Learning technology updates 2nd December 2008

  • Nik Peachey
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 2, 2008
      Hi All

      Thought it was high time I sent out another of these, so here goes.

      On my learning technology blog I've been looking at a number of things.

      I found a useful tool that can help you and your students use Google a corpora to analyse language in what I hope is an enjoyable but informative way.
      You can find out more about that here: http://tinyurl.com/59q8sn

      I also discovered a great tool for creating books from Flickr images that you can embed into your blog or website. You can also add text to these so that students can create illustrated poems and narratives as well as vocabulary records. Find out more about that here: http://tinyurl.com/65pnea

      I have recently become a great fan of the web cam which I think is probably one of today's most useful peripherals you can add to your computer. So I've started a series of articles on why web cams are so great and why every educator and students should have one. The first in this series looks at ways you can use them to create digital narrative. Find out more here: http://tinyurl.com/6mhct5

      My most recent posting though looks at another web tool that draws on flickr images and this one is called Flickriver and it creates a stream of images. I've written some suggestions for how to use this really simple but engaging tool for a rang of classroom activities from brainstorming vocabulary to creating their own grammar drills. Read more here: http://tinyurl.com/5ohnw2

      My Daily English Activities blog now has more than 60 activities that you can try with your students or they can do alone at home.
      You can see all 60 on the site map at: http://daily-english-activities.blogspot.com/2008/08/sitemap.html

      Some of the more popular ones over the last month are:

      Develop Your Vocabulary - great interactive vocabulary game
      http://tinyurl.com/57cns8

      Listen to a good book - which gets students listening to people reading chapters from popular books
      http://tinyurl.com/56ayp4

      Obama: A moment in history - This activity gives students access to a small free software program which helps them to listen to and recreate a speech by Barack Obama.
      http://tinyurl.com/6d92en

      Improve your English Typing and Punctuation - This does pretty much what it says, by getting students to work against the clock to accurately rewrite text.
      http://tinyurl.com/5lbd9g

      And most recently, I have an activity to get students text chatting with Santa (well it is December now) and I won't be getting a pony this year it seems! (Just haven't been good enough yet)
      http://tinyurl.com/69cd7o

      If this isn't enough, new and useful bits of software and websites have been coming thick and fast over the last month. Just a few of the best on my Quick Shout blog are:

      A great tool for creating video carousels for your block with up to 8 videos on. This is great for controlling access to YouTube and building tasks around more than one video resource
      http://tinyurl.com/5pv2y7

      Another great Flickr tool for creating image montage that you can add to a blog or website.
      http://tinyurl.com/6j8qpj

      A great website that has ready made lesson plans for exploiting YouTube videos
      http://tinyurl.com/6y6rcj

      I've also found a great Business simulation / role playing game that was designed for teenagers and has lots of wonderful multimedia to make them listen and think.
      http://tinyurl.com/5socly

      Here you can see a review of some great free web cam software that can transform your web cam into a really creative imaging tool
      http://tinyurl.com/5s6n85

      And here you can see a review of another great video sharing site which heps you create interactive language learning exercises round video
      http://tinyurl.com/5wsgqx

      Well if you've made it this far down the message you are either very committed or you still haven't found anything useful, in which case I apologies for wasting your time and offer you this one last link. This is a review of a really useful tool for creating multimedia time lines, combining images text and video from YouTube. Great tool for project work.
      http://tinyurl.com/5qngdx

      Lastly, I'll apologies in advance for any typos or spelling mistakes as it's late and I'm really in a hurry.
      Hope you find something here for you and your students to enjoy.

      Best wishes for Xmas, if you celebrate it, and the new year

      Nik Peachey | Learning Technology Consultant, Writer, Trainer
      Teacher Development: http://nikpeachey.blogspot.com/
      News and Tips: http://quickshout.blogspot.com/
      Student Activities: http://daily-english-activities.blogspot.com/
      My Office in Second Life at: http://tinyurl.com/ytz5go

      "I'd rather learn from one bird how to sing than teach ten thousand stars how not to dance"
      e. e. cummings
    • Barbara Dieu
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 4, 2008
        Nik Peachey...you are just amazing! Thank you for the X-mas gift!
        Warm regards from Brazil,
        Bee

        --
        Barbara Dieu