Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Re: ICT and CLIL Project

  • Seth Dickens
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 24, 2009
      Dear Rita,

      Many, many thanks for your kind words. I'm pleased that wonderful colleagues
      on this list like what we're doing at our school. I really think that this
      mix of Web 2.0 technology and CLIL (teaching "regular" subjects in a second
      language) has a lot of potential and could be successfully adopted in other
      schools. It's certainly working well here :)

      So to try and answer a few of your questions:

      As far as the organisation goes: me and the teacher of the subject sit down
      for a brainstorming session at the beginning of each term. I really think
      that project-based-learning lends itself nicely to Web 2.0 and ICT tools. We
      try to identify two or three key parts of that term's curriculum and design
      language projects around that (e.g.the parts of the microscope IWB lessons,
      the onion skin experiment vodcast and the microscopic life "glogs.") We then
      liaise each week to check on how the students are getting on and the next
      ICT things we're planning to do.

      I have one hour of f2f lessons each week with each of the five classes at
      our high school (years one to five). This is when the students do the main
      part of our work, like recording the speech for the video, or writing the
      questions for our surveys. Occasional things like creating the Glogs or
      answering survey questions are set as homework though. We are lucky to have
      a couple of computer labs in the school as well as IWBs in each class, so
      there are plenty of ways for the students to access the Web 2.0 tools we
      need.

      I'm glad you liked the surveys too. I know the students really enjoyed
      making them. Basically we had a discussion in class about teaching
      technology and whether traditional teaching methods were motivating to
      students nowadays. We decided to try to find out attitudes across the school
      and used Survey Monkey online polls (www.surveymonkey.com) to do this. To
      add a bit of variety when the other classes answered our surveys we decided
      to add other topics like racism, drug abuse, football violence and other
      sociological themes too. The Italian teacher also taught the students about
      how to write balanced surveys using the Likert scale, a key skill they'l
      need in their line of study. Once we'd collected and analysed the surveys,
      the students presented their results to the class in a PowerPoint
      presentation. It was really great to be able to present authentic results
      from their peers too. Far more so than if they were using a text book for
      example. Almost all of the stages of this project had language input too
      from how to phrase a survey question, through to good language to use for
      PowerPoint.

      Finally, Twitter. Wow! I'm glad you like what we're doing there. It really
      is in its embryonic stages though. As with all of our projects this year
      there are things I might change next time we do this. For example I would
      like to get the students a little more proficient in using Twitter
      themselves before twinning them with the other country, but all in all we
      're having a lot of fun experimrnting! The next step I think is to pair up
      the students together (like Carla and Dennis did) to encourage them to make
      more meaningful connections.

      Anyhow, sorry folks for the rambling length of this post. As you can tell,
      I'm really taken with what we're doing in our project and Rita's questions
      were just the excuse I needed :D

      Are there many more of us out there using tech tools to teach CLIL? I'd love
      to get in touch and share ideas or lesson plans.

      All the best,

      Seth.

      --
      Seth Dickens

      Homepage:
      http://www.digitalang.com

      Thoughts and practical tips on ICT in language education:
      http://www.digitalang.com/blog

    • Rita Zeinstejer
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 25, 2009
        Thank you very much, dear Seth, for your detailed, very interesting
        description of how you have prepared your students for this project.
        I liked the way you organized your work, how you joined a colleague to
        pool ideas, how you further exploited the surveys the stds created,
        your plans to integrate Twitter. Fantastic job!
        It will certainly inspire many of us ;-)

        Warm regards from Argentina,

        Rita

        --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Seth Dickens
        <sethdickens@...> wrote:

        > Dear Rita,
        >
        > Many, many thanks for your kind words. I'm pleased that wonderful
        colleagues
        > on this list like what we're doing at our school. I really think that
        this
        > mix of Web 2.0 technology and CLIL (teaching "regular" subjects in a
        second
        > language) has a lot of potential and could be successfully adopted in
        other
        > schools. It's certainly working well here :)

      • Elizabeth Hanson-Smith
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 4, 2009
          Hi Rita--
          Sorry I couldn't make your webinar on Friday, April 3--life is just rushing by.
          --Elizabeth