Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Tapped In Virtual pets and notes

  • Teresa Almeida d'Eça
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2002
      Hi, Susanne and all other cyberfriends!

      Thank you for commenting on and answering some of my doubts regarding
      last
      Sunday's TI session. Besides being a complete newbie to TI, I think my
      basic
      problem was not being a member. I am now. I went back there last
      Tuesday for
      the Eurolanguage session. It was great and PhilB and DeeB gave us
      access to
      fabulous materials they and their students are creating.

      I sometimes got lost, or thought I was lost -- effects of totally new
      technological environments to me. But it's great to explore them with
      other
      newbie colleagues while having veterans patiently guiding us along the
      way.

      Susanne, I'm glad you clarified the following:

      "This may disappoint you - Tapped In is a low tech virtual environment
      and we have no animations or 3D effects , so far:-) When you click
      an object in the *what's here*, you will see a note in the image
      field on your left part of the screen. The pet does nothing

      because I thought the problem was me knowing very little about the
      whole
      environment. I really didn't understand if some of the pets were
      'really'
      performing some of the things or not! No, it doesn't disappoint me. TI
      may
      be low-tech, but, as you say, Susanne, it gives a lot of great
      facilities,
      such as the chat log script -- undoubtedly very useful. Sometimes it
      was
      difficult for me to keep up with the pace of the messages, so, being
      able to
      reread everything at my own rhythm, sort out ideas and really absorb
      what
      was going on, is a great advantage.

      You also said: "finally I consider Tapped In as
      the place where I met a lot of interesting people which is the most
      important part of it all - for making friendship as well as
      professional exchanges!" Couldn't agree more with you!

      Thanks again for all the insight. See you on Sunday, Teresa

      * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
      Teresa Almeida d'Eca
      Escola EB 2,3 de Sto. Antonio - Parede
      tmvaz@...
      http://www.malhatlantica.pt/teresadeca/
      "Communication is the key to education, understanding and peace."
      (James Bryce)
      * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2002
        Hello everyone,
        Somewhere in the middle of our discussion about Yahoo Groups, Keiko said:

        “Just noticed that nobody has mentioned Yahoo Education. It is very much like YahooGroups, but it has a friendly structure for offering class online. http://dir.yahoo.com/education/%c2%94

        and Vance reflected:

        “o 0 O (wonders if this is the same at http://courses.yahoo.com/)”

        I decided to check it out and teleported there. Both URLs refer to the same site. You are offered a virtual tour to see what it is like, and to get a description of the different features it offers. But I was not satisfied with the tour, because it consists of still frames. So, I created a course (3 steps) to be able to explore its features. This is what I learned:

        It is very similar to Yahoo Groups, but it includes:

        1. A place to insert the "Syllabus" which can be downloaded or created there, with the help of a step-by-step guide, which can be modified to suit the users’ needs.

        2. A place for the "Rooster"

        3. A space for "Handouts", which serves the same purposes of the Y.G. "Files" feature.

        4. A place called "Submissions", where students can deposit their assignments to be picked up by the instructor.

        As opposed to Yahoo Groups, it does not include the chat, the photos, and the database features, which I consider a minus. It retains all the other features we haven experienced in our Yahoo Group page.

        It is another possibility to consider. Courses can be easily deleted in case you are just experimenting. I decided to keep mine there to try it with my students next term.

        Dafne

        Syllabus:

      • Susanne Nyrop
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2002
          Hi everybody,

          Hopefully the fast exchange of emails is not making anyone too
          exhausted! This is actually an excellent way of sharing all our
          experiences, troubleshooting and concerns, and to make an online
          community, the basic software need to be well tested and described
          from as many viewpoints as possible!

          I just wanted to tell I registered with ease for the free online accessible ICQ

          http:///web.icq.com
          (the ICQ light version is freeware and I was not invaded by an
          overwhealm of promising banner ads)

          Mac users - I was very happy because connecting to ICQ has been out
          of reach, as Yahoo messenger does not support mac systems older than
          v. 8.5 (and my 6400 computer runs 8.1 with best result).

          There is possibility to fill out your personal and professional data
          and interests, add a photo etc, but as a startup I prefer to stay
          undescribed in this unknown global searchable forum.

          I found Vance Stevens easily just by name and state, and invited him
          to be on my list. Now, it is possible for any of you to invite me on
          your ICQ list if desired, and I would also like to get a lot of yours
          on my list, as well. (just a modern way of exchanging phone numbers,
          or those tiny business cards :-)

          My online ICQ name is s.nyrop and the number is 149365400

          Yours, Susanne

          Only concern (if any) was that I had to use the blocking of my first
          contact, a friendly invitation from "Linda", who showed up to be a
          dirty erotic something, possibly a commercial sex pusher? I was aware
          because the system warned me that the message might come from a non
          ICQ source (or something similar).