Re: [evonline2002_webheads] html and ppt

  • a.muhren@quicknet.nl
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 1, 2002
      Hi Aiden,

      The conversion by Powerpoint (save as) from ppt to html format creates a
      starter file AND a folder with files.

      http://www.geocities.com/aidenyeh/nkfust/writing/writing1119.html

      Your url tells me you have a category folder named "writing". These two
      items are what you need there:

      writing1119.html (file)
      writing1119_files (folder with files - slides, images, etc.)

      NB So the starter file needs to be outside the "writing1119_files" folder!

      Folder and file must always stay together. Clicking on the starter file -
      writing1119.html - will produce the presentation for which it draws all the
      information from the folder (slides, images, etc.).

      I understand you upload your pages via the web (and not by ftp). You are
      talking about creating a folder in the Geocities file manager on the site
      and then uploading file by file into this folder? But maybe you can upload
      the entire folder plus contents in one go... (plus the starter file).

      Hope this helps.

      Arnold
      (I am new to this group)

      At 19:31 30-11-2002 -0800, you wrote:

      >Here I go again with my powerpoint hullabaloo. It's really a lot easier to
      >save and upload powerpoint presentations in .ppt files, however, they also
      >take up a lot of space. As it turns out, the easy way around isn't always
      >the wisest. I'm using geocities and because of the amount and load of
      >files that i've used recently excedes the minimum file allocations for a
      >free geocities account, I had to upgrade to GeoPlus. And now that i've
      >uploaded ppt files, i'm about to run out of space soon, so I have to think
      >of other ways to reduce this space consumption or I'd have to upgrade
      >services to GeoPro-in which I'm not personally convinced that I really do
      >need GeoPro- well, not at this stage.
      >
      >Here's an example of a page that I've finished. The contents are original
      >works and writings of my students (unedited version). If you click on the
      >links on powerpoint presentations, you will notice that the other one
      >(Beatrice's) work leads you to .ppt file ( a huge file) and the other one
      >(Jane's) only took up 2 KB saved in html file is nowhere to be found,
      >inspite the fact that I've already uploaded the html file successfully.
      ><http://www.geocities.com/aidenyeh/nkfust/writing/jane_beatrice.html>http://www.geocities.com/aidenyeh/nkfust/writing/jane_beatrice.html
      >
      >I have Step by Step Powerpoint book and it says that powerpoint creates a
      >folder with the same name as the powerpoint presentation. In this folder
      >is a set of files that powerpoint uses to display the presentation on the
      >web. If I move the powerpoint presentation to another location (Geocities
      >file manager), then I would need to move this folder, too. now, I tried
      >doing that, and when I opened the folder, there are about more than 20
      >graphics and images that I need to upload one by one! Do I have to upload
      >them one by one? Should I create a new folder (subdirectory) for this?
      >
      >Perhaps, this folder is the culprit why my powerpoint html can't be viewed
      >properly. It's like the backbone of this html file and without it, my html
      >pwerpoint presnetation is good for nothing.
      >
      >What am I to do?
      >
      >Aiden

      >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      ><http://rd.yahoo.com/M=234081.2711418.4084139.1925585/D=egroupweb/S=1705080709:HM/A=1327985/R=0/*http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;4870024;7586687;x?http://www.ameriquestmortgage.com/welcome.html?ad=Yahoo01>186d2c8c.jpg
      >186d2d18.jpg

      >For more information:
      ><http://www.vancestevens.com/papers/evonline2002/webheads.htm>http://www.vancestevens.com/papers/evonline2002/webheads.htm
      >http://lightning.prohosting.com/~vstevens/papers/evonline2002/webheads.htm
      >
      >Syllabus:
      ><http://www.vancestevens.com/papers/evonline2002/syllabus.htm>http://www.vancestevens.com/papers/evonline2002/syllabus.htm
      >http://lightning.prohosting.com/~vstevens/papers/evonline2002/syllabus.htm

    • Aiden Yeh
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 1, 2002
        Hello, Arnold and welcome to this group. You seem to pretty much understand my situation right now ;-) Impressive.
        You wrote: You are
        talking about creating a folder in the Geocities file manager on the site
        and then uploading file by file into this folder? But maybe you can upload
        the entire folder plus contents in one go... (plus the starter file).

        i have already uploaded the starter file (writing1119.html) into geocities. I understand that I also need to upload the folder with files into the same directory (writing). however, when I tried to do just that, geocities file manager opened the folder's contents and I gather that I have to upload them one by one. how can I upload the entire folder with contents in one go? Is there a short cut to this?
        Aiden

        a.muhren@... wrote:Hi Aiden,

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        Syllabus:

      • Dafne
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 1, 2002
          Hello Arnold,

          Welcome to this community, and thanks for the help you are providing!
          It is nice to see new members getting right into action. We really
          appreciate that!

          Cheers,
          Daf

          --- In evonline2002_webheads@y..., Aiden Yeh <aidenyeh@y...> wrote:

> [...]
          > >is a set of files that powerpoint uses to display the presentation
          on the
          > >web. If I move the powerpoint presentation to another location
          (Geocities
          > >file manager), then I would need to move this folder, too. now, I
          tried
          > >doing that, and when I opened the folder, there are about more
          than 20
          > >graphics and images that I need to upload one by one! Do I have to
          upload
          > >them one by one? Should I create a new folder (subdirectory) for
          this?

          > >Perhaps, this folder is the culprit why my powerpoint html can't
          be viewed
          > >properly. It's like the backbone of this html file and without it,
          my html
          > >pwerpoint presnetation is good for nothing.

          Service.

        • a.muhren@quicknet.nl
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 1, 2002
            Hi Aiden,

            Thanks for making me welcome.

            The only shortcut I can see is using an FTP programme. This involves
            downloading one from the WWW (they are shareware, freeware or commercial).
            I am not using Geocities myself but looking at their site I see now they
            actually point users in that direction. An FTP programme allows you to
            click on a folder and presto! folder plus content is transferred from your
            local computer to the web server of Geocities (or any other server). A
            hundred and one folders in one go if you like. Learning to use FTP
            initially is nothing compared to the efficiency to upload and update web
            pages later on. You will soon find you need more space however :-).
            Geocities has FTP Help pages:
            http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/geo/gftp/
            Free FTP programme for personal and educational use:
            http://www.smartftp.com/

            Hope this is useful.

            Arnold

          • J. H. Steele
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 1, 2002
              Arnold,

              I'd like to second Aiden's welcome to you. Welcome to our group. I hope you
              find a home here.

              I'd also like to reinforce something you said about FTP. When you choose an
              FTP program, try out several. The one I use took me a couple of hours to
              learn, but now i don't know what I would do without it. In fact, I seldom
              use Geocities upload function any more (except when I am using my computer
              in the office).

              I've both uploaded presentations both as ppt files and after converting
              them to html. It takes longer to upload the html version, but it does seem
              to load faster than the ppt version. Oh, and you are right about needing
              more space :-) . (I finally had to upgrade to the Pro version.)

              (My presentations can be seen at http://palace.eslpalace.com/workshops .
              Just click on one of the workshops. If there is an associated presentation,
              you can view it by clicking on the presentation button.)

              John (Dr. Cat)

              Prof. John H. Steele, Ph.D.
              Department of English
              University of Puerto Rico at Aguadilla

              jhsteele@...
              http://www.eslpalace.com
            • Thomas Robb
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 2, 2002
                Hi, this is Tom Robb, an infrequent visitor to webhead land.

                I'm wondering why Aiden prefers to upload the files in HTML format when
                these days many people can view the PowerPoint (.ppt) file directly. The
                original Powerpoint file takes up considerably less space than the same
                contents converted into HTML because Powerpoint has to convert each slide
                into a separate graphic, plus graphics for each element that appears in the
                slide during the presentation. This eats up a LOT of extra space.

                I have a presentation, for example, which contains 26 slides that takes up
                264 kb has a .ppt file, but 3.8 mb when (expanded) into a set of HTML
                documents. If you are really interested in saving space, then just FTP
                the original .ppt files and save a bundle of space!

                Cheers,
                --Tom

                ** Thomas Robb, Kyoto Sangyo University, Japan <trobb@...-su.ac.jp> **
                ** Homepage: http://www.kyoto-su.ac.jp/~trobb/index.html **
              • Aiden Yeh
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 2, 2002
                  Tom, Arnold and Dr. Cat,
                  Many thanks for your advice. I didn't know that html file takes up more space, I wouldn't have wasted one weekend trying to figure out how it all works! Anyway, it's a good thing I haven't uploaded the folder with files yet-can you imagine me uploading each graphic/image one by one?
                  So, you are all suggesting that using FTP is a lot faster and making webpages and uploading files with FTP would save me all the trouble? Hmmm.
                  I have Frontpage but I've never really used it. The mere sight of html codes and commands make me dizzy- anyway, what the heck, might as well give it a try. Besides, if I get in trouble (again) webheads will always be there. Right? Right. (you have to imagine me saying this with feelings) ;-)
                  tah-tah,
                  aiden

                • Dafne
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 2, 2002
                    Dear Aiden,

                    You do not need to know HTML to work with Front Page. You have the
                    normal page option, where you can create your web pages the same way
                    you are doing with Page Builder in Geocities, with the advantage that
                    you have the HTML view and you can combine both. Btw, to upload your
                    Power Point presentation to your web server, if you use FTP, you only
                    need to upload the folder from your Power Point application files.

                    Hugs

                  • a.muhren@quicknet.nl
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 3, 2002
                      Hi Tom,

                      >I have a presentation, for example, which contains 26 slides that takes up
                      >264 kb has a .ppt file, but 3.8 mb when (expanded) into a set of HTML
                      >documents.

                      Thanks for pointing this out. I knew this to be the case, but was not aware
                      that the difference could be that big.

                      When people do convert to .html, they may of course be doing this to
                      prevent piracy-editing of their .ppt presentation by others. Simply loading
                      the .ppt file into Powerpoint gives others that capability as you know.

                      Cheers, Arnold
                    • Aiden Yeh
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 3, 2002
                        Arnold wrote: When people do convert to .html, they may of course be doing this to
                        prevent piracy-editing of their .ppt presentation by others. Simply loading
                        the .ppt file into Powerpoint gives others that capability as you know.

                        Thanks for pointing this out, Arnold. See, I didn't know this, too. ;-)

                        Aiden