Congratulations USA!

  • Evelyn Izquierdo
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 4, 2008
      Dear American Webheads,

      Congratulations for your democratic feast!!! You've made the change!!! You definitively can.
      Many people around the world, especially those from poor and developing countries trust you. I wish you the best. God bless you all.

      Evelyn from Caracas, Venezuela

    • Aiden Yeh
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 4, 2008
        I second Evelyn's comments. I've been watching CNN since this morning- very emotional turn out for Obama. It's really history in the making.

        aiden

        Congratulations for your democratic feast!!! You've made the change!!! You definitively can.
        Many people around the world, especially those from poor and developing countries trust you. I wish you the best. God bless you all.

        Evelyn from Caracas, Venezuela

        Premios MTV 2008¡En exclusiva! Fotos, nominados, videos, y mucho más! Mira aquí http://mtvla. yahoo.com/

      • cristina costa
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 4, 2008
          Hurray!
          just woke up to great news! I'm celebrating with you all.
          Times...they are a-changing my friends.
          I am happy. I have hope in better days for the USA and the world.

          Beijinhos
          cris

          Cris Costa
          Site: www.knowmansland.com
          Blog: http://knowmansland.com/learningpath
          Twitter: cristinacost
          Skype: navysternchen

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 4, 2008
            Obama's victory is good news for us here in Europe, too.

            Let's all wish ourselves a brighter political future.

            Dennis aka Denos, aka Osnacantab

          • Rita Zeinstejer
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 5, 2008
              Democracy, freedom, hope, change --have all won, for a better world to
              live in!!!
              My toast to a new era,

              Rita

              --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Newson"

              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 5, 2008
                Dear friends,

                Wooooooow!!!!!! I'm so happy! :-)))

                Kudos to America and Americans! And to the world!

                I feel much more hope for the world today!

                Yesterday evening I had a "crazy" idea, as my students would say. I asked Pedro, my elder son, to take a photo of me and my cast, and then I sent an iReport to CNN with a short message wishing Sen. Obama "break a leg". Here's the result.
                http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-136607

                Hugs and beijinhos, Teresa

                Hurray!
                just woke up to great news! I'm celebrating with you all.
                Times...they are a-changing my friends.
                I am happy. I have hope in better days for the USA and the world.

                Beijinhos
                cris

                Dear American Webheads,
                Congratulations for your democratic feast!!! You've made the change!!! You definitively can.
                Many people around the world, especially those from poor and developing countries trust you. I wish you the best. God bless you all.
                Evelyn from Caracas, Venezuela

              • sharonbetts
                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 5, 2008
                  Thank you all for your warm thoughts. I wake this morning with a much
                  lighter heart and actual hope for the future. It is going to be a long
                  haul for the US, but perhaps we will be able to now make progress. I am
                  so pleased,
                  Sharon
                • Anthony Green
                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 5, 2008
                    Hello everyone

                    I stayed up most of the night sharing in the excitement of the changes
                    taking place in the USA.
                    I was also very impressed by John McCain's honourable speech in defeat.

                    As my contribution, I've made a gift for all of the Webheads involved in
                    English as a Second / Foreign Language using a recording of Barack Obama's
                    voice:

                    If you have any students who would like to be able to follow Barack Obama
                    live, but are frustrated because their listening skills in English are not
                    quite up to it, please get them to try out the interactive listening
                    application below:

                    Download and install the VOICEbook of Barack Obama's great acceptance speech
                    at this year's Democratic Convention
                    http://www.voicebook.com/download/vbplayer/obama_setup.exe

                    The students' task is to recreate the words that they think Obama said, with
                    various levels of help when they are not able to do so.

                    You can also see the excerpt on youtube at
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfNKa5TiYfI

                    Please let me know your impressions and whether you are happy with the
                    result (of the elections and of your improved English!)

                    Anthony

                  • tutormentor2@earthlink.net
                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 5, 2008
                      I want to give a special appreciation to Anthony for using technology to
                      share the US election excitement with others around the world. I think
                      that the Webheads group has always been about technology, sharing and
                      teamwork, and this is just one other example.

                      I've posted messages here for several years, and thus you know of my
                      passion for maps. For any of you who watched live coverage on Fox or some
                      of the other channels, did you see how interactive the maps were that they
                      were using to provide information on the demographics and voting patterns
                      of different states.

                      I'm sure the technology behind this was a Geographic Information System
                      (GIS) of some sort. What I want to inspire you to think of is how members
                      of Webheads can share their own knowledge of visualization and GIS
                      technology with a goal of making similar systems available to each of you
                      for use in classrooms and social benefit activities in the US and
                      throughout the world.

                      I wrote about this on my http://tutormentor.blogspot.com blog so others can
                      see this thinking.

                      My dream is that in spring 2009 I'll see a TV briefing led by President
                      Obama, where he is using a GIS system, pointing out poverty throughout the
                      US and the world. With such a map he would point and click, and zoom in on
                      different countries, states, cities and neighborhoods, to show the gaps
                      between rich and poor, and the places where volunteers are needed to give
                      time, talent and dollars (lots of dollars) to close those gaps. At
                      http://mappingforjustice.blogspot.com you can see some non-animated map
                      reports. Imagine if these were presented using the types of technology
                      shown on TV election coverage, and instead of a TV commentator, it was the
                      President of the US, or of some other country.

                      A GIS can map almost anything. Thus, it could map health issues, or
                      environmental issues, or water issues. It could map land mine locations, or
                      animal sanctuaries. That's been possible for a long time.

                      What I hope will happen is that leaders begin to use interactive maps, TV,
                      and the Internet, to connect people, businesses, colleges in more affluent
                      parts of the country, and the world, to those places around the world where
                      help is needed, and to the organizations already operating in those places
                      who seek reinforcements for work some of them have been doing for dozens of
                      years, but with too little attention, and too few resources.

                      If the president and other leaders, including youth, adopts this technology
                      into his leadership it can be a big step toward making the hope of this
                      election become more of a reality.

                      Dan Bassill
                      Tutor/Mentor Connection
                      Cabrini Connections
                      800 W. Huron
                      Chicago, Il. 60642

                    • John Hibbs
                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 5, 2008
                        Fabulous, Teresa. Fabulous. Thanks to all those Webheads who shared
                        my own particular joy.

                        Note: I am /not/ snipping as I want to blind copy people who would
                        be interested in iReport and people interested in how you are faring
                        in bed and people of the Obama cast of mind.

                        John Hibbs

                        At 10:19 AM +0000 11/5/08, Teresa Almeida d'Eca wrote:
                        >Dear friends,
                        >
                        >Wooooooow!!!!!! I'm so happy! :-)))
                        >
                        >Kudos to America and Americans! And to the world!
                        >
                        >I feel much more hope for the world today!
                        >
                        >Yesterday evening I had a "crazy" idea, as my students would say. I
                        >asked Pedro, my elder son, to take a photo of me and my cast, and
                        >then I sent an iReport to CNN with a short message wishing Sen.
                        >Obama "break a leg". Here's the result.
                        >http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-136607
                        >
                        >Hugs and beijinhos, Teresa
                        >

                        >Hurray!
                        >just woke up to great news! I'm celebrating with you all.
                        >Times...they are a-changing my friends.
                        >I am happy. I have hope in better days for the USA and the world.
                        >
                        >Beijinhos
                        >cris
                        >

                        >Dear American Webheads,
                        >Congratulations for your democratic feast!!! You've made the
                        >change!!! You definitively can.
                        >Many people around the world, especially those from poor and
                        >developing countries trust you. I wish you the best. God bless you
                        >all.
                        >Evelyn from Caracas, Venezuela
                      • Barbara Dieu
                        Message 11 of 20 , Nov 5, 2008
                          Cheers to the people who woke up, acted and made their voices heard.
                          The scenario Obama faces presently is bleak but he is young,
                          determined, energetic and represents not only the hope of a country
                          but of many who see in him a promise for change. Let's wish him
                          strenght, luck and clarity to accomplish the goals he has set before
                          him.
                          Warm regards from Brazil,
                          Bee

                          --
                          Barbara Dieu
                          http://dekita.org
                          Message 12 of 20 , Nov 5, 2008
                            I'm still recovering from our election party last night! Champagne
                            flowed and there were many a teary eye. I am so happy it was a true
                            landslide and the turnout was immense.

                            There have been a number of articles on how the Internet changed this
                            election--not just money-raising, but starting and counteracting
                            rumours, getting out the voters, etc. My sister-in-law worked as a
                            campaigner beginning with a trip to snowy Iowa to the caucuses last
                            January, and she got an email from O this morning thanking her for her
                            support. Pretty neat.

                            Let's hope we don't pin too many hopes too fast on this bright young
                            guy. Starting and stopping this country's direction is like
                            manoeuvering a space station--lots of inertia to push around.

                            Let's hope the world gets smaller and closer again.

                            And hope you are feeling better, Tere--what a cute idea to send that pix.

                            Cheers--
                            --Elizabeth

                            --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Teresa Almeida d'Eca"
                            <tmvaz@...> wrote:

                            > Dear friends,
                            >
                            > Wooooooow!!!!!! I'm so happy! :-)))
                            >
                            > Kudos to America and Americans! And to the world!
                            >
                            > I feel much more hope for the world today!
                            >
                            > Yesterday evening I had a "crazy" idea, as my students would say. I
                            asked Pedro, my elder son, to take a photo of me and my cast, and then
                            I sent an iReport to CNN with a short message wishing Sen. Obama
                            "break a leg". Here's the result.
                            > http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-136607
                            >
                            > Hugs and beijinhos, Teresa
                            >

                            > Hurray!
                            > just woke up to great news! I'm celebrating with you all.
                            > Times...they are a-changing my friends.
                            > I am happy. I have hope in better days for the USA and the world.
                            >
                            > Beijinhos
                            > cris
                            >

                            > Dear American Webheads,
                            > Congratulations for your democratic feast!!! You've made the
                            change!!! You definitively can.
                            > Many people around the world, especially those from poor and
                            developing countries trust you. I wish you the best. God bless you all.
                            > Evelyn from Caracas, Venezuela

                          • William Collins
                            Message 13 of 20 , Nov 5, 2008
                              Thank you to all Webheads who posted congratulations messages. I'm so thrilled! Amazing night! Obama won a big victory and I think he will be in a strong position to make the changes in economic and foreign policy to restore my country's standing in the world.

                              Thanks also to Anthony Green for the great teaching idea. I'll try it out with my advanced class.

                              Message 14 of 20 , Nov 6, 2008
                                When I first connected with Webheads Vance Stevens hosted an on-line event
                                showing how elearning resulted in more students being engaged with the
                                learning process, as opposed to traditional lecture-based teaching, where
                                many students were completely unfocused.

                                I feel this is critically important. While knowledge is exploding, it has no
                                value if only a few learners are finding it and using it. Thus, it would
                                seem very important to find research or discussions that show effective
                                strategies for engaging students (of all ages) in on-line learning.

                                Can any of you point to a few web sites that provide articles about this?

                                Dan Bassill
                                Tutor/Mentor Connection
                                Cabrini Connections
                                Chicago
                              • John Hibbs
                                Message 15 of 20 , Nov 6, 2008
                                  I want to sincerely thank and acknowledge the many "congratulations"
                                  that came my way from those outside of the USA. Collectively, I
                                  believe non-USA citizens have as much stake in the policies of the
                                  United States as do its citizens...and not just by way of it foreign
                                  policies. The size of the American ship is so large that when it
                                  suffers holes in the vessel, all boats everywhere are affected.

                                  I made thousands of calls on behalf of Obama almost always centered
                                  on trying to paint the picture of what the public's reaction to the
                                  front page headline that an African-American was now the American
                                  president-elect. Like every single one of you, his race was not a
                                  factor of why I liked him so much; as I told Teresa in Lisbon this
                                  man is elegant, brilliant, steely and could well be a
                                  transformational person on a scale with Mandella, Havel, Martin King.
                                  But the color of his skin, and his amazing life narrative should make
                                  obvious that America IS indeed an amazing country...where "anyone"
                                  can become president.

                                  I don't think of myself as particularly jingoistic -- in fact I
                                  cringe when I hear the chant USA Number One, USA Number One -- but I
                                  today I am proud of my fellow countrymen who got it exactly right.
                                  About eight million more voted for Obama than McCain -- which is a
                                  big number considerinig how wide and how sharp are the divides
                                  between the two major parties.

                                  Anyway, I have digressed far too long. Again, thank you for your
                                  observations and your applause.
                                  John Hibbs
                                  At the Home of the Ducks
                                  Eugene, Oregon, USA

                                  At 5:40 PM -0200 11/5/08, Barbara Dieu wrote:
                                  >Cheers to the people who woke up, acted and made their voices heard.
                                • Michael Marzio
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Nov 7, 2008
                                    At first, I was hesitant about expressing my extreme joy. I thought
                                    it might be important to avoid political matters in respect of
                                    Webheads with different politics, but this thread is already 16
                                    messages long thanks to citizens of other countries, John of the very
                                    cool state of Oregon, and American expatriates like myself, and I'm
                                    so glad to have confirmation that nothing which truly helps bind us
                                    as a community is taboo here.

                                    I think we can say this goes beyond politics. After 8 years in hell,
                                    I can finally say that I'm proud to be an American.

                                    We will be disappointed at times in the near future, but man oh man,
                                    we're finally on the right track.

                                    Mike
                                    with a huge American flag hanging from the balcony of the our School
                                    in the south of France.

                                    --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, John Hibbs

                                  • michaelc@chariot.net.au
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Nov 7, 2008
                                      For a few weeks at least John you can rightfully feel proud! Thanks for
                                      sharing this with us. (And I feel a similar level of cringe when
                                      Australians en masse at public events start trumpeting their country's
                                      greatness.)

                                      - Michael

                                      ----------------------

                                      Quoting John Hibbs <skipper@...>:

                                      > I want to sincerely thank and acknowledge the many "congratulations"
                                      >
                                      > that came my way from those outside of the USA. Collectively, I
                                      > believe non-USA citizens have as much stake in the policies of the
                                      > United States as do its citizens...and not just by way of it foreign
                                      >
                                      > policies. The size of the American ship is so large that when it
                                      > suffers holes in the vessel, all boats everywhere are affected.
                                      >
                                      > I made thousands of calls on behalf of Obama almost always centered
                                      > on trying to paint the picture of what the public's reaction to the
                                      > front page headline that an African-American was now the American
                                      > president-elect. Like every single one of you, his race was not a
                                      > factor of why I liked him so much; as I told Teresa in Lisbon this
                                      > man is elegant, brilliant, steely and could well be a
                                      > transformational person on a scale with Mandella, Havel, Martin King.
                                      >
                                      > But the color of his skin, and his amazing life narrative should make
                                      >
                                      > obvious that America IS indeed an amazing country...where "anyone"
                                      > can become president.
                                      >
                                      > I don't think of myself as particularly jingoistic -- in fact I
                                      > cringe when I hear the chant USA Number One, USA Number One -- but I
                                      >
                                      > today I am proud of my fellow countrymen who got it exactly right.
                                      > About eight million more voted for Obama than McCain -- which is a
                                      > big number considerinig how wide and how sharp are the divides
                                      > between the two major parties.
                                      >
                                      > Anyway, I have digressed far too long. Again, thank you for your
                                      > observations and your applause.
                                      > John Hibbs
                                      > At the Home of the Ducks
                                      > Eugene, Oregon, USA
                                      >
                                      > At 5:40 PM -0200 11/5/08, Barbara Dieu wrote:
                                      > >Cheers to the people who woke up, acted and made their voices
                                      > heard.

                                    • Jane Petring
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Nov 7, 2008
                                        I read in today's paper a quote from the early 1900's said by a former
                                        slave who became a preacher. The quote was later used in Martin Luther
                                        King's speech in Hawaii just before Obama was born. It seems
                                        appropriate now:

                                        We ain't what we wanna be, we ain't what we oughta be, we ain't what we
                                        gonna be, but thank God, we ain't what we was!

                                        Try teaching that one!

                                        Lots of audaciously hopeful hugs,

                                        Jane
                                      • Michael Marzio
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Nov 7, 2008
                                          God, that's brilliant, Jane. We sure ain't what we was.

                                          > We ain't what we wanna be, we ain't what we oughta be,
                                          > we ain't what we gonna be, but thank God, we ain't
                                          > what we was!
                                          >
                                          > Try teaching that one!
                                          >
                                          > Lots of audaciously hopeful hugs,
                                          >
                                          > Jane
                                        • Michael Marzio
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Nov 7, 2008
                                            Sorry I'm bombarding you all,

                                            But right after replying to Jane about MLK's use of what the slave
                                            said in one of his speeches, I discovered a very funny video making
                                            fun of myself and all you other Obamaniacs:

                                            Don't miss this clip:
                                            http://tinyurl.com/56qhzr

                                            Mike

                                            --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Jane Petring"