Re: [evonline2002_webheads] html and ppt

  • Thomas Robb
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 2, 2002
      Hi, this is Tom Robb, an infrequent visitor to webhead land.

      I'm wondering why Aiden prefers to upload the files in HTML format when
      these days many people can view the PowerPoint (.ppt) file directly. The
      original Powerpoint file takes up considerably less space than the same
      contents converted into HTML because Powerpoint has to convert each slide
      into a separate graphic, plus graphics for each element that appears in the
      slide during the presentation. This eats up a LOT of extra space.

      I have a presentation, for example, which contains 26 slides that takes up
      264 kb has a .ppt file, but 3.8 mb when (expanded) into a set of HTML
      documents. If you are really interested in saving space, then just FTP
      the original .ppt files and save a bundle of space!

      Cheers,
      --Tom

      ** Thomas Robb, Kyoto Sangyo University, Japan <trobb@...-su.ac.jp> **
      ** Homepage: http://www.kyoto-su.ac.jp/~trobb/index.html **
    • Aiden Yeh
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 2, 2002
        Tom, Arnold and Dr. Cat,
        Many thanks for your advice. I didn't know that html file takes up more space, I wouldn't have wasted one weekend trying to figure out how it all works! Anyway, it's a good thing I haven't uploaded the folder with files yet-can you imagine me uploading each graphic/image one by one?
        So, you are all suggesting that using FTP is a lot faster and making webpages and uploading files with FTP would save me all the trouble? Hmmm.
        I have Frontpage but I've never really used it. The mere sight of html codes and commands make me dizzy- anyway, what the heck, might as well give it a try. Besides, if I get in trouble (again) webheads will always be there. Right? Right. (you have to imagine me saying this with feelings) ;-)
        tah-tah,
        aiden

      • Dafne
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 2, 2002
          Dear Aiden,

          You do not need to know HTML to work with Front Page. You have the
          normal page option, where you can create your web pages the same way
          you are doing with Page Builder in Geocities, with the advantage that
          you have the HTML view and you can combine both. Btw, to upload your
          Power Point presentation to your web server, if you use FTP, you only
          need to upload the folder from your Power Point application files.

          Hugs
          Daf

        • a.muhren@quicknet.nl
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 3, 2002
            Hi Tom,

            >I have a presentation, for example, which contains 26 slides that takes up
            >264 kb has a .ppt file, but 3.8 mb when (expanded) into a set of HTML
            >documents.

            Thanks for pointing this out. I knew this to be the case, but was not aware
            that the difference could be that big.

            When people do convert to .html, they may of course be doing this to
            prevent piracy-editing of their .ppt presentation by others. Simply loading
            the .ppt file into Powerpoint gives others that capability as you know.

            Cheers, Arnold
          • Aiden Yeh
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 3, 2002
              Arnold wrote: When people do convert to .html, they may of course be doing this to
              prevent piracy-editing of their .ppt presentation by others. Simply loading
              the .ppt file into Powerpoint gives others that capability as you know.

              Thanks for pointing this out, Arnold. See, I didn't know this, too. ;-)

              Aiden