week 3 planning (Rita, Tere, Keiko & Sus)

  • s.nyrop@get2net.dk
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 25, 2002
      Dear Tere, Rita and Keiko

      Here are some comments for the abstract that Tere malied
      to us some days ago. It is very good, most of it, but as we
      still have quite a while, we are in no terrible hurry.

      1.Ttile: What online communication tools facilitate the
      interaction of participants in a community of practice?

      That is a very demanding title, I think we’re dealing with a
      more specific question, asking

      How can online communication tools be used to facilitate the
      interaction of participants in a community of practice in a
      virtual learning environment?

      2. Because, I wonder if we’re going to explore more than
      Yahoo groups,
      Yahoo Messenger,
      Tapped In, and maybe also introducing
      iVisit?

      I do remember in our EVON 2002 seminar, how a few very
      excited and devoted few scouts, actually did a lot of
      interesting time co-exploring several other tools, better keep
      it a little simpler, and not overwhealming possible newbies.
      I’m sure some of them felt it was far out. But I admit - it
      was great fun to meet new playmates in this ongoing
      research hobby of mine.

      3. Rita nd I did a visit to TI2 yesterday – we both liked ther
      new way of communicating, but I have still no news from
      contactus (the TI developers). Will ask again in a few days –
      they are all very busy with a project this week.

      Exchange of questions and answers, comments and critical
      review will happen as well in mail list as in chats. We might
      decide to take turns and cover the synch meeting places at
      certain hours.

      4. If you like I can set up a yahoogroup anytime, and make
      all of us administrators, just that I I would like to know what
      name you would prefer –
      I suggest < EVON03WIAweek3 > -We're all four the
      moderators, and may add folders, files, pix and links etc.
      Someone said that it is no good idea to add too much
      content from the very beginning; I do think that for a
      learning style like mine, I love that the principal material is
      already there so I can begin early on, and compare to what I
      already know.

      It makes the dinner table look more inviting. (Alas! I do
      come from the Scandinavian district of the big cold
      Smorgasbord with some lukewarm dishes :-) (in Danish: det
      store kolde bord med smaa lune retter!)

      OK, I wanted to be more profound and precise, but many
      other sidesprings have kept me busy – I’d better get this
      posted and see if any of you have other comments.

      Hugs, Sus

      WebMail fra Tele2 http://www.tele2.dk
    • Rita
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 30, 2002
        Dear Sus, Tere and Keiko,
        I like the idea of being more precise in the topic to explore, "How can online communication tools be used to facilitate the interaction of participants in a community of practice in a virtual learning environment." And agree on the three you have mentioned, Sus, YM, TI and iVisit, but I myself need more practice in meeting at iVisit, which I find somewhat more complex, and the only way to learn is by doing...;-) Could we get together there tomorrow Sunday, as we meet at TI -sneak out for a while and try a room there?
        I also agree on taking turns and covering the synch meeting places at certain hours. We could also have a yahoogroup for sharing info in folders, etc. And the name < EVON03WIAweek3 > is ok with me.
        Btw, I love Danish food...., and inviting savoury dishes on a big table to choose from...
        Hugs
        Rita

        Syllabus:

      • dafne Chavez
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 30, 2002
          Dear Week 3 friends,
          As a participant in your week session, I have a question: Why opening a new Yahoo Group, when the whole session already has one, and you can use the folder in the file created for that week to post your information? With a new group,everybody would have to move to that group and then come back to this group for the rest of the weeks. I wonder if it would not be more convenient to ask participants to create their own trial-yahoo group as some of us did in the evonline2002 edition, so they practice how to create a group, set the group settings, create folders, invite people etc. These are only reflections that I wanted to share with you.
          hugs to all,
          Daf
          Rita <rita@...> wrote:Dear Sus, Tere and Keiko,

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          Syllabus:

        • Jacqui Cyrus
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 1, 2002
            Hi:
            I am very new to WebHeads and have not done the traditional
            introduction. I guess I should very soon. I am also working on
            communications with online groups. I have looked at academic writing in
            computer-mediated communications. I am now beginning a project whereby
            I am looking at how participants use linguistic connectors within
            discussions. I am more than willing to share my various drafts with
            you, if you wish.
            -j-
            On Monday, November 25, 2002, at 05:57 PM, <s.nyrop@...> wrote:

            > Dear Tere, Rita and Keiko
            >
            > Here are some comments for the abstract that Tere malied
            > to us some days ago. It is very good, most of it, but as we
            > still have quite a while, we are in no terrible hurry.
            >
            > 1.Ttile: What online communication tools facilitate the
            > interaction of participants in a community of practice?
            >
            > That is a very demanding title, I think we’re dealing with a
            > more specific question, asking
            >
            > How can online communication tools be used to facilitate the
            > interaction of participants in a community of practice in a
            > virtual learning environment?

            Jacqui Cyrus, MA in TESOL
            Doctoral Student in EDIT
            Educational Design & Instructional Technology
            College of Education
            806.742.1997
            Texas Tech University
            Lubbock, TX 79409-1071