Spanish Online - thank you!

  • Michael Coghlan
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 29, 2008
      Thanks to those people who promptly responded to my query about
      learning Spanish online. I have forwarded your suggestions to my
      colleague and I'll let you know which one she decided on.

      What a treasure trove of information this group is!

      - Michael
    • Michael Shade
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2008
        Michael,

        Are you posting the suggestions you have received online somewhere? Or
        if you prefer, you could email me the list and I'll put it up.

        Un saludo,

        MIchael

        On 29 Nov 2008, at 13:46, Michael Coghlan wrote:

        > Thanks to those people who promptly responded to my query about
        > learning Spanish online. I have forwarded your suggestions to my
        > colleague and I'll let you know which one she decided on.
        >
        > What a treasure trove of information this group is!
        >
        > - Michael

      • Michael Coghlan
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 2, 2008
          Michael S, Carla and everyone.

          Here is what people sent me about learning Spanish online.

          Carla - if you'd like to start a Webheads Diigo or Delicious account
          just go ahead and tell us all about it and see what evolves. I'm sure
          something will ;-)

          - Michael

          ----------

          LEARNING SPANISH ONLINE

          Graham Stanley

          Spanish proficiency exercises on video:
          <http://www.laits.utexas.edu/spe/siteindex.php>http://www.laits.utexas.edu/spe/siteindex.php
          and again from Twitter, here's a student of Spanish who blogs/twitters about
          his learning: <http://www.spanish-only.com/>http://www.spanish-only.com/

          Gavin Dudeney

          Try www.netlanguages.com

          Jane Petring

          Another wonderful resource for learning Spanish is Notes in Spanish:
          <http://www.notesinspanish.com/>http://www.notesinspanish.com/ What
          started out as a fundraiser for
          a good cause through a series of podcasts back in 2006, has
          developed into an online Spanish language school for Ben and Maria,
          the British/Spanish couple that started it.

          Johanna Stirling

          Have you looked at the BBC Spanish courses and resources? Some great
          stuff here:
          <http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/spanish/>http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/spanish/

          Elizabeth HS

          I am really enjoying
          Babbel.com.(<http://www.babbel.com/>http://www.babbel.com/)

          There are sets of typical exercises, but done in a more imaginative
          way than the usual drill-and-grill. Also, when you enter the site
          there are short movies with a brief writing assignment. You write in
          Spanish and send it to "Community" or "Friends" (once you get some).
          They correct your Spanish, and you correct their English version in
          tandem learning. I have since starting acquired about a half dozen
          friends who correspond with me at the level I am capable of. It's
          really Community Language Learning. So after studying the
          Introductions exercises, I wrote a letter of introduction to send to
          my Spanish-speaking Friends list.

          Also Babbel has just added a chat function to have live meetings with
          Friends--I haven't set one up yet, as I've been traveling. And one of
          the people on my Friends list has requested a Skype conference. So
          it's fun and very encouraging. You can start with beginning lessons or
          select intermediate or advanced. I think it is already helping my
          facility in the language. It is motivating to see what Friends are doing.

          Carla Arena

          I'd recommend Live Mocha. <http://www.livemocha.com/>http://www.livemocha.com/
          Haven't been there in a while, but all this
          conversation has gotten me excited again to practice Spanish!

          Nik Peachey

          If you are looking to learn with a real online tutor you could
          explore <http://speakshop.com/>http://speakshop.com/

          Most of the tutors are based in South America and the project is set
          up inder a kind of 'fair trade ' model. The site acts as an agency
          that trains and helps to equip teachers in poorer countries so that
          they can earn money online internationally. You can find out a bit
          more about the project here:
          <http://speakshop.com/06_aboutus>http://speakshop.com/06_aboutus
          And the tutors here:
          <http://speakshop.com/02_tutors>http://speakshop.com/02_tutors

          Nelba

          Join
          <http://ar.groups.yahoo.com/group/idioma-espagnol/>http://ar.groups.yahoo.com/group/idioma-espagnol/
          There are some interesting LINKS to practise the language.

          Nelba is also organizing free Spanish sessions in Second Life.

        • Carla arena
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 4, 2008
            Michael,

            You suggested and here it goes, our Diigo group.

            http://groups.diigo.com/groups/webheads

            Now, waiting for you all there! I've already added all the links you
            compiled here for Spanish practice.

            For the ones who are not sure how Diigo works, please let us know and I
            could help you out. Also,
            early this year in the learningwithcomputers group we had a 4-week session
            on Diigo and you can take a look at all the resources at
            http://learningwithcomputers07.pbwiki.com/online_bookmarking

            Let the Webheads start digging!

            Beijos,
            Carla