Research Rant

  • thelmadatter
    Message 1 of 38 , Mar 5, 2009
      Barbara's link to the NY books article got me on a rant on my blog :D

      I think most of us will live to see the day when the current publishing system falls to pieces and more of us will have better access to information we need.

      http://metamexico.ning.com/profiles/blogs/google-copyright-and-the
    • Nina Liakos
      Message 38 of 38 , Mar 8, 2009
        Graham and Mike,

        That (no real beginners) is usually the case with us too in the United States, but there are still some people in the world who have never been introduced to English--I have a woman who escaped from North Korea in 1998 and spent time in prisons in 3 countries before making it to South Korea in 2002--she somehow enrolled in my ESL class at the U of Maryland this semester. She started the class with the English alphabet but no decoding skills, a few numbers and random words. Her classmates are all advanced beginners. For a student like her, private tutoring is probably the best answer, until they get enough English to really benefit from a "beginning" class.
        Nina

        what about real beginners? Don't you ever have any of