Re: Technology and Community

  • Nina Liakos
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 5 3:38 AM
      Thanks, Michael. The clip and blog post are both thought-provoking. The thought occurred to me as I read/watched that Americans, at least, often do not have the kind of first-life community Shane Hipps refers to, the community with a shared history. We move a lot, and we don't make friends easily (below the surface). It's easy to live on a street or in an apartment building and never get to know the majority of your neighbors (2 new families moved onto my street this year and I have yet to meet them! I am not proud of this.) To meet people, you often need a small child or a dog to walk. Of course, people who are active in a church have that community, but my own experiences (living in the same house for almost 30 years) is that it is easy to remain apart from the people who live in proximity to you. Maybe that is why many of us seek community online?

      I also agree that for me, the most memorable moments of shared history with my webhead friends are the f2f encounters. And our sense of a shared idea of the future--teachers and students learning together and interacting through technology, plus the webhead ideal of exploring and helping each other to get there--are what bring us together as a community of practice.

      My 2 cents,

      Nina