Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Re: Our Nings - Offensive and Inappropriate Google Ads!

  • Barbara Dieu
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 6, 2009
      Market Ideology and the Myths of Web 2.0
      Good essay. It debunks the myths of the Web 2.0 brand and argues that
      the popularized phrase limits public media discourse and the
      imagination of a future World Wide Web.
      An excerpt:

      "The Web is empowering many individuals and also social movements
      today. However, users don't just click for the good of all beings;
      more than 742,000 people make a living on Amazon.com's used book
      "associate" program. The Social Web helps in the pursuit of individual
      self–interest. At the same time, it's important not to forget that we,
      the users are guests in the house of Social Media giants. Standing on
      their shoulders, we are entering their rooms; we are banking on the
      hospitality of their server farms, we are trusting that all the data
      that we are sharing through our conversations and on our profiles are
      not abused in scenarios of total control, barely imaginable today."
      http://www.uic.edu/htbin/cgiwrap/bin/ojs/index.php/fm/article/view/2138/1945

      A more frightening scenario in sci-fi novel Little Brother
      http://craphound.com/littlebrother/download/
      and the steps being slowly taken to make this happen
      An Orwellian future in store for the internet
      http://www.oldthinkernews.com/Articles/oldthinker%20news/eu_set_to_move.htm

      Lots of food for thought.

      Warm regards from Brazil,
      Bee

      --
      Barbara Dieu
      http://barbaradieu.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 6, 2009
        Hi Miguel,

        This is just the sort of thing I mean. I wonder if Ning can't expand their
        Ad-free program to all educational use.

        I use a Wetpaint.com wiki with my students. It was ad supported to begin
        with, all I had to do though was to email Wetpaint with a request to take
        the ads down. Within 2 or 3 days, one of their admins had visited the site
        and there were no longer any ads there at all.

        They'll give ad-free status to any sites that fall into the follwing
        criteria:

        "Who qualifies for an ad-free wiki? The following uses of education wikis
        qualify for ad-free status:

        - Middle/High School, University, and Grad School Classrooms (ages 13+)
        - Group projects and assignments given by a teacher as part of a class
        curriculum
        - Dissertations, portfolios, and other displays of students' work in
        school
        - Wikis created by educators to connect with parents"

        I hope that Ning might one day do the same. To be honest, there's no reason
        why Google couldn't have a similar scheme too.

        Gavin, I do appreciate what you say about educating learners to online
        perils, it's a good point. We do need to help our younger studentslearn to
        filter out this sort of stuff as they'll see it anyway in other contexts,
        I'm sure. I fear that in some of the schools I've worked in it just wouldn't
        wash though and they'd stick with the sledgehammer approach :)

        Best,

        Seth.

        2009/1/6 Miguel Mendoza <mmendoza97@...>

        > Hi everyone,
        >
        > It seems to be that the only way to remove ads from Ning is to pay for
        > Premium Services (monthly!)...:
        >
        > "Control the Ads"
        >
        > $24.95 per month
        >
        > By default, Ning reserves the right to run ads on your social network.
        > You can choose to remove the ads on your network or, alternatively, run
        > ads from any advertising network with this option."
        >
        > Taken from: http://about.ning.com/product.php
        >
        > Miguel

        Seth Dickens

        Homepage:
        http://www.digitalang.com

        Thoughts and practical tips on ICT in language education:
        http://www.digitalang.com/blog

      • Seth Dickens
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 6, 2009
          The Little Brother book you mention looks great Barbara. I love the idea of
          an Open Source book too!

          "A more frightening scenario in sci-fi novel Little Brother
          http://craphound.com/littlebrother/download/ "

          Have you got any other links to similar sites where learners can download
          whole ebooks? It seems like a fantastic resoruce.

          Seth.

          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 6, 2009
            What do you mean by an Open Source book? A book that teaches you about
            open source, a book that is written on an open source platform or a
            book that is written following the open source model?
            Why not have your learners collaborate on writing a book on something
            that interests them?
            Check out Wikibooks
            http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Main_Page
            or Wikieducator
            http://wikieducator.org/Main_Page

            Books for downloading
            http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page

            and lots of fanzine to choose from
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fanzine

            Warm regards from Brazil,
            Bee

            --
            Barbara Dieu
            http://barbaradieu.com
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 6, 2009
              Hiya Bee,

              I'd meant the "book that is written following the open source model" I
              think that you mention below, but I'm getting my CreativeCcommons and open
              source all mixed up.

              Anyhow, the wikibooks link that you sent looks like it's got enough Creative
              Commons books for me to be getting on with for quite a while yet!

              Thanks for this Bee :D

              All the best,

              --
              Seth Dickens

              Homepage:
              http://www.digitalang.com

              Thoughts and practical tips on ICT in language education:
              http://www.digitalang.com/blog

            • Carla arena
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 7, 2009
                Dear Seth and all,

                Very interesting discussion about Ning's appropriateness for our educational
                endeavors. Sorry for taking some time to get back to you. It's just that I'm
                connectionless now that I've shipped things to Brazil and moving back in two
                weeks.

                I just added my post with the main ideas here, Seth, and what I think.
                http://collablogatorium.blogspot.com/2009/01/ning.html

                Thanks for starting this, Seth, but I do hope you don't shy away from the
                Images <http://images4education.ning.com> session!

                Baci.
                Carla

                http://collablogatorium.blogspot.com (new explorations!)
                http://explorations.bloxi.jp

                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 7, 2009
                  Dear Carla,

                  I'm really finding this discussion interesting too, not only for the ethics
                  and methodology we're discussing, but also to see whether Ning have the good
                  sense to listen to the opinions of the group of cutting edge teachers that
                  The Webheads are.

                  I'll put a more opinionated (and intriguing) comment on your blog :D

                  Best,

                  Seth.

                  --
                  Seth Dickens

                  Homepage:
                  http://www.digitalang.com

                  Thoughts and practical tips on ICT in language education:
                  http://www.digitalang.com/blog

                • Elizabeth Hanson-Smith
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 7, 2009
                    Seth--
                    Wouldn't it be more to the point to write to the Ning admins directly?
                    I doubt they read the billions of blog posts.
                    --Elizabeth

                    --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Seth Dickens"