Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Congratulations USA!

  • Aiden Yeh
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 4, 2008
      I second Evelyn's comments. I've been watching CNN since this morning- very emotional turn out for Obama. It's really history in the making.

      aiden

      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 4, 2008
        Hurray!
        just woke up to great news! I'm celebrating with you all.
        Times...they are a-changing my friends.
        I am happy. I have hope in better days for the USA and the world.

        Beijinhos
        cris

        Cris Costa
        Site: www.knowmansland.com
        Blog: http://knowmansland.com/learningpath
        Twitter: cristinacost
        Skype: navysternchen

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 4, 2008
          Obama's victory is good news for us here in Europe, too.

          Let's all wish ourselves a brighter political future.

          Dennis aka Denos, aka Osnacantab

        • Rita Zeinstejer
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 5, 2008
            Democracy, freedom, hope, change --have all won, for a better world to
            live in!!!
            My toast to a new era,

            Rita

            --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Newson"

            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 5, 2008
              Dear friends,

              Wooooooow!!!!!! I'm so happy! :-)))

              Kudos to America and Americans! And to the world!

              I feel much more hope for the world today!

              Yesterday evening I had a "crazy" idea, as my students would say. I asked Pedro, my elder son, to take a photo of me and my cast, and then I sent an iReport to CNN with a short message wishing Sen. Obama "break a leg". Here's the result.
              http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-136607

              Hugs and beijinhos, Teresa

              Hurray!
              just woke up to great news! I'm celebrating with you all.
              Times...they are a-changing my friends.
              I am happy. I have hope in better days for the USA and the world.

              Beijinhos
              cris

              Dear American Webheads,
              Congratulations for your democratic feast!!! You've made the change!!! You definitively can.
              Many people around the world, especially those from poor and developing countries trust you. I wish you the best. God bless you all.
              Evelyn from Caracas, Venezuela

            • sharonbetts
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 5, 2008
                Thank you all for your warm thoughts. I wake this morning with a much
                lighter heart and actual hope for the future. It is going to be a long
                haul for the US, but perhaps we will be able to now make progress. I am
                so pleased,
                Sharon
              • Anthony Green
                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 5, 2008
                  Hello everyone

                  I stayed up most of the night sharing in the excitement of the changes
                  taking place in the USA.
                  I was also very impressed by John McCain's honourable speech in defeat.

                  As my contribution, I've made a gift for all of the Webheads involved in
                  English as a Second / Foreign Language using a recording of Barack Obama's
                  voice:

                  If you have any students who would like to be able to follow Barack Obama
                  live, but are frustrated because their listening skills in English are not
                  quite up to it, please get them to try out the interactive listening
                  application below:

                  Download and install the VOICEbook of Barack Obama's great acceptance speech
                  at this year's Democratic Convention
                  http://www.voicebook.com/download/vbplayer/obama_setup.exe

                  The students' task is to recreate the words that they think Obama said, with
                  various levels of help when they are not able to do so.

                  You can also see the excerpt on youtube at
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfNKa5TiYfI

                  Please let me know your impressions and whether you are happy with the
                  result (of the elections and of your improved English!)

                  Anthony

                • tutormentor2@earthlink.net
                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 5, 2008
                    I want to give a special appreciation to Anthony for using technology to
                    share the US election excitement with others around the world. I think
                    that the Webheads group has always been about technology, sharing and
                    teamwork, and this is just one other example.

                    I've posted messages here for several years, and thus you know of my
                    passion for maps. For any of you who watched live coverage on Fox or some
                    of the other channels, did you see how interactive the maps were that they
                    were using to provide information on the demographics and voting patterns
                    of different states.

                    I'm sure the technology behind this was a Geographic Information System
                    (GIS) of some sort. What I want to inspire you to think of is how members
                    of Webheads can share their own knowledge of visualization and GIS
                    technology with a goal of making similar systems available to each of you
                    for use in classrooms and social benefit activities in the US and
                    throughout the world.

                    I wrote about this on my http://tutormentor.blogspot.com blog so others can
                    see this thinking.

                    My dream is that in spring 2009 I'll see a TV briefing led by President
                    Obama, where he is using a GIS system, pointing out poverty throughout the
                    US and the world. With such a map he would point and click, and zoom in on
                    different countries, states, cities and neighborhoods, to show the gaps
                    between rich and poor, and the places where volunteers are needed to give
                    time, talent and dollars (lots of dollars) to close those gaps. At
                    http://mappingforjustice.blogspot.com you can see some non-animated map
                    reports. Imagine if these were presented using the types of technology
                    shown on TV election coverage, and instead of a TV commentator, it was the
                    President of the US, or of some other country.

                    A GIS can map almost anything. Thus, it could map health issues, or
                    environmental issues, or water issues. It could map land mine locations, or
                    animal sanctuaries. That's been possible for a long time.

                    What I hope will happen is that leaders begin to use interactive maps, TV,
                    and the Internet, to connect people, businesses, colleges in more affluent
                    parts of the country, and the world, to those places around the world where
                    help is needed, and to the organizations already operating in those places
                    who seek reinforcements for work some of them have been doing for dozens of
                    years, but with too little attention, and too few resources.

                    If the president and other leaders, including youth, adopts this technology
                    into his leadership it can be a big step toward making the hope of this
                    election become more of a reality.

                    Dan Bassill
                    Tutor/Mentor Connection
                    Cabrini Connections
                    800 W. Huron
                    Chicago, Il. 60642

                  • John Hibbs
                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 5, 2008
                      Fabulous, Teresa. Fabulous. Thanks to all those Webheads who shared
                      my own particular joy.

                      Note: I am /not/ snipping as I want to blind copy people who would
                      be interested in iReport and people interested in how you are faring
                      in bed and people of the Obama cast of mind.

                      John Hibbs

                      At 10:19 AM +0000 11/5/08, Teresa Almeida d'Eca wrote:
                      >Dear friends,
                      >
                      >Wooooooow!!!!!! I'm so happy! :-)))
                      >
                      >Kudos to America and Americans! And to the world!
                      >
                      >I feel much more hope for the world today!
                      >
                      >Yesterday evening I had a "crazy" idea, as my students would say. I
                      >asked Pedro, my elder son, to take a photo of me and my cast, and
                      >then I sent an iReport to CNN with a short message wishing Sen.
                      >Obama "break a leg". Here's the result.
                      >http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-136607
                      >
                      >Hugs and beijinhos, Teresa
                      >

                      >Hurray!
                      >just woke up to great news! I'm celebrating with you all.
                      >Times...they are a-changing my friends.
                      >I am happy. I have hope in better days for the USA and the world.
                      >
                      >Beijinhos
                      >cris
                      >

                      >Dear American Webheads,
                      >Congratulations for your democratic feast!!! You've made the
                      >change!!! You definitively can.
                      >Many people around the world, especially those from poor and
                      >developing countries trust you. I wish you the best. God bless you
                      >all.
                      >Evelyn from Caracas, Venezuela
                    • Barbara Dieu
                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 5, 2008
                        Cheers to the people who woke up, acted and made their voices heard.
                        The scenario Obama faces presently is bleak but he is young,
                        determined, energetic and represents not only the hope of a country
                        but of many who see in him a promise for change. Let's wish him
                        strenght, luck and clarity to accomplish the goals he has set before
                        him.
                        Warm regards from Brazil,
                        Bee

                        --
                        Barbara Dieu
                        http://dekita.org
                        Message 11 of 20 , Nov 5, 2008
                          I'm still recovering from our election party last night! Champagne
                          flowed and there were many a teary eye. I am so happy it was a true
                          landslide and the turnout was immense.

                          There have been a number of articles on how the Internet changed this
                          election--not just money-raising, but starting and counteracting
                          rumours, getting out the voters, etc. My sister-in-law worked as a
                          campaigner beginning with a trip to snowy Iowa to the caucuses last
                          January, and she got an email from O this morning thanking her for her
                          support. Pretty neat.

                          Let's hope we don't pin too many hopes too fast on this bright young
                          guy. Starting and stopping this country's direction is like
                          manoeuvering a space station--lots of inertia to push around.

                          Let's hope the world gets smaller and closer again.

                          And hope you are feeling better, Tere--what a cute idea to send that pix.

                          Cheers--
                          --Elizabeth

                          --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Teresa Almeida d'Eca"
                          <tmvaz@...> wrote:

                          > Dear friends,
                          >
                          > Wooooooow!!!!!! I'm so happy! :-)))
                          >
                          > Kudos to America and Americans! And to the world!
                          >
                          > I feel much more hope for the world today!
                          >
                          > Yesterday evening I had a "crazy" idea, as my students would say. I
                          asked Pedro, my elder son, to take a photo of me and my cast, and then
                          I sent an iReport to CNN with a short message wishing Sen. Obama
                          "break a leg". Here's the result.
                          > http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-136607
                          >
                          > Hugs and beijinhos, Teresa
                          >

                          > Hurray!
                          > just woke up to great news! I'm celebrating with you all.
                          > Times...they are a-changing my friends.
                          > I am happy. I have hope in better days for the USA and the world.
                          >
                          > Beijinhos
                          > cris
                          >

                          > Dear American Webheads,
                          > Congratulations for your democratic feast!!! You've made the
                          change!!! You definitively can.
                          > Many people around the world, especially those from poor and
                          developing countries trust you. I wish you the best. God bless you all.
                          > Evelyn from Caracas, Venezuela

                        • William Collins
                          Message 12 of 20 , Nov 5, 2008
                            Thank you to all Webheads who posted congratulations messages. I'm so thrilled! Amazing night! Obama won a big victory and I think he will be in a strong position to make the changes in economic and foreign policy to restore my country's standing in the world.

                            Thanks also to Anthony Green for the great teaching idea. I'll try it out with my advanced class.

                            Message 13 of 20 , Nov 6, 2008
                              When I first connected with Webheads Vance Stevens hosted an on-line event
                              showing how elearning resulted in more students being engaged with the
                              learning process, as opposed to traditional lecture-based teaching, where
                              many students were completely unfocused.

                              I feel this is critically important. While knowledge is exploding, it has no
                              value if only a few learners are finding it and using it. Thus, it would
                              seem very important to find research or discussions that show effective
                              strategies for engaging students (of all ages) in on-line learning.

                              Can any of you point to a few web sites that provide articles about this?

                              Dan Bassill
                              Tutor/Mentor Connection
                              Cabrini Connections
                              Chicago
                            • John Hibbs
                              Message 14 of 20 , Nov 6, 2008
                                I want to sincerely thank and acknowledge the many "congratulations"
                                that came my way from those outside of the USA. Collectively, I
                                believe non-USA citizens have as much stake in the policies of the
                                United States as do its citizens...and not just by way of it foreign
                                policies. The size of the American ship is so large that when it
                                suffers holes in the vessel, all boats everywhere are affected.

                                I made thousands of calls on behalf of Obama almost always centered
                                on trying to paint the picture of what the public's reaction to the
                                front page headline that an African-American was now the American
                                president-elect. Like every single one of you, his race was not a
                                factor of why I liked him so much; as I told Teresa in Lisbon this
                                man is elegant, brilliant, steely and could well be a
                                transformational person on a scale with Mandella, Havel, Martin King.
                                But the color of his skin, and his amazing life narrative should make
                                obvious that America IS indeed an amazing country...where "anyone"
                                can become president.

                                I don't think of myself as particularly jingoistic -- in fact I
                                cringe when I hear the chant USA Number One, USA Number One -- but I
                                today I am proud of my fellow countrymen who got it exactly right.
                                About eight million more voted for Obama than McCain -- which is a
                                big number considerinig how wide and how sharp are the divides
                                between the two major parties.

                                Anyway, I have digressed far too long. Again, thank you for your
                                observations and your applause.
                                John Hibbs
                                At the Home of the Ducks
                                Eugene, Oregon, USA

                                At 5:40 PM -0200 11/5/08, Barbara Dieu wrote:
                                >Cheers to the people who woke up, acted and made their voices heard.
                              • Michael Marzio
                                Message 15 of 20 , Nov 7, 2008
                                  At first, I was hesitant about expressing my extreme joy. I thought
                                  it might be important to avoid political matters in respect of
                                  Webheads with different politics, but this thread is already 16
                                  messages long thanks to citizens of other countries, John of the very
                                  cool state of Oregon, and American expatriates like myself, and I'm
                                  so glad to have confirmation that nothing which truly helps bind us
                                  as a community is taboo here.

                                  I think we can say this goes beyond politics. After 8 years in hell,
                                  I can finally say that I'm proud to be an American.

                                  We will be disappointed at times in the near future, but man oh man,
                                  we're finally on the right track.

                                  Mike
                                  with a huge American flag hanging from the balcony of the our School
                                  in the south of France.

                                  --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, John Hibbs

                                • michaelc@chariot.net.au
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Nov 7, 2008
                                    For a few weeks at least John you can rightfully feel proud! Thanks for
                                    sharing this with us. (And I feel a similar level of cringe when
                                    Australians en masse at public events start trumpeting their country's
                                    greatness.)

                                    - Michael

                                    ----------------------

                                    Quoting John Hibbs <skipper@...>:

                                    > I want to sincerely thank and acknowledge the many "congratulations"
                                    >
                                    > that came my way from those outside of the USA. Collectively, I
                                    > believe non-USA citizens have as much stake in the policies of the
                                    > United States as do its citizens...and not just by way of it foreign
                                    >
                                    > policies. The size of the American ship is so large that when it
                                    > suffers holes in the vessel, all boats everywhere are affected.
                                    >
                                    > I made thousands of calls on behalf of Obama almost always centered
                                    > on trying to paint the picture of what the public's reaction to the
                                    > front page headline that an African-American was now the American
                                    > president-elect. Like every single one of you, his race was not a
                                    > factor of why I liked him so much; as I told Teresa in Lisbon this
                                    > man is elegant, brilliant, steely and could well be a
                                    > transformational person on a scale with Mandella, Havel, Martin King.
                                    >
                                    > But the color of his skin, and his amazing life narrative should make
                                    >
                                    > obvious that America IS indeed an amazing country...where "anyone"
                                    > can become president.
                                    >
                                    > I don't think of myself as particularly jingoistic -- in fact I
                                    > cringe when I hear the chant USA Number One, USA Number One -- but I
                                    >
                                    > today I am proud of my fellow countrymen who got it exactly right.
                                    > About eight million more voted for Obama than McCain -- which is a
                                    > big number considerinig how wide and how sharp are the divides
                                    > between the two major parties.
                                    >
                                    > Anyway, I have digressed far too long. Again, thank you for your
                                    > observations and your applause.
                                    > John Hibbs
                                    > At the Home of the Ducks
                                    > Eugene, Oregon, USA
                                    >
                                    > At 5:40 PM -0200 11/5/08, Barbara Dieu wrote:
                                    > >Cheers to the people who woke up, acted and made their voices
                                    > heard.

                                  • Jane Petring
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Nov 7, 2008
                                      I read in today's paper a quote from the early 1900's said by a former
                                      slave who became a preacher. The quote was later used in Martin Luther
                                      King's speech in Hawaii just before Obama was born. It seems
                                      appropriate now:

                                      We ain't what we wanna be, we ain't what we oughta be, we ain't what we
                                      gonna be, but thank God, we ain't what we was!

                                      Try teaching that one!

                                      Lots of audaciously hopeful hugs,

                                      Jane
                                    • Michael Marzio
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Nov 7, 2008
                                        God, that's brilliant, Jane. We sure ain't what we was.

                                        > We ain't what we wanna be, we ain't what we oughta be,
                                        > we ain't what we gonna be, but thank God, we ain't
                                        > what we was!
                                        >
                                        > Try teaching that one!
                                        >
                                        > Lots of audaciously hopeful hugs,
                                        >
                                        > Jane
                                      • Michael Marzio
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Nov 7, 2008
                                          Sorry I'm bombarding you all,

                                          But right after replying to Jane about MLK's use of what the slave
                                          said in one of his speeches, I discovered a very funny video making
                                          fun of myself and all you other Obamaniacs:

                                          Don't miss this clip:
                                          http://tinyurl.com/56qhzr

                                          Mike

                                          --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Jane Petring"