Obama's Speech with Spanish, French subtitles

  • robertisquires
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 6, 2008
      Some of you may have caught the Chicago speech the other night, but
      it's a historical moment to share:
      http://sillyurl.com/axed-yams-sap-shy-pugs

      Best,

      Robert
    • Michael Shade
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 7, 2008
        Compañeros,

        Robert - thanks for this - I had seen folks talking about dotsub here,
        but had never looked at it myself.

        A student in my Advanced Spanish class on Wednesday evening pointed us
        to this version on El País: http://www.elpais.com/videos/

        [At the moment it's at the top of the page, by the time you see this
        they may have moved it to the archive, which they only seem to
        maintain for a month.]

        It's the whole speech as broadcast by CNN Spanish service, with a
        simultaneous interpretation in Spanish which is an absolute tour de
        force (as we say in English). The speech, and the interpretation, had
        us all in tears of joy - and that doesn't happen often in my classes!

        "¡Hola Chicago! Si hay alguien por ahí . . . . "

        I'd love to make it available for students - and colleagues - but El
        Pais don't seem to offer embedding code, or even a permanent url. So
        I've made a screen copy using SnapzPro (Mac), so as not to lose it. I
        haven't yet chased it up on CNN.

        There are other versions in Spanish on YouTube, but none as good as
        this one.

        Un saludo a todos,

        Michael