorations.bloxi.jp

          On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 9:52 AM, John Hibbs <skipper@...> wrote:

          > Gerard, this isn't good -- it's great. Thanks for sharing.
          >
          > Those blind copied, please visit
          >
          > <
          > http://ref-notes.blogspot.com/2009/03/wsj-facebook-generation-vs-fortune-500.html
          > >

          > made tiny as below
          >
          > http://tinyurl.com/d9mkyd
          >
          > John Hibbs
          >
          > Gerald McKiernan writes:
          >
          > From: McKiernan, Gerard [LIB] [mailto:gerrymck@...<gerrymck%40iastate.edu>
          > ]
          >
          > Colleagues/
          >
          > A Good Characterization of Us vs. Them [:-)]
          > /Gerry
          >
          > Wall Street Journal / Gary Hamel's Management 2.0 / March 24, 2009 /
          > 5:38 PM ET
          >
          > The Facebook Generation vs. the Fortune 500
          >
          > The experience of growing up online will profoundly shape the workplace
          > expectations of "Generation F" - the Facebook Generation. At a minimum,
          > they'll expect the social environment of work to reflect the social
          > context of the Web, [snip].
          >
          > If your company hopes to attract the most creative and energetic members
          > of Gen F, it will need to understand these Internet-derived
          > expectations, and then reinvent its management practices accordingly.
          > [snip]
          >
          > With that in mind, I compiled a list of 12 work-relevant characteristics
          > of online life. These are the post-bureaucratic realities that
          > tomorrow's employees will use as yardsticks in in determining whether
          > your company is "with it" or "past it." [snip]
          >
          > 1. All ideas compete on an equal footing. [snip]
          >
          > 2. Contribution counts for more than credentials. [snip]
          >
          > 3. Hierarchies are natural, not prescribed. [snip]
          >
          > [snip]
          >
          > 8. Power comes from sharing information, not hoarding it. [snip]
          >
          > 9. Opinions compound and decisions are peer-reviewed.[snip]
          >
          > [snip]
          >
          > 11. Intrinsic rewards matter most.[snip]
          >
          > 12. Hackers are heroes.[snip]
          >
          > These features of Web-based life are written into the social DNA of
          > Generation F-and mostly missing from the managerial DNA of the average
          > Fortune 500 company. [snip]
          >
          > Full excerpts as well as The Link To The Full Text is available at
          >
          > [ http://tinyurl.com/d9mkyd ]
          >
          > Enjoy!
          >
          > /Gerry
          >
          > Gerry McKiernan
          >
          > Associate Professor
          >
          > Science and Technology Librarian
          >
          > Iowa State University Library
          >
          > Ames IA 50011
          >
          > gerrymck@... <gerrymck%40iastate.edu>
          >
          > There is Nothing More Powerful Than An Idea Whose Time Has Come /
          > Victor Hugo
          >
          > [ http://www.blogger.com/profile/09093368136660604490 ]

        • thelmadatter
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 2, 2009
            Very good blog post but like I commented there, one problem with this analysis is that most students of the "F Generation" are experiencing a very traditional education that still instills the "traditional values" (top down authoritarianism, personality politics etc). Im not saying that this generation's experience with a different value system wont have any effect on the workplace, but it may be one more generation before we really see any changes in the workplace.

            Unless, the web evolved into something that lessens the pluses we are seeing now. People have been people for millennia, and the struggle for power has always been central.

            Lets just hope Im wrong. Ive benefitted greatly from the Web!