Help to find the right application for a project

  • Maria Victoria Saumell
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2008
      Dear webheads,
      I am putting together a presentation on free web applications for
      language use.
      I would like to show different applications and how they can be used
      for language learning through projects/ examples from my own teaching
      practice.
      I thought I could use Webslides provided I have internet access in the
      conference room. Do you have any other suggestions in case this
      doesn’t work?
      I'm sure there are other options...

      Thanks,
      Vicky Saumell from Argentina
    • Seth Dickens
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 2, 2008
        I am guessing that Powerpoint is probably your best bet to put the
        presentation together. I don't like to rely solely on the internet if
        I am doing a presentation.

        If you'd prefer a free versions Open Office's "Impress" is a great
        presentation tool and it's free.

        Seth.
      • Maria Victoria Saumell
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 3, 2008
          Thanks Seth for your prompt answer.

          My dilemma is... I would very much like to show the actual webpages
          and applications to show how they work. Powerpoint would only let me
          include screenshots, wouldn't it?

          Maybe I should have both options ready and check which works better...

          Thanks again,
          Vicky Saumell

          --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Seth Dickens"
          <sethdickens@...> wrote:

          > I am guessing that Powerpoint is probably your best bet to put the
          > presentation together. I don't like to rely solely on the internet if
          > I am doing a presentation.
          >
          > If you'd prefer a free versions Open Office's "Impress" is a great
          > presentation tool and it's free.
          >

          > Seth.

        • Carla arena
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 3, 2008
            Vicky,

            You can record the pages you want to show to be shown offline. Just go to
            the page you want to show, on your browser you must have the options "File",
            then "save as". Voilà! You can show a saved page. Remember that if you want
            to go from one page to the other through hyperlinks, you'll have to save
            each one individually.

            I hope this helps.

            Beijos,
            Carla
            http://explorations.bloxi.jp
            http://brazilnaskeywest.wordpress.com

            On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 5:40 AM, Maria Victoria Saumell <vicky.s@...
            > wrote:

            > Thanks Seth for your prompt answer.
            >
            > My dilemma is... I would very much like to show the actual webpages
            > and applications to show how they work. Powerpoint would only let me
            > include screenshots, wouldn't it?
            >
            > Maybe I should have both options ready and check which works better...
            >
            > Thanks again,
            > Vicky Saumell
            >
            > --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com<evonline2002_webheads%40yahoogroups.com>,
            > "Seth Dickens"
            >
            > <sethdickens@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I am guessing that Powerpoint is probably your best bet to put the
            > > presentation together. I don't like to rely solely on the internet if
            > > I am doing a presentation.
            > >
            > > If you'd prefer a free versions Open Office's "Impress" is a great
            > > presentation tool and it's free.
            > >

            > > Seth.

          • Elizabeth Hanson-Smith
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 3, 2008
              Hi Vicky--
              Carla has a good solution, since it will allow you to show the pages
              without the Internet, but you will have to save each page you want to
              show. Even with the Internet for your presentation, you will probably
              find there is a problem in loading password-protected pages, as your
              university may have firewalls that prevent your entering the pw.

              I did something similar to Carla's solution at a conference, and
              opened all the saved files in my Firefox toolbar as tabs, so I could
              see the titles as I linked to one after the other. It worked really well.

              Cheers--
              --Elizabeth

              --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Maria Victoria Saumell"

              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 8, 2008
                Dear Carla and Elizabeth,
                Thanks for the advice. It is exactly what I was hoping to do but did
                not quite know how to.

                The Firefox idea is brilliant and will help me keep my presentation
                organised.

                I'm speaking for the first time at a conference in Chile in April...
                I'll let you how it goes!

                Vicky Saumell

                --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Elizabeth Hanson-Smith"

                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 8, 2008
                  Great, Vicky! Do let us know how it goes.

                  See you around,

                  Besos,
                  Carla

                  http://collablogatorium.blogspot.com (new explorations!)