Re: [evonline2002_webheads] html and ppt

  • a.muhren@quicknet.nl
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 1 6:57 AM
      Hi Aiden,

      Thanks for making me welcome.

      The only shortcut I can see is using an FTP programme. This involves
      downloading one from the WWW (they are shareware, freeware or commercial).
      I am not using Geocities myself but looking at their site I see now they
      actually point users in that direction. An FTP programme allows you to
      click on a folder and presto! folder plus content is transferred from your
      local computer to the web server of Geocities (or any other server). A
      hundred and one folders in one go if you like. Learning to use FTP
      initially is nothing compared to the efficiency to upload and update web
      pages later on. You will soon find you need more space however :-).
      Geocities has FTP Help pages:
      http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/geo/gftp/
      Free FTP programme for personal and educational use:
      http://www.smartftp.com/

      Hope this is useful.

      Arnold

    • J. H. Steele
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 1 10:13 AM
        Arnold,

        I'd like to second Aiden's welcome to you. Welcome to our group. I hope you
        find a home here.

        I'd also like to reinforce something you said about FTP. When you choose an
        FTP program, try out several. The one I use took me a couple of hours to
        learn, but now i don't know what I would do without it. In fact, I seldom
        use Geocities upload function any more (except when I am using my computer
        in the office).

        I've both uploaded presentations both as ppt files and after converting
        them to html. It takes longer to upload the html version, but it does seem
        to load faster than the ppt version. Oh, and you are right about needing
        more space :-) . (I finally had to upgrade to the Pro version.)

        (My presentations can be seen at http://palace.eslpalace.com/workshops .
        Just click on one of the workshops. If there is an associated presentation,
        you can view it by clicking on the presentation button.)

        John (Dr. Cat)

        Prof. John H. Steele, Ph.D.
        Department of English
        University of Puerto Rico at Aguadilla

        jhsteele@...
        http://www.eslpalace.com
      • Thomas Robb
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 2 4:39 AM
          Hi, this is Tom Robb, an infrequent visitor to webhead land.

          I'm wondering why Aiden prefers to upload the files in HTML format when
          these days many people can view the PowerPoint (.ppt) file directly. The
          original Powerpoint file takes up considerably less space than the same
          contents converted into HTML because Powerpoint has to convert each slide
          into a separate graphic, plus graphics for each element that appears in the
          slide during the presentation. This eats up a LOT of extra space.

          I have a presentation, for example, which contains 26 slides that takes up
          264 kb has a .ppt file, but 3.8 mb when (expanded) into a set of HTML
          documents. If you are really interested in saving space, then just FTP
          the original .ppt files and save a bundle of space!

          Cheers,
          --Tom

          ** Thomas Robb, Kyoto Sangyo University, Japan <trobb@...-su.ac.jp> **
          ** Homepage: http://www.kyoto-su.ac.jp/~trobb/index.html **
        • Aiden Yeh
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 2 5:10 AM
            Tom, Arnold and Dr. Cat,
            Many thanks for your advice. I didn't know that html file takes up more space, I wouldn't have wasted one weekend trying to figure out how it all works! Anyway, it's a good thing I haven't uploaded the folder with files yet-can you imagine me uploading each graphic/image one by one?
            So, you are all suggesting that using FTP is a lot faster and making webpages and uploading files with FTP would save me all the trouble? Hmmm.
            I have Frontpage but I've never really used it. The mere sight of html codes and commands make me dizzy- anyway, what the heck, might as well give it a try. Besides, if I get in trouble (again) webheads will always be there. Right? Right. (you have to imagine me saying this with feelings) ;-)
            tah-tah,
            aiden

          • Dafne
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 2 5:42 AM
              Dear Aiden,

              You do not need to know HTML to work with Front Page. You have the
              normal page option, where you can create your web pages the same way
              you are doing with Page Builder in Geocities, with the advantage that
              you have the HTML view and you can combine both. Btw, to upload your
              Power Point presentation to your web server, if you use FTP, you only
              need to upload the folder from your Power Point application files.

              Hugs
              Daf

            • a.muhren@quicknet.nl
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 3 10:05 AM
                Hi Tom,

                >I have a presentation, for example, which contains 26 slides that takes up
                >264 kb has a .ppt file, but 3.8 mb when (expanded) into a set of HTML
                >documents.

                Thanks for pointing this out. I knew this to be the case, but was not aware
                that the difference could be that big.

                When people do convert to .html, they may of course be doing this to
                prevent piracy-editing of their .ppt presentation by others. Simply loading
                the .ppt file into Powerpoint gives others that capability as you know.

                Cheers, Arnold
              • Aiden Yeh
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 3 7:50 PM
                  Arnold wrote: When people do convert to .html, they may of course be doing this to
                  prevent piracy-editing of their .ppt presentation by others. Simply loading
                  the .ppt file into Powerpoint gives others that capability as you know.

                  Thanks for pointing this out, Arnold. See, I didn't know this, too. ;-)

                  Aiden