Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Spanish Online - thank you!

  • Michael Shade
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2008
      Michael,

      Are you posting the suggestions you have received online somewhere? Or
      if you prefer, you could email me the list and I'll put it up.

      Un saludo,

      MIchael

      On 29 Nov 2008, at 13:46, Michael Coghlan wrote:

      > Thanks to those people who promptly responded to my query about
      > learning Spanish online. I have forwarded your suggestions to my
      > colleague and I'll let you know which one she decided on.
      >
      > What a treasure trove of information this group is!
      >
      > - Michael

    • Michael Coghlan
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 2, 2008
        Michael S, Carla and everyone.

        Here is what people sent me about learning Spanish online.

        Carla - if you'd like to start a Webheads Diigo or Delicious account
        just go ahead and tell us all about it and see what evolves. I'm sure
        something will ;-)

        - Michael

        ----------

        LEARNING SPANISH ONLINE

        Graham Stanley

        Spanish proficiency exercises on video:
        <http://www.laits.utexas.edu/spe/siteindex.php>http://www.laits.utexas.edu/spe/siteindex.php
        and again from Twitter, here's a student of Spanish who blogs/twitters about
        his learning: <http://www.spanish-only.com/>http://www.spanish-only.com/

        Gavin Dudeney

        Try www.netlanguages.com

        Jane Petring

        Another wonderful resource for learning Spanish is Notes in Spanish:
        <http://www.notesinspanish.com/>http://www.notesinspanish.com/ What
        started out as a fundraiser for
        a good cause through a series of podcasts back in 2006, has
        developed into an online Spanish language school for Ben and Maria,
        the British/Spanish couple that started it.

        Johanna Stirling

        Have you looked at the BBC Spanish courses and resources? Some great
        stuff here:
        <http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/spanish/>http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/spanish/

        Elizabeth HS

        I am really enjoying
        Babbel.com.(<http://www.babbel.com/>http://www.babbel.com/)

        There are sets of typical exercises, but done in a more imaginative
        way than the usual drill-and-grill. Also, when you enter the site
        there are short movies with a brief writing assignment. You write in
        Spanish and send it to "Community" or "Friends" (once you get some).
        They correct your Spanish, and you correct their English version in
        tandem learning. I have since starting acquired about a half dozen
        friends who correspond with me at the level I am capable of. It's
        really Community Language Learning. So after studying the
        Introductions exercises, I wrote a letter of introduction to send to
        my Spanish-speaking Friends list.

        Also Babbel has just added a chat function to have live meetings with
        Friends--I haven't set one up yet, as I've been traveling. And one of
        the people on my Friends list has requested a Skype conference. So
        it's fun and very encouraging. You can start with beginning lessons or
        select intermediate or advanced. I think it is already helping my
        facility in the language. It is motivating to see what Friends are doing.

        Carla Arena

        I'd recommend Live Mocha. <http://www.livemocha.com/>http://www.livemocha.com/
        Haven't been there in a while, but all this
        conversation has gotten me excited again to practice Spanish!

        Nik Peachey

        If you are looking to learn with a real online tutor you could
        explore <http://speakshop.com/>http://speakshop.com/

        Most of the tutors are based in South America and the project is set
        up inder a kind of 'fair trade ' model. The site acts as an agency
        that trains and helps to equip teachers in poorer countries so that
        they can earn money online internationally. You can find out a bit
        more about the project here:
        <http://speakshop.com/06_aboutus>http://speakshop.com/06_aboutus
        And the tutors here:
        <http://speakshop.com/02_tutors>http://speakshop.com/02_tutors

        Nelba

        Join
        <http://ar.groups.yahoo.com/group/idioma-espagnol/>http://ar.groups.yahoo.com/group/idioma-espagnol/
        There are some interesting LINKS to practise the language.

        Nelba is also organizing free Spanish sessions in Second Life.

      • Carla arena
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 4, 2008
          Michael,

          You suggested and here it goes, our Diigo group.

          http://groups.diigo.com/groups/webheads

          Now, waiting for you all there! I've already added all the links you
          compiled here for Spanish practice.

          For the ones who are not sure how Diigo works, please let us know and I
          could help you out. Also,
          early this year in the learningwithcomputers group we had a 4-week session
          on Diigo and you can take a look at all the resources at
          http://learningwithcomputers07.pbwiki.com/online_bookmarking

          Let the Webheads start digging!

          Beijos,
          Carla