Re: [evonline2002_webheads] A Story in Emoticons

  • Michael Coghlan
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 1, 2008
      Thanks for this Carla. I've been reading Txtng: The Gr8 Db8 by David
      Crystal and it's full of examples similar to this - lyrics, poetry,
      jokes, novels - the wonderful human mind doing weird things with a
      new language. (Well actually Crystal argues that it's not so new -
      that abbreviating words has been standard behaviour for centuries. eg
      PS PTO BYO AWOL etc :-)

      - Michael

      ----------

      At 09:14 AM 11/1/2008, you wrote:

      >I thought you might enjoy it.
      ><http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/rives_tells_a_story_of_mixed_emoticons.html>http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/rives_tells_a_story_of_mixed_emoticons.html
      >
      >Have a wonderful weekend!
      >
      >Carla
      ><http://explorations.bloxi.jp>http://explorations.bloxi.jp
      >http://brazilnaskeywest.wordpress.com

      >10/31/2008 4:10 PM

    • malilaprado
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 1, 2008
        Very nice video!!! Loved it!
        Tks for sharing!
        Malila

        De:evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com

        Para:evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, learningwithcomputers@yahoogroups.com

        Cópia:

        Data:Fri, 31 Oct 2008 18:44:45 -0400

        Assunto:[evonline2002_webheads] A Story in Emoticons

        I thought you might enjoy it.
        http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/rives_tells_a_story_of_mixed_emoticons.html

        Have a wonderful weekend!

        Carla
        http://explorations.bloxi.jp
        http://brazilnaskeywest.wordpress.com

        Esta mensagem foi verificada pelo E-mail Protegido Terra.
        Atualizado em 31/10/2008

      • Nelba
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 2, 2008
          Carla , this video shows that creativity does not have limits. Thanx 4 sharing :-)

          Nelba Quintana
          alias Nelba Aeon en Second Life
          http://englishvirtualcommunity.blogspot.comç

          Posted by: "Carla arena" carlaarena@...   carlaarena
          Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:44 pm (PDT)
          I thought you might enjoy it.
          http://www.ted. com/index. php/talks/ rives_tells_ a_story_of_ mixed_emoticons. html

          Have a wonderful weekend!

          Yahoo! Cocina
          Recetas prácticas y comida saludable
          http://ar.mujer.yahoo.com/cocina/

        • Carla arena
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 2, 2008
            I'm glad you liked it, guys. In fact, you're right. It's all about
            creativity and the possibilities human mind creates to communicate. Just
            amazing to consider it. Once I had a classroom assignment for my teens. They
            had to bring to class one of their text messages exchanges with friends to
            share in class. You can't imagine how much I learned and how much fun we
            had. They had to translate their texts to me. Just incredible experience and
            learning with them.

            Michael, thanks for sharing another book. I'll take a look!
            Carla Arena

            On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 7:35 AM, Nelba <nelbaq@...> wrote:

            > Carla , this video shows that creativity does not have limits. Thanx 4
            > sharing :-)
            >
            > Nelba Quintana
            > alias Nelba Aeon en Second Life
            > http://englishvirtualcommunity.blogspot.comç

          • serpil sonmez
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 2, 2008
              Carla, thanks for sharing the video & the info on iGoogle.  I loved how you used text messages in the classroom! -SMS messaging is something we all try to avoid in the classroom and you somehow turned it into a learning opportunity for your students! How creative! Cheers!
              Serpil